crack question

Old 03-22-2008, 09:15 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

crack question

This may go for all addictions, but I'm dealing with a Ah to crack!
I know we have a few recovering addicts on here who may enlighten me! I have always wondered how he can go out on a 1-3 day binge. Come home tail between his legs, so sorry-blah blah!! Then a day or 2 later he is horrble towards me and everyone else in his path! I understand he is "coming down" or what not. But how does this work, from pathetic to horrid! I feel like I'm living with Gekyl(?) and Hyde!! Thankfully I'm on my way out-or he is for that matter. I won't have to deal with the mood swings any longer, but always wondered about this.
Old 03-22-2008, 10:31 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
*~10 YEARS BABY~*

I don't really have any answers to that question. But I know for me I had other bad habits that weren't normal. IMO, anytime you do drugs they take your mind hostage. You are acting under their will.
He may not be on them in a few days, but his mind wants them, therefore his brain is still hostage to the drug.

For me and many others the reason the drug becomes so addictive is because it raises your endorphins, seretonin, etc. and then they come crashing down way way below to the 'normal' level. That alone will make you mad, angry, sad, confused at the world and everyone in it.

Just my 2 cents. 8

Don't know if this will help, but it may explain a bit better..

0 to 7 Stages of Crack Cocaine Use and Withdrawal Pattern

0) Currently using: Auditory hallucinations, hypertensive, hyper vigilant. During usage a person may think they hear sirens, cars pulling up outside, music, people talking, etc. Some people will experience tactile hallucinations such as skin crawling or seeing bugs on their skin. They will be extremely alert to the point of paranoia — perhaps suspicious of any movement around the area where they are using. It is common to hide out in the area where use is occurring and refuse to answer the door.

1) Panic stage: 1-3 hours after last use. During this phase money for more is the prime concern. In this phase a person may look for something around their house to sell or pawn or may consider where they may beg, borrow or steal something to sell for cocaine. Looking for lint on the rug hoping something has fallen is common at this point. In this acute withdrawal period, people have been known to try to rob crowded public places (mall stores, convenience stores, fast food restaurants) to obtain goods to sell or money for more crack. The withdrawal is so intense and craving so high that the person has little ability to think or reason logically.

2) Crash Stage: 3-24 hours after last use. Depression; remorse (suicidal); brain is in desperate need of rest but the chemicals (serotonin) necessary for sleep have been depleted and it is difficult, at first, to sleep. In this phase one wonders why they spent all their paycheck, used funds that did not belong to them, pawned valuable household items for less than actual value, stole from persons they truly care about, etc. Often, under the influence of cocaine-induced depression, one makes promises to never do it again in this phase and believes it. Highest risk for suicide is during this period.

3) Honeymoon Stage: 1-5 days after last use. Characterized by feeling very good. The craving is not noticeable or is easily manageable during this phase. The drug effects seem to be wearing off and one is starting to regain confidence in their ability to handle the addiction. During this phase it is common to hear a person say, “I don’t even think about it, I’m not going to have any problem with it. I do not even want it anymore.” A delusive way of thinking that ignores their past cycles and paves the way for the next binge. The chemical messengers of the brain (serotonin/dopamine) necessary to enjoy crack are still depleted and behind this lack of interest in crack. This is a dangerous stage as it is easy to think there is not a problem and therefore, why worry about it? People let down their guard during this phase and commonly use defense mechanisms, e.g., rationalizing and minimizing, to convince themselves this time they are cured and so have no need of further support or treatment. There is a high risk for people in treatment to leave during this phase as they no longer feel, or are aware of, the physical and emotional affects of the original crisis.

4) Return of Craving: 5-14 days after last use. Tremendous upsurge of acute drug hunger, depression, anger. The body has produced enough serotonin/dopamine for the person to want to use more cocaine but not enough to affect stability of mood and emotions. During this phase one may experience vivid dreams, fantasies, and acute drug hunger. Thoughts may cycle around using until a person feels like giving in to the obsession to use. Defense mechanisms (rationalization, intellectualization, denial, minimizing) begin to make a strong comeback after being knocked down by the original crisis.

5) Emotional Augmentation: 14-28 days start - up to 1-2 years. Over-response to the normal stress and events of everyday life. At the top of the mood swing one is unusually happy and at the bottom one is unusually sad. The state of making mountains out of molehills. This is related to biochemical responses induced by strong emotions that stimulate areas where mood and mind altering drugs act on the brain. The body is now seriously undertaking the repairs of areas damaged by drug use and is replacing important chemicals needed to regulate mood and emotions. As a result, one is slightly off balance chemically without being consciously aware of it. There there is a strong need for accurate feedback on one’s behavior from an objective support group. (Recommend AA or NA or another type recovery support group.) This cannot be stressed too highly for long term success in recovery. Also, low impact exercise - walking, jogging, bicycling, low impact aerobics - and a well-balanced diet will shorten this phase and reduce the severity of the symptoms. Irritability, depression, anxiety, mood swings, memory loss, difficulty concentrating, short attention span, nightmares, insomnia, fatigue, and headaches are some of the normal recovery symptoms of the emotional augmentation stage.

6) Covert Cravings: 28-35 days. Secrets and bad judgments characterize this phase. Craving is not as strong on a regular basis but one may have periodic strong cravings and not want to admit it for various reasons. Thinking it is a sign of weakness, poor moral character, that they are not working a good program, that they simply should not be having cravings. Generally, the cravings are of a low level, e.g. euphoric recall (glorifying war stories), vivid dreams that trigger cravings upon awakening, or just general mild drug hunger. Without someone to talk with concerning these normal protracted withdrawal symptoms, they can evolve into high level cravings, e.g. acute drug hunger, drug seeking behavior, obsession and on to compulsion. Again the need for a support system is strongly recommended.

