Old 05-06-2008, 01:28 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Ann
Nature Girl

Language of Letting Go - May 6 - Feeling Good

You are reading from the book The Language of Letting Go

Feeling Good

Make yourself feel good.

It's our job to first make ourselves feel better and then make ourselves feel good. Recovery is not only about stopping painful feelings; it is about creating a good life for ourselves.

We don't have to deny ourselves activities that help us feel good. Going to meetings, basking in the sun, exercising, taking a walk, or spending time with a friend are activities that may help us feel good. We each have our list. If we don't, we're now free to explore, experiment, and develop that list.

When we find a behavior or activity that produces a good feeling, put it on the list. Then, do it frequently.

Let's stop denying ourselves good feelings and start doing things that make us feel good.

Today, I will do one activity or behavior that I know will create a good feeling for me. If I'm uncertain about what I like, I will experiment with one behavior today.

From The Language of Letting Go by Melody Beattie ©1990, Hazelden Foundation.
Old 05-06-2008, 01:36 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Ann
Nature Girl

When I began recovery, all I wanted to do was stop the pain. Feeling good was something other people did, pain free was all I was looking for,

It was here at SR where I learned to laugh again, mostly at myself...I remember because it occurred to me that I hadn't laughed in a very long time. I laughed hard and I laughed often and surprised myself with spurts of "feeling good".

I remember thinking at the time that this must be some good program if I could laugh at my life and learn to take myself a little less seriously. My sponsor reminded me of that often.

After some time and a lot of work, I am able to live well today, without pain, without the darkness of fear. I see beauty in every day, I smile a lot and laugh often. I have fun. Who knew recovery could take me to this good place?

Hugs
Old 05-06-2008, 07:11 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
11d

I can't remember the last time I laughed really hard. I can tell you the last time I shed tears. TODAY>>>>> 6 months he is clean, but years since I've had a relationship with him. If he relapses he knows that I will leave. I hate to admit this, I feel so ashamed, but sometimes I wish he would. That would be my reason to leave. Isn't that terrible! I feel so guilty for saying that. I guess I am so afraid of what might happen next. I know I am suppose to live for today, but today is misery. I don't think I can handle more. The misery so strong. BUT I do love him and Want a life with him. But that life has to fill my basic needs...