Selfish Addict

Old 05-09-2008, 08:06 AM
  # 21 (permalink)  

It is harder, in a way, now because I see the part I play. And I see his addictive personality that I cannot change.

This is so true for me... the "awareness" just means more recovery work for me, whereas before becoming aware it was easy to blame him (son and husband). I get frustrated with myself because change takes time... but its still worth it and better than how I was before.
Old 05-09-2008, 10:36 AM
  # 22 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by NoelleR View Post
I guess what I'm trying to say here is that this guy may fall into that category of @#$%^, whether drunk or sober.....it's a shame, but sometimes that's the way the world works. Being selfish, although often a trait of active users, is just the way some folks are.....some folks get into recovery and their 'addictive' selfishness leaves them.....and some folks are just selfish, regardless.....let's put the blame where it belongs.....on the person and not on addiction/recovery.
Before my daughter's addiction she was both giving and a selfish ass. She was compassionate and manipulating. She was insecure and independent. She was articulate and a potty mouth. She was a slob and neat freak. She was lazy and hard working. She was a follower and a leader. She was whatever she wanted to be and whichever way the wind blew her.

Her addiction began at 19 and she's now 20 in recovery; it's been a year. My daughter's issues are age related, hormone related, personality related, character related. Then you top it all off with addiction and anxiety/panic disorder.

Some things about her will develop while other's don't. Who and what she becomes is all up to her and all I can do is encourage the best parts of her.