New to Sons Alcoholism, but not drugs and being bi-polar

Old 03-23-2008, 09:58 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

New to Sons Alcoholism, but not drugs and being bi-polar

To whomever can help me----

My son is 25 years old, ran away at 15 years and on and off until 18 years. Was on medication for bi-polar until at 15 years; when he got on drugs. Went through the whole Juvenile and Adult Criminal System with Court Ordered Drug Rehab at Residential Place for 11 months before he turned 18 years.

Joseph, along with friends, got over drugs and now are alcoholics because it is legal. Joseph has a son, out of marriage which I presently have custody of (mother is presently in Residential for drugs).

Joseph knows he is addictive personality and says he needs to get into a Detox Center for at least a week. He says meetings of AA and NA do not do anything for him----he has been going to meetings since he was 15 and continues to do so but says it does not help.

He finally is working (I think full time during the week) and is, of course, a high school drop out with a jail record.

Can anyone suggest where he can go to a Detox Center in San Diego County to start getting help-----he is stuggling now to pay rent with roommate and pay child support--------Can you please help me to help my son----I do tough love and do not enable in any way, but I am his mother and would like to give him good news on where to look with low or no cost.

Sincerely,

Colleen:ghug
Old 03-23-2008, 10:57 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

Sorry to know of this situation and all the struggles
you and your family are having.

If it were me....I'd be calling the Salvation Army.
They have several different adult programs all free.

Have you considered a program for yourself?
Both Naralon and Alanon are also free.

Welcome to SR!
Old 03-24-2008, 08:11 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

welcome to SR. I know there are many programs in different states. Call the Drug & Alcohol commission/council on drug abuse in the county you live--they have a list.
susan
Old 03-24-2008, 12:03 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Access and Crisis Line

The County of San Diego funds adult detox programs, including Volunteers of America, and McAlister Institute. I would recommend that you call the San Diego Access and Crisis Line at 1-800-479-3339 to get a referral for your son. The Access and Crisis Line is operated 24 hours a day, 7 days a week.

Good luck to you and your son,
Susan