Naranon

Old 03-07-2008, 01:02 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Awaiting Email Confirmation

Naranon

I have a quick question, I'm really wanting to attend a Nar-anon meeting but the closest one I'm finding is about 30 miles away and I don't have the means to go that far, would it be acceptable to go to a Na-anon meeting I know that it isn't the same thing. I'm very new to all of this, I'm really wanting to learn more about the lifestyle and the process so that I can understand the lady in my life and the trials and tribulations that she goes through. I believe that she and I both have a lot to offer each other, I just need to better understand the road to recovery.
Old 03-07-2008, 02:08 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Ann
Nature Girl

I'm not sure what NA anon is, Shawn, but perhaps call and check it out. It may be the same as Naranon. The one that is quite different is Narconon which is Scientology based and quite different.

Alanon is also used by many members here because there are more meetings and often the only meetings near where they live.

Alanon, Naranon and CoDA are three very similar programs and in the end, they are not about the substance but about finding a healthier way for US to live.

Good luck and let us know how you make out.

Hugs
Old 03-07-2008, 12:28 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I'm sorry I'm still a little sketchy on some of the acronyms, I was referring to a Regular NA meeting, there are plenty around the area where I am, but getting to an actual NARanon meeting is proving quite difficult.
Old 03-07-2008, 12:38 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Update, Just saw the alanon reference and I have found a few that are in my area and with in reach, Thank you for your help.
Old 03-07-2008, 12:40 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
We Do Recover

Go to one of the NA meetings---they will be able to help you find what you are looking for. Plus, if you stay/attend an open meeting--for both addicts/friends and family of addicted loved ones--who knows>maybe you can talk to somebody there. Good luck! :ghug3
Old 03-07-2008, 04:19 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

So do you think I would better find what I'm looking for at an NA meeting than AL-anon meeting (since naranon isn't an option for me where I'm at)? I'm wanting to be able to participate as well as learn, and at an NA meeting I'm not really sure what I will be able to say...

I definitely plan on sticking around and attending for quite some time. I understand that this is not an overnight process and its not something I'm going to rush.
ANGELINA243 As you know from my other post I'm going through some hard times right now with the one that I love. She doesn't really know that I'm going to be attending any of these meetings on my own, she is telling me that she needs space right now so I'm going to do these things on my own, and give her the space that she needs. I know there has been talk in the other post of her just looking for a reason to break up, but I don't think that this is the case.
I have been speaking with her mother quite a bit, and she said that she needs to figure things out in her life, She feels that she has gotten off the path that she needs to be, and she feels that she isn't keeping with commitments and promises she had made to herself, a lot of this I think has to do with where she works at, and where I live both of which are about an hour away from where she lives, and its in in the city where she was for the hardest and worst part of her life before she found recovery. She doesn't feel like I'm the reason she just isn't sure if she wants a relationship right now or if she wants to have a relationship, it is with someone that understands the recovery processes, that is how I find myself here. I don't know I just think that there could be a chance, I don't know or I could be chasing the wind, But you know what, she is it worth it, and what I have found with her isn't something I can or want to just replace.
Old 03-07-2008, 04:23 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Ann
Nature Girl

Shawn the Alanon meeting would be about you and help you to learn to handle what you are dealing with. That would be the best meeting for you or any of us who live on the codependent side of addiction.

That said, you might learn a lot at an NA meeting also, but they are for and about the addict, so maybe listen rather than expect them to be able to help you with your issues. Also, only an "open" meeting allows non NA members in, so maybe check before you go to make sure it is an open meeting.

Good luck, let us know how you make out.

Hugs