Ann and Cat- Thanks!

Old 03-30-2008, 08:57 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Ann and Cat- Thanks!

The two of you are awesome and inspiring. For years I have had no answers when someone asked what do YOU think is fun? What would YOU like to do? I knew exactly what other liked to do, but literally my answer was "I don't know, I can't remeber the last time I had fun." My Mom, who by the way is the most incredible, loving, FUN person in the world, said to me, "you have lost yourself. You need to figure out what YOU want, get YOU back" For the longest time, I had no idea what she was talking about. I used to think, "you are looking at me. what in the world are you talking about. This is my life." But, then, somehow, someway the light started to dawn. I started to realize, somehow that I wasn't living and I better catch up.

I love horses and so I decided to return to riding. Of course it helped that my daughter wanted to do this... "it's ok to do this, because she wants to. It's for her, not for me". This step, even though I didn't totally think it was for me, was HUGE. I had become very good isolating. I was ashamed of myself and I didn't want people to know the reality of my life. These steps back to the barn and into a saddle were lifesaving for me. I mean it. I had the comfort and the physical work of the horses, some place to go, some place that was safe and where I could be who I wanted to be. Where I could be me. I started to learn new things, make friends and started to enjoy life again.

These relationships (mostly with the horses! and some fine people who I have mostly spent time watching and listening to) have been so eye-opening. Everything that has happened (good and bad) through the whole horse part of my life has taught me how to be me. It has encouraged me to take steps, try something new and find out who I am.

I am still the same person who gets scared and thinks she is on a roller coaster... but I am finding a bit more joy in life. I think I am finally starting to understand that I WAS lost and I am starting to find my way. Thank you Ann and Cats... your posts always help me to focus and think forward and not to let the roller coaster kill me! HUGS!!
Old 03-30-2008, 01:27 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Ann
Nature Girl

When I arrived here at SR I was exhausted and out of ideas how to stop living the way I was. It was only a few days later when an old member named Smoke Gets In My Eyes (Smoke for short) started a fun thread that got me laughing, really laughing, loud and from my very soul...and it occurred to me that I hadn't laughed in a very long time.

It was that very moment that I knew there was hope, for even a pathetic creature like me. That was 6 years ago this month, and it's been quite a journey these past 6 years but I have been honoured to walk it with all the wonderful people here at SR.

Learning to have fun again, learning to find our dreams again and learning that they CAN and DO come true...that's what recovery is all about.

I'll let Cat tell her own story, but I'll add right here that she has been an inspiration to me too all these years and one of the people who can put a smile on my face faster than anyone I know. She's quite a synchronized swimmer too We met in person for the first time last summer, and indeed she's as terrific in person as she seems right here.

Stick around Imalright, join the fun and then show it to the newcomer who walks in...and who hasn't laughed in an awfully long time.

Hugs
Old 03-30-2008, 06:56 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

Thanks, Ima.

When I first found SR 5 1/2 yrs ago, I was in a lot of pain. I was actively attending face to face meetings, and I was struggling with an impending divorce as well as a teenager who was hurtling out of control. I was living alone, and those evenings at home with just myself and my cats gave me too much time alone in my head. (And, as my friend Hangin In says - don't go there alone... it can be a bad neighborhood!)

I found SR in an online search for help... and I have been a grateful member ever since. SR meets an incredible need for me - the ability to reach out and share at any hour of the day or night. It's such a blessing to know that others are out there, they understand my life and my drama, they care, and they might have some really good experience, strength and hope to share with me.

I have made some life long friends on this site, some of whom I have met face to face, and others with whom I feel a closeness even though I've only read their words. There are people who often make me laugh, some who make me cry, but most make me think and keep me grounded in my recovery. And THAT is a good thing, and one of the blessed gifts of SR.

I've met Ann in person, and she is as delightful as you would expect. She's funny and classy and smart and feisty and I am very privileged to call her my friend. I'm glad you've joined us, Imallright. I look forward to getting to know you better!

Hugs
Cats
Old 03-30-2008, 07:35 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Don't get undies in a bunch

hahaha

Sorry to laugh on a thread that is so touching and wonderful but when I first looked at the title, I was thinking Ann and her cat Toby hahaha

Toby is a wonderful inspiration as well so it fit.

Still Cats and Ann are a wonderful inspiration also.
Old 03-31-2008, 04:42 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Again, you guys are amazing. Although it makes me sad to think there are others like me out there who are having to struggle through like me, it also helps to know that there are others like me and that we can come through ok. I thank God that I found this site. With all the "stuff" on the web, it is amazing that I somehow managed to get to this place... and truly a miracle for me. I only hope that I can help myself and then someone else the way you are helping me. Thanks!:ghug3