7) Cue Conditioning: 35 days upward. Cue conditioning - referred to as triggers - could be money, anger, disappointment, music, a film, or extreme joy. Anything strongly associated with using could cue/trigger a craving. The strength of these cue cravings will diminish in time but continue on for years although becoming few and far between. They can catch a person off guard and evolve into higher level cravings. Again, a long term support plan for sobriety AA/NA or recovery support group is recommended to alleviate these natural manifestations.

It is a normal part of recovery to have strong cravings due to acute withdrawal 3-7 days and then continued cravings at a lower level well into protracted withdrawal 6 months-2 years. Time and severity of protracted withdrawal depend upon type, amount, and frequency of drug used. Again, a program of good nutrition and low impact exercise can alleviate these normal recovery symptoms.

Please note that behavioral symptoms: compulsion, obsession, loss of control over time, place, amount used and continued use despite adverse consequences are secondary symptoms of the disease process. With continued treatment of the disease with abstinence and a good support system, these behavioral symptoms will diminish to normal discussions over time.
Old 03-23-2008, 05:32 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I can only compare it to my own experience with quitting smoking. It has been around 40 days and there are still moments when I could tear someone a new a******, if you know what I mean. He has learned to handle problems in his life by not handling them. When things overwhelm him, he smokes crack. To smoke crack he must disappear because that is the way with crack. The high lasts for a very short time and so it must be smoked continuously. Then he looks for a place to eat and crash and then he picks a fight so he can have an excuse to leave again. I am glad that you are getting away from it because it does not get better. Hugs, Marle
Old 03-23-2008, 06:20 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Done and Marle are right.

I'm a recovering crack addict. Crack addiction just makes you want more and more and more...there is never enough. The high IS very short, and you are immediately trying to find out how to get more.

Even if he is not using for a few days, it is probably only because he can't afford it. When I couldn't afford it, I was extremely irritable. However, if I managed to get past the first few hours after using, then I was guilt-ridden, ashamed, and hated myself (but I was still thinking of how soon I could get some more).

I'm glad you are getting out of the relationship. I left my XABF because he lives to get high. Please make sure your money is protected, and that he can't get hold of anything he could sell for crack....my entire household was sold for crack, including the vacuum cleaner! I also wouldn't let him drive your car...he can rent it out to the dope boys, and you may not get it back.

Take care of you, and let him deal with his own consequences. Things will only get worse unless he seriously wants recovery, and that is something he has to figure out on his own.

Hugs and prayers!

Amy
Old 03-23-2008, 06:20 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
the girl can't help it

where's ((((avilhead))))
Old 03-23-2008, 06:32 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Anvil's probably not awake yet I think it's still early on the west coast.
Old 03-23-2008, 06:49 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

thank you!!!
Old 03-23-2008, 09:31 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Looking For Myself...Sober

Get out and as far away from that situation as possible.
Been there..done that.
All great advice already.
Coming down...So sorry..what did I do? Theres no way back from this..I just want to die.
After a few days...I gotta clean this mess up. Full force ACTING like I am making an effort to make it better. Yea right.
After that..Critical about everything EVERYONE else is doing. You couldnt breathe without me critisising you. Pretty funny for someone who just went insane to do.
Anything setting me off because my defenses are up. You cant tell me nothing. And if you try. I am going to show you.
Crack litterally makes you irrational and insane.
It doesnt change. It doesnt get better.
Your better to get away fast.
Only the addict can make the changes needed to get better.
Old 03-23-2008, 10:03 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

WOW!! Thank you guys so much. This has helped me a lot. Stuff I guess I knew somewhat already, just really needed to hear it!!
Old 03-24-2008, 06:37 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

I wanted to add that Ive noticed with both my AH and BIL and discussed this with many others that especially during that 3 to 7 days they can almost taste it on the back of their throat. For AH and BIl you'll hear them cough, and for them the more they cough the more signs that they are going to take off into active use within a few hours. AH will actually start vomiting at times, especially if waitng for a ride or whatever in anticipation. At both there last rehabs, youd hear guys cough and those same guys would bolt within 24 hours.

The cough is different than an ordinary cough
Old 03-24-2008, 08:46 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

The whole "cycle of using" you described is a pattern of crack addiction. The high only lasts a few minutes but the negative results of the high last for days / weeks/ months and will always result in going back out again.

If nothing changes nothing changes. Meaning that as long as he stays in that pattern of behavior, he will never quit using. Don't be a part of his addiction by believing this time it will be different (because obviously it won't) or participating in the psychosis.
Old 03-24-2008, 05:34 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
One day at a time...

I too had the same questions 2 yrs ago when I met my ex-abf that was addicted to Crack. I had to get sick and tired of being sick and tired of believing lies that this time it would be different that he is done and doesn't even think about getting high anymore. I was told to run for the hills too. I had no idea what I was up against but made the decision to find out. The pain I experienced took me to my knees. The day came when I said why do I continue to accept this because things never changed they got worse and worse. I tried everything there was to make his problem better I drove myself nuts. For me I was blessed with seeing a glimpse of what he could be and I hung onto that, the truth is they will not change until they are ready to make that commitment. And they don't care how it makes us feel. Of course they do after a binge they want us to believe that and I did for a long time it felt so good to think he needed me and I was going to be his angel and make everything better. Crack is a very powerful drug you watch the people you love drive themselves to the ground over and over again. Until they surrender in their own time it will never change. I wish you the best of luck and you are in my prayers.