friend of adict and I care

Old 04-27-2008, 07:03 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Unhappy friend of adict and I care

Hi everyone...

I am new here and I just wanted to say hi.Not really sure what to do here yet. Alittle lost. I have been spending alot of time reading and searching for answers. I have a best friend for over 20 years who is in rehab right now. I just seen her friday for her custody hearing for her kids and it was so sad. Her Ex husband gained custody of the kids temporary. I do know that is best but it is still hard because i love her so, and to see this all going down tears me up. While she was using she pushed me away..I should have seen the warning signs, She did this all back in 2004, But was clean for these few years...We trusted her... So hear I sit and think...I should have..could have..would have.... why do we do this?? Oh these damn tears !!!! Yes we were best friends but like sisters.. We had kids around the same time, got married around the same time.. did everything together...EVERYTHING except this. She used and I didnt.

WHen I seen her Friday she was kinda nasty because she said to us that were there that we dont understand a few things and that it isnt easy for her. She has me confused that is why I am here looking for answers. I am sorry if this doesnt make sence. Right now.... Nothing makes sence to me... my side kick isnt by me and I am lost.........
Old 04-27-2008, 10:35 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I would suggest you checking to see if Naranon is available in your area. It's for the loved ones of addicts, and you could certainly use the support! :ghug2
Old 04-27-2008, 11:02 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Hi Kay and welcome. My best friend and I used to ues drugs together. I got clean but for a long time after she didn't and it was hard to watch her kill herself like that. When you are addicted, you don't care much about anything. You become very self-serving. You treat your friends badly because "they don't understand" or you convince yourself (successfully usually) that they were never really your friends in the first place or that they are out to get you. If your friend truly wants to get well then you will see her change back into the person you loved - maybe even better than that. It is a beautiful thing. But until then, protect your heart and just know inside that she is only being cruel because she is an addict and that is what addicts do to the ones who love them.
Old 04-27-2008, 05:37 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Hello Kitty:

That was beautiful, especially about protecting your heart.
Old 04-27-2008, 07:25 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

welcome to s.r. first off an addict does no make sense or they would not be using. your friend can get her life back if she wants it. it is up to her. she has got to make that choice & sadly u can not help her. read around & keep coming back.prayers for you & her both.
Old 04-28-2008, 06:45 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Thanks to all the replies..It really means alot...it truly does. I have been reading alot and have found a Naranon meeting place in my area which I am planning on going to. I know I CANT help her..she has to do that. I guess what I want to do is just help her when she is ready for that. SHe is suppose to get out of rehab on the 10th and I know things are doing to be hard for her because her family washed there hands of her. So I want her to know I am and will be there for her, so I am trying to be prepared for whatever happens. She maybe my bestfriend... but before this we were sisters..she made wrong choices..she isnt a bad person, I dont care what anyone says. I have protected my heart, She did say nasty things but I know it isnt her talking...thanks for listening..or shall i say reading...and for the welcome.