he pawned my jewelry

Old 04-04-2008, 04:59 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

he pawned my jewelry

my grandma's jewelry that was passed down to me... it's all gone... i can't stop crying right now... i feel like she died all over again...
Old 04-04-2008, 05:01 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
*~10 YEARS BABY~*

Oh Sweetie, I am so sorry. I think you should file a police report and you may be able to get it back.

I got a camera back that someone stole from me and hocked, because of the Police Report..

I'm so sorry.

:praying
Old 04-04-2008, 05:11 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

go to the police period
that is cruel I pray you are away from him!!!!!

Good luck and I am so sorry!!!!

Pamm
Old 04-04-2008, 05:13 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
play the tape all the way thru

I'm sorry...((((((((hugs))))))))

I agree with Done With It--File a police report ASAP. The quicker you do it the easier they may be able to recover it.
Old 04-04-2008, 05:59 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I am sorry that this happened to you. That is the power of addiction. Nothing is safe or sacred and that is why you need to do whatever you can to take care of yourself and protect yourself from it. And I agree, call the police. Hugs, Marle
Old 04-04-2008, 06:02 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I am so very sorry this is happening to you.
When in active addiction there is no LIMIT to the things they will do to get drugs.

You have a few choices ( that I can think of)
1. call the police and file the report and maybe you can get it back
2. If he has the pawn ticket you can buy back your things............
buying back your own belongings how horrible but if these things have special meaning to you then that may be something you are willing to do ( if financially able)

Please protect yourself in the future..........because this is just the beginning of the lows he may find if he doesnt get help................
Old 04-04-2008, 06:03 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

police never work in this area... i am in nyc, there are so many cases that need to be focused. i remember when i tried to make a report when he took my medication. i was told that if i did not see him take it, i can't file a report.... he is not scared of jail at all... and has no money... he collects disability, food stamps and get free medical... so if anything, my tax dollars are making sure he stays high.... i really hate my life right now.....
Old 04-04-2008, 06:04 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

actually if he pawned it then theres a record at the pawn shop with his name on it............there may even be his prints and him on camera..............
Old 04-04-2008, 06:09 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

i don't want to sound doubtful, but he has done this before, and the police did not help... there are just too many people here to worry about my jewelry... i tried so hard when he took my medication, and as mentioned, if i did not see him steal it, then i can't file a report.
Old 04-04-2008, 06:16 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

I dont believe that you have to see him steal something in order to file a report of a theft, I mean how many people actually watch their things get ripped off?

I think what everyone means is you file the report that it is missing and then if you can locate which pawn shop you can advise the police where to find it...............
Its your decision of course but if its that special to you then I would think you'd take the chance and call to make the report.............at least then you KNOW for sure if theres anything that can be done or not.
Old 04-04-2008, 06:40 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

My AD took about $10,000 in jewelry from me- the first major clue that something was so not right. I did not call the Police. Instead, I went in and talked to the Police. First thing they did was tell me my AD was a heroin addict. I said that was impossible- just impossible.

I decided to not press charges. If I knew then what I know now, I would not have hesitated to press charges cause it got worse, much worse.
Old 04-04-2008, 06:49 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Sorry for your heartbreak
Old 04-05-2008, 05:01 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

I'm sorry hon. My son did the same thing to me. I now own only the rings on my fingers. he stole my wedding bands, earrings and my Moms wedding band that was given to my daughter at graduation. That one I was able to get back at a local pawn shop.
He also stole from his step mom, one of the items being her grandmothers ring.
It took me a good while to understand why, then eventually to forgive. I needed to forgive my son. I'm not sure his stepmom has been able to really let it go.

I had to remind myself why the things were taken...my son was an addict, and he would have done anything to get money. It wasn't personal even though it hurt so bad.
It was to me, a clear indication that things needed to change. I needed that realization and I think the anger over his thieving pointed me in the right direction.
I'm sorry about the stuff stolen hon... I hope things change for you soon.
(((Hugs)))
Old 04-05-2008, 07:09 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

I am so sorry, hon.

The XABF who introduced me to crack, sold my dead mom's wedding ring when I was in jail for 4 days. It was to another user, so I had no way of getting it back. I don't know if I will ever forgive myself for letting him keep it when I got locked up.

I agree with the police report. If possible, I would check with local pawn shops. I'm a recovering crack addict, and know that most of the people who stole/pawned things used the same shops over and over. The pawn shops don't want hassles from the cops, so they will ususally give it or sell it back for what they gave for it. That's why it's a good idea to file a report. If he was the only one who had access, you tell them he's an addict, they may at least file a report.

Hugs and prayers!

Amy
Old 04-05-2008, 07:29 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Sweetie I am also seeing the pattern of you being hurt, are you sure this is what you want for you???you deserve to feel safe regarding you and your possessions.......I pray that you find the strength to take care of you.....How are you doing today??? Are you taking care of you???

Good Luck!
Pamm
Old 04-06-2008, 05:57 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Hello,

I just want to thank you all for your posts. It really means a lot to me. Knowing that I am not the only one that this has happened to makes me feel less alone. I am sorry that your troubles had to be the same, but at least there is a common ground we share.

I had to kick him out and need to just focus on me. I bought myself a canvas today so I can paint (I love to paint). Maybe I will make something that reminds me of grandma wearing the jewelry that I lost... an angel perhaps wearing the stone...

thank you again for all of your support, all that have posted and prayers and who have just read...
Old 04-06-2008, 06:00 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  
Power is not having to respond

Yes, you can file a police report. Then, when it's found, by you, at the pawn shop, you can get it back.
What a terrible thing to have to go through. I hope you're feeling better soon.
Old 04-06-2008, 07:49 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

I'm so sorry for what you're going through- if you can find a way to get out, GET OUT! That's what I just did, about a month ago. He'd pawned all my jewelry, too- (nothing from Grandma, but my wedding and anniversary rings, a lovely ruby and diamond tennis bracelet.. everything of value, all GONE.)

I didn't file a report because he's my husband, and I believed him when he said he'd get it all back...

But nothing changes if nothing changes. I hope you can get away from the situation.
Old 04-06-2008, 08:07 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  

good advise here. i agree with the others, try to get it back. i am so sorry about this.
Old 04-07-2008, 05:03 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  

I'm glad you made him leave, and think the idea of the painting is great!!

When I think of all the material things I've lost due to my addiction, I have to remind myself of people who lose everything in a fire or flood...you hear them say "I still have my memories and my life...I'm sad, but I'll be okay". I don't have mom's wedding ring anymore, but I do have some wonderful memories of her.

I'm glad you are focusing on you, because you deserve it!

Hugs and prayers!

Amy