Language of Letting Go - April 16 - Letting Things Happen

Old 04-16-2008, 02:52 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Ann
Nature Girl

Language of Letting Go - April 16 - Letting Things Happen

You are reading from the book The Language of Letting Go

Letting Things Happen

We do not have to work so hard at gaining our insights. Yes, we're learning that painful and disappointing things happen, often for a reason and a higher purpose. Yes, these things often work out for good. But we don't have to spend so much time and energy figuring out the purpose and plan for each detail of our life. That's hypervigilence!

Sometimes, the car doesn't start. Sometimes, the dishwasher breaks. Sometimes, we catch a cold. Sometimes, we run out of hot water. Sometimes, we have a bad day. While it helps to achieve acceptance and gratitude for these irritating annoyances, we don't have to process everything and figure out if it's in the scheme of things.

Solve the problem. Get the car repaired. Fix the dishwasher. Nurse yourself through the cold. Wait to take the shower until there's hot water. Nurture yourself through your bad day. Tend to your responsibilities, and don't take everything so personally!

If we need to recognize a particular insight or awareness, we will be guided in that direction. Certainly, we want to watch for patterns. But often, the big insights and the significant processing happen naturally.

We don't have to question every occurrence to see how it fits into the Plan. The Plan - the awareness, the insight, and the potential for personal growth - will reveal itself to us. Perhaps the lesson is to learn to solve our problems without always knowing their significance. Perhaps the lesson is to trust ourselves to live, and experience, life.

Today, I will let things happen without worrying about the significance of each event. I will trust that this will bring about my growth faster than running around with a microscope. I will trust my lessons to reveal themselves in their own time.

From The Language of Letting Go by Melody Beattie ©1990, Hazelden Foundation.
Old 04-16-2008, 04:50 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
down the rabbit hole

thanks, needed this one today
Old 04-16-2008, 05:14 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Sunny Side Up

Thanks Ann again. So true, the what ifs, the coulds, the maybes. So crazy to keep assuming things that havent even happened. Putting the things that do happen into perspective and reality is the best thing that has happened for me. I can only control myself, the rest is up to them. I can say my opinion, listen and forget, so easily now. I dont have to understand anymore others logic or doings. Their choice, my choice, can sound cold sometimes but it works for me. Tolerance nil, compassion still there and reality seen.