Would like both support and suggestions here please.

Old 03-19-2008, 08:11 PM
  # 21 (permalink)  
Southern through and through

Originally Posted by mtnmagic View Post
I did good, but I did it all alone. I hope to learn that I can and will be accepted so I don't do this to myself again.
Mtn....NO LONGER are you all alone. No longer do you have to do any of this recovery stuff alone! I think that is one of the greatest gifts of recovery, that we who chose to work a program have recovery friends around us to help and encourage us.

I, like the others, want to encourage you to get to meetings, both AA and Al Anon. There is such great support in face to face folks. Now pair that up with this board, and you will have some mighty fine support!

Congratulations for setting the boundaries that protect you and send a message to your son, the message that says "I'm no longer enabling you to stay in your addiction." I think that is a wonderful gift to give your son!

And congrats on your days of sobriety. I pray you'll keep on keeping on seeking and working your recovery.

Hugs,
Hangin' In
Old 03-19-2008, 09:34 PM
  # 22 (permalink)  

Hi,
I have a son at home right now who had problems with addiction to OXY's The Demon Drug I call it. Thank God he went for help and checked himself into rehab. He stayed about 80 some days..Seemed so much longer than that, but that was his stay time.
During this time I used this internet site as a tool for how to handle situations for his return. I prayed a lot and found myself even closer to God than ever before. I also, had family counseling with him during which time he was in rehab..We did this on the phone, but it was very helpful.
I have always loved and sheltered my boys. I thought I could fix everything, but this was one thing I could not fix and it absolutely drove me insane!!
That was my problem...but with all the help and support from these wonderful people on this site, THE LORD, and family counseling...I realized I was enabling my son. I have made it very clear, if there is a relapse...GET HELP!! But if he was doing me the same way your son is doing you...Believe me, I would have done the same thing!
I love my son so very much and it would break my heart to have to do it. But how are they suppose to learn from their mistakes if we keep enabling them. You would not be doing him any favors by letting him do this over and over. You did the right thing hon!!
As a mother, I know your love and guilt that you feel...There is nothing any stronger than the love of a mother....The only Love any stronger would be the love that GOD has for all of us.
You just need to stay strong and pray that God will watch over him...There's not much you can do. I will be praying for your son and you! I am very proud of you for being sober 35 days! Do Not Let Him Blame You for His Decisions!! My grandfather who lived with us was an alcoholic, but the most wonderful man that ever walked this earth. He recovered from his alcoholism later in life and found the Lord, but because he had an addiction, did not mean I would or did. I chose a different way of life and know one should ever blame someone because of bad choices they make. But for some reason, they tend to do that. But now that you are not there to blame, maybe he will open his eyes.
God Bless and Prayers,
Machele