the first few days were awful, but he had been slowly improving
rightnow he has been vomiting violently for about 3 hours
is this the detox?
not sure if we should go to the hospital or what is going on
help!
Old 03-07-2008, 11:51 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
same planet...different world

GO! Call first - tell 'em you're on the way - what's going on - but go!
Old 03-07-2008, 11:54 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

i don't want to over react
we took his blood pressure
a bit high, but nothing crazy
no fever
Old 03-07-2008, 11:55 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I would go to the hospital too. My thoughts are with you.
Old 03-08-2008, 12:01 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I have to chime in here and really encourage you to take your husband to the ER.
Like barb suggests, call, let them know what is going on and then go. Withdrawals often need medical attention for different reasons. Now, take a breath, breathe in, out call, then go.
We are with you floridawife and husband, ok?
Old 03-08-2008, 05:34 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

might want to call first to see if the hospitals have a medical detox program...some will, some won't. They would be best equipped to handle these situations.
generally withdrawal from oxycontin/opiates isn't fatal (i've just heard people want to die!), though withdrawal can be fatal from benzos and alcohol.
My AH got really ill during withdrawal too. I was very scared but ended up not taking him to the hosp. It might have made me feel better to get a doctor's opinion, I was just worried about money....couldn't afford a big hosp. bill. Plus when I called one of the medical detox programs, they told me it would be at least 8 hours before he could be seen by the team and that they were no actual bed available.
Is he vomiting blood, or does his vomit look like coffee grounds. Then, go to the hosp. immediately. Also, if you are unsure about whether or not his addiction was truly only to oxy, but instead could include alcohol or benzos (like valium, xanax, etc), take him.
Anyway, since it is hours since you have posted this, I guess you have either already gone or hopefully things are getting better.
Our thoughts are with you! Let us know how things go!
Old 03-08-2008, 11:43 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

we went to the hospital and just came home about ten mins ago
it was not a fun night
i had to have a neighbor come over to stay at the house while my kids slept
the nurses and doctors were not in the least bit nice when the realized they were dealing with someone detoxing
he was given iv fluids, one shot for the nausea and then one shot for pain
they did a cat scan of his stomach
everything came back negative
so, the upside is that aside from feeling like death, there is nothing medically wrong with him bp was slightly elevated due to pain
dr. wanted to keep him over night to manage pain but we wanted to come home
he did want to replace one drug with another
i know nurses and docs deal with this all the time, but this is our first time and they really made us feel like dirt
i even overheard the nurse talking to another nurse calling my husband a "drug seeker:"
i wanted to tell her that if it was drugs he was seeking the hospital would not be the place
we just flushed about 50-60 oxys and getting more would not be an issue
thanks for your thoughts everyone
Old 03-08-2008, 11:57 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by SunnySue View Post
generally withdrawal from oxycontin/opiates isn't fatal (i've just heard people want to die!), though withdrawal can be fatal from benzos and alcohol.
In all my research ( my own obsession) I have yet to come across a single reference to death by withdrawal from opiates.

Like you said, it's a different story with alcohol and benzos.
Old 03-08-2008, 12:07 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Detoxing is the easy part.

The cravings and drug seeking do not go away.

Most people need inpatient or outpatient rehab and some kind of program to work.

The real hard part comes after rehab.
Old 03-08-2008, 01:36 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

I can't count the number of times my XABF tried to kick heroin and crack on his own. When he couldn't eat or drink and spent most of his time in the bathroom vomiting and/or with diarrhea, I gave him the same thing I gave my children when they were young. Pedialyte. Walmart has their own brand which is less expensive. It's a liquid to drink that has electrolytes and XABF said it helped him feel a lot better. Look for it by infant formula. It kept him from getting dehydrated.

Good luck. I know this is a difficult path to walk. It's unfortunate some in the medical field do not even attempt to understand or have compassion for addiction.

Stay stong. Remember to take care of yourself and the children. Keep coming here. You'll find a lot of wisdom and support.
Old 03-08-2008, 01:43 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

It's a good thing floridawife. Maybe he'll be so humiliated by the experience that he won't want to go through it again. However, put some boundaries in place so that if he does relapse you'll be doing the right thing to protect yourself and your kids. He's a big boy. He got himself into this mess. But you and your children never signed up for this and it would be a terrible tragedy if he drug you multiple replapses over and over and over.... like has happened to most everyone on this website.

PS. Seriously think about what the nurse said. She was calling it like she saw it. A drug seeker. Like it or not. Acceptance is key to recovery. Your husband has no one to blame but himself if he relapses because he chooses not to get help for his addiction. And like someone said, and I know from personal experience, quitting is the easy part. Staying stopped is the most difficult thing he will ever do.