Intervention

Old 04-23-2008, 11:21 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Intervention

An intervention is planned in a couple weeks for my AH. We think we have a plan of detox and then in patient rehab.
Does anyone have any good tips. We haven't done this before, you know.
Old 04-23-2008, 11:57 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Living in a Pinkful Place

((paprika))

no good tips - just prayers for you & your family,
Rita
Old 04-23-2008, 12:14 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Hopefully he will agree to enter rehab. Not to scare you but interventions do not always work. Sometimes they can backfire and shame the alcoholic/drug
addict.
Old 04-23-2008, 12:21 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

I've never participated in a formal intervention, but it did take my son's father, his wife and I all to agree to no longer support my son if he didn't agree to seek help.

He came home one night to a packed bag, a phone number, and the option to call or leave both homes (ex and I)

I was my son's decision to seek help...we just helped him to reach that decision a little quicker.

I wish you the best
Old 04-23-2008, 01:24 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

If he says no, I'm making plans to leave immediately. And I'm going to leave him anyway. I've decided over the past 20 years that he isn't a great person even without the drugs. His brothers will be doing most of the talking, I've already said everything I could say and he doesn't listen to me.
Old 04-23-2008, 05:25 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Hopefully the intervention will work. There has to be some sort of leverage. YOU have to be willing to stick to the consequences you set forth, should the intervention not work intitially. I did one for my XAH (you notice it says "X"). The intervention fell through, but just as the interventionist said when my XAH went to the restroom, he'll be in a rahab in 3 days. I asked him how he knew, and he said because he was once there. Sure enough, that was a Friday. On the following Monday night, he was calling me from work asking me to re-book his flight to rehab. So I guess it worked over a period of days. HOWEVER, after rehab, it's just the beginning. I don't mean to rain on your parade, but my expectations were on cloud 9, and I should not have expected ANYTHING. My XAH relapsed within 2 weeks. DOC is codeine. It was such a let down for me. My dreams for our future were shattered, however, I had a future to live on my own without him. I am now a year and a half into my post divorce. I am 100% better. He isn't. Let's just hope that your addict is one of the few who actually stick to the plan, once a decision of sobriety is made. Prayers for you and your addict!
Old 04-29-2008, 07:57 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

My expectations are not too high. I'm just looking for it as the chance to get away. If he goes, it will just make it easier for me to leave. I won't have to rush.
Old 04-29-2008, 12:40 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Do you have someone there to help you?

Drugs Intervention Referral Process at Addiction Recovery Process Center

Or is this just something you will do w/friends/family and no outside assistance?

Whatever you are doing, I wish you the best of luck with it!

:ghug2
Old 04-29-2008, 09:16 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
hopefull husband

I went through this with my wife about 5 months ago. I was at wits end until someone mentioned an intervention. I talked to a few pros, then found one that clicked and the stress started falling away. Just thinking there was a light at the end was huge for me. Congrats on making that decision. As tough as it is, once you do it, your new life begins. I told my wife I was seeing a prefessionsal to help me, then after all was set up I asked her to come. As the day arrived it came out that I though she needed help. By the time we left for the meeting, she was agreeable to getting help. So we had a plane ticket for a couple hours after the intervention. WE had all her family and mine there, minus our two young kids. Her family had been through the treatment thing with her before, and I was done, so we set some pretty harch boundries, including me being gone with the kids. It went pretty well because she knew she needed help and things were out of her control.
She spent a month at a rehab, and then four months (so far) at an aftercare facility, to deal with a lot of trauma from her past. She's working hard and appears to be doing well.
As someone else mentioned, I'm dealing with holding back my high hopes for a hapilly ever after, and trying to stay real. It's going to be tough, best case. But I have learned one thing, All I can do is take care of myself and my kids.

I felt the same as you, I really only cared about getting her out of the house so I could get my head together and figure out my exit strategy. That's been put on hold as I have regained some hope. I hope we do have the fairy tail ending, but either way, my kids and I will be OK.

I wish you the best. Take care of yourself. Hopefully his family is fully on board and ready to set tome tough limits.
Old 04-29-2008, 10:12 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Still Standing

Paprika,
I do watch some of the Intervention stories on TV. Some of them do work and some of them don't. I really hope that yours' does. It's certainly worth a try if you can do it or at least that's how I feel. I wish you and he success with this intervention.