SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information

SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/)
-   Friends and Family of Substance Abusers (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/friends-family-substance-abusers/)
-   -   Manipulation tactic??? (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/friends-family-substance-abusers/147958-manipulation-tactic.html)

biocat 04-11-2008 07:54 PM

Manipulation tactic???

I think I already know the answer, but I want some feedback.

Is being overly good just another manipulation tactic? My abf does it all - cooks, cleans, laundry, gets up with the baby (sometimes), and treats me like gold (I guess I am like gold in a way - pay all the bills). I think he does all that so I will overlook the drug use (he told me he was done) or at least feel guilty about questioning him "because he does so much for me".

Thoughts?

sailorjohn 04-11-2008 08:44 PM

Originally Posted by biocat (Post 1736504)
I think I already know the answer, but I want some feedback.

Is being overly good just another manipulation tactic? My abf does it all - cooks, cleans, laundry, gets up with the baby (sometimes), and treats me like gold (I guess I am like gold in a way - pay all the bills). I think he does all that so I will overlook the drug use (he told me he was done) or at least feel guilty about questioning him "because he does so much for me".
Thoughts?

I wouldn't even call it a manipulation tactic, more like just something from the addict playbook.

Toby Rice Drews- "You realize that if you are wary, he'll notice it and point it out, and call you crazy for not being happy that he's being nice to you. "What's the matter with you now?" he yells at you. He loves to act nice and put you on your guard, so that you'll look overreactive when you're wary."

Though Ms. Drews does call it a "manipulation tactic".

Good book, would highly recommend it.

ZombieWife 04-11-2008 09:36 PM

Well, how does he do it? Does he point out, "look how much I've done!" or does he do something different?

justjo 04-12-2008 12:20 AM

Its called Payoff. My ex would do the dishes, cook, etc etc (but only a few nights a week) I would offer to do it and he would say no, no, I'll help you out.
Load and behold, 5 minutes later he would be on the internet and all night.
Yes hes manipulating you!!

Ann 04-12-2008 02:15 AM

It's only manipulation if you let it be. Sharing the workload is something responsible healthy people do, and I'm sure you do lots of this in a day as well as earning the money to pay the bills. Does he thank you?

I can think of worse ways to try to manipulate, so for now just don't buy into the motive and enjoy the action.

Just my thoughts.

Hugs

hope213 04-12-2008 03:21 AM

he is doing what he should be doing. he should also have a job & be working it. until you get "it all" do not be satisfied.let him know how you feel about all of this. prayers,

marle 04-12-2008 06:20 AM

I say to enjoy it while it lasts. And if you have any big projects around the house that you have been putting off, now may be the time to ask:) Hugs, Marle

kj21 04-12-2008 10:15 AM

My ex used to do quite a bit around the house, I think he did it to ease his own consience (sp). When he used, he would do extra and be more helpful. then when we would fight he wuld say" it doesn't matter all the good things I do you only remember the bad" just my 2 cents...

outtolunch 04-12-2008 01:11 PM

Originally Posted by justjo (Post 1736640)
Its called Payoff. My ex would do the dishes, cook, etc etc (but only a few nights a week) I would offer to do it and he would say no, no, I'll help you out.

This " help you out" routine is for the birds. He eats and therefore cooking and cleaning up are facts of life, for all adults.

( Sorry for the rant)

faithhopelovejr 04-13-2008 09:07 AM

Oh my gosh yes! Manipulation at its best AND opiate abuse in full force (if that's his DOC)! At least that's what I recognize. The energy level from opiate abuse will allow him to be super maid too. I saw this a million times with my XAH. And you are VERY correct on the outbursts. I always felt like he was looking for a reward, a cookie or a pat on the head for his good deeds. All the while, I knew he was buzzing around on a magic carpet ride from the opiates, and/or he had just returned from a doctor shopping trip in Houston and was very well stocked up on pills.