SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information

SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/)
-   Friends and Family of Substance Abusers (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/friends-family-substance-abusers/)
-   -   Thursday on Oprah (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/friends-family-substance-abusers/147758-thursday-oprah.html)

marle 04-08-2008 01:32 PM

Thursday on Oprah

David (Beautiful Boy) and Nic (Tweak) Sheff will be on Oprah on Thursday. Just thought someone might be interested. Both the books were really good. Hugs, Marle

Spiritual Seeker 04-08-2008 04:05 PM

Thanks for the tip Marle.
I'd read that they were going to be on Ophrah, but thought I'd missed the show.
I have Beautiful Boy on hold at the library.
Usually I don't get to see her show in the afternoon but because I'm and insomniac, I sometimes watch her when she is on again at 1:00 am

imallright 04-08-2008 04:47 PM

Tell me more about the book

outtolunch 04-08-2008 06:24 PM

Originally Posted by imallright (Post 1733223)
Tell me more about the book

http://www.nytimes.com/2008/02/21/books/21masl.html

bookmiser 04-08-2008 08:48 PM

Thanks, Marle. I read the father's book. Very good.
I tried to read Nick's but the graphic discriptions of shooting drugs really bothered me. My own personal codie trigger, I guess. Had to walk away from it. I still own it and maybe someday will finish it, but man! it's really hardcore and am just not ready for it. I can't even watch them shooting up on intervention. I have to turn away. It still rips into my soul.
I'm gonna watch the show though. Thanks again.
Love ya,
Linda

havehope 04-10-2008 02:26 PM

Watching it right now. Pretty good show so far. Very true.

AbsentFriend 04-10-2008 03:01 PM

Originally Posted by bookmiser (Post 1733428)
I tried to read Nick's but the graphic discriptions of shooting drugs really bothered me. My own personal codie trigger, I guess. Had to walk away from it. I still own it and maybe someday will finish it, but man! it's really hardcore and am just not ready for it. I can't even watch them shooting up on intervention. I have to turn away. It still rips into my soul.
Love ya,
Linda

Linda,

I am the same way. I'm not sure if it's a codie thing, or simply a non-addict thing. I am fascinated by what I've heard about those books, and by "Broken," but I can't bring myself to read them.

When I went to NA meetings with my now-exBF, I just absorbed the pain, and couldn't let go of the images they shared. I left feeling like I was in mourning.

I told the exBF that I just wasn't ready to hear about certain parts of his past, also. Even though I knew he was different now, when I hear something for the first time, it feels very present for me, no matter how long ago it happened.

I don't know if that means I shouldn't date any recovering addict at all, or if I need to work on something, or what. It's a little different if I'm not close to the person.

In any case, I'm glad you shared that.

jerect 04-10-2008 03:25 PM

I dvr'd the show, I really hope that my AH who is in the early stages of recovery will watch this.

The show really hit home for me, David's statement that he was addicted to his son's addiction is so true. I let my husbands addiction consume my life and now I know that living or dying is his choice not mine.

My library has both of these books and I'm hoping to be able to check them out tomorrow and read them over the weekend. I'm especialy looking forward to reading tweak. I want to get a prespective on addiction from a recovering addict, I'm hoping that I will read something that will help me.

It's weird because I never watch Oprah but last night I was at the gym on the treadmill and I saw this show being advertised, I rushed home and set up my DVR to record it because I knew I needed to watch this. It was like my HP had me in the right place at the right time to see the preview of todays show.

Done_With_It 04-10-2008 03:49 PM

Originally Posted by bookmiser (Post 1733428)
Love ya,
Linda

My Mom is the same way when it comes to watching movies, shows or anything with ED's or cutting.
I actually 'warn' her if I know about something that will have it.

I personally would rather her not watch the graphics of my ED or the cutting.
I think it's too much for her.
If she knew about my meth habit, It would be the same way.

Like you said about ripping into her soul, I've done that enough to her with my self destruction, I don't want her to have to see more than she needs to.

This was a good show, or what I've seen is.

I like how he (dad) said it stole his sons soul.

I hear people saying all the time that "Their drug" is the hardest one of to get off of, lol, it makes me laugh.
Everyone thinks theirs is the worst.
Fighting to get my soul back from the devil that stole it was the hardest thing to me.
I literally went from Human, to Non, and had to fight to be a human again.or.. that is how it felt.

:ghug

The reality of this show has given me a huge headache.

lightseeker 04-10-2008 06:31 PM

I was just thrilled about the way there finally was some focus on the "family" part of the disease. I thought that they both were very candid and that it was well done

rahsue 04-10-2008 09:56 PM

I of course messed up the vcr recorder!!aghhhh

Lobo 04-11-2008 09:14 AM

Watched it last night. Even though he claims to be sober for 2 yrs. I could see him go into a blank stare now and then. Sometimes I wonder when someone who has done as many drugs as he has that his brain is still not right even after 2 yrs. Part of me felt sorry for him and my other side was complete anger.

A hard show for me to watch. I too became addicted to the addict. I am not the same person I used to be before drugs became part of my world. I don't like what I have become and what it has done to me. And to think I wasn't even the one on drugs.

Like Linda, I could not read these books.......way too hard for me.

Done_With_It 04-11-2008 09:53 AM

I could see him go into a blank stare now and then.
I saw that when he was having to deal with the pain he's caused,
kind of like his brain trying to get through the reality of what he did.

Interesting how you saw it. I may watch it again now, lol.

marle 04-11-2008 12:59 PM

I contacted the Oprah show about doing a program on those that loved addicts, but I guess that I was not famous enough to be on the show, even though I am known around these parts for my cinnamon rolls:) Hugs, Marle

outtolunch 04-11-2008 03:13 PM

Originally Posted by Lobo (Post 1735893)
I too became addicted to the addict. I am not the same person I used to be before drugs became part of my world. I don't like what I have become and what it has done to me. And to think I wasn't even the one on drugs.

I can relate to this and you.

Watching the show was not painful for me. It seems to me to be rare to see and/or hear a dad in pain, instead of denial.

BigSis 04-11-2008 06:57 PM

I tried to pick up "Beautiful Boy" at Costco... but I am not ready. Too close to home, I think. I didn't know the son also had a book. Maybe I'll do better with that one..

:)