Up for discussion

Old 03-02-2008, 03:14 PM
  # 21 (permalink)  

Moose,

Great post....
I would like to say that great minds think alike, but I do not want to insult you....

I will be 50 years old in November... married at 19, widowed at 33, 2nd marriage to a wonderful man 2 years ago at 48....
Now, with the grace of God, I am no longer the bread winner of the family, and I no longer needed to work at a job I hated ....
and as an empty nester (2 addict children no longer at home) my husband convinced me to quit my job last year and re-invent myself.

Sad to say, almost one year later..... can't find anything that I am good at....
I do work in an office part time (30 hours a week), but like you said something about teaching a dog to type/roll-over is easy....

I do know how you feel,
Colleen
Old 03-02-2008, 03:26 PM
  # 22 (permalink)  
Don't get undies in a bunch

I think in part for me...
When I started to look in the mirror and become accepting of what others would say that was good about me, I started to let out the real me and thus my talents a little more. I became accepting of the fact that maybe I am not all that bad of a person that I though I was. I am ok in my book.
Knowing my talents and how good I am does not make me conceded because I also know my limits as well and they help me stay humble.
Old 03-02-2008, 03:28 PM
  # 23 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by mooselips View Post

I think I have acquired a natural talent for taking things as they come,
(there has to be a word for that...)
Serenity
Old 03-02-2008, 04:23 PM
  # 24 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

Moose,

I know for a fact that you have some amazing talents: you have an artistic flair that I absolutely do NOT possess; you have a talent for making people feel at home and comfortable; you have a talent for taking complicated things and making them easy to understand. I think you take for granted all the unique talents that you've been given... but it's because they come so naturally to you - like breathing.

PS You have a talent for synchronized swimming as well. (I have pictures)

Hugs
Cats
Old 03-02-2008, 06:29 PM
  # 25 (permalink)  
Jujubee Queen

OMgosh!

I totally, (said in a Valley girl type of accent) forgot about the synchronized swimming...now THAT I'm very good at....

So...are we saying our talents lies in our positive attributes?
Old 03-02-2008, 06:35 PM
  # 26 (permalink)  

Our positive attributes and our passions. Hugs, Marle
p.s. Cat, how about posting those pictures so we can better appreciate Moose's talents
Old 03-02-2008, 06:59 PM
  # 27 (permalink)  
Power is not having to respond

I went to art school for a few years and I still can't freaking draw that well!! LOL, I do have to say that even though I wasn't born with talents that make a lot of money, what little I do have keeps me from going insane. I like to paint. Time seems to disapear and so do the problems.
I think hobbies are awesome ways to get away from it all.
Old 03-02-2008, 07:03 PM
  # 28 (permalink)  

Moose,
I haven't many talents by the popular definition of the word.

But I discovered that I have the ability to sit with someone who is in pain, and let them talk in a way that makes them feel (finally) listened-to, as though they are the only important thing in my world at that moment, and in a way that helps them start getting better. I discovered it by accident.....someone pointed it out to me.

I think this might be the type of thing she's referring to too. It might be aptitude for a learned talent, or a god-given talent like perfect pitch (which brings joy to the ears) or a simple talent like mine, or like your way of mixing comfort, humor, and strength.

I think a talent is some sort of unique gift we give the world, whether it's born in us or just learned well.

That's my interpretation, at least. FWIW

GL
Old 03-02-2008, 07:04 PM
  # 29 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

On a more serious note, yes Moose, I believe our talents are our positive attributes, but also some things that are as yet undiscovered and/or undeveloped. I am fluent in Spanish, and I know there are things that I am supposed to do with that which I am not doing yet. I'm still a bit afraid to fully use that talent.

And, if you happen to be a Christian, there is a lot wirttne about discovering one's spiritual gifts. Those are talents as well, and often worth looking into:

apostleship, compassion, discernment, evangelism, exhortation,faith, giving, healing,
helping, interpretation, knowledge, leadership, miracles, prophecy, servanthood, sheparding,teaching, tongues, wisdom.

I did not mean to turn this into a religious discussion, I am just putting those out there as potential talents that you might have and had not thought about.

Another interesting sidebar is the talents that our As possess. I know mine have a few...
Old 03-02-2008, 07:22 PM
  # 30 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by CatsPajamas View Post

apostleship, compassion, discernment, evangelism, exhortation,faith, giving, healing,
helping, interpretation, knowledge, leadership, miracles, prophecy, servanthood, sheparding,teaching, tongues, wisdom.

I did not mean to turn this into a religious discussion, I am just putting those out there as potential talents that you might have and had not thought about.
But though they are listed as talents we find in the bible, they are not just religious talents.
The 12th step of AA covers many of them when we use the 12th step.
Old 03-03-2008, 11:03 AM
  # 31 (permalink)  

Was just thinking of something...
A business meeting vs an open meeting/new member meeting.
How I would fit in at each kind of meeting would tell me more about where and what my talents are. I do not like change so that is the only good thing I would bring to a business meeting. In some cases that could be a negative but as for helping to keep things in proper order and by the rules...it is a good thing.
Now as for a new members meeting... I need learn/improve my skills so I take notice of the new member but once I realize who they are, I could then use my talents and walk over to them with a welcome and a smile. I am not a full steam ahead people person because I am an introvert but my talents bypass my being an introvert and have me want to reach out to others.
Old 03-03-2008, 02:22 PM
  # 32 (permalink)  
Jujubee Queen

I'm still giving this some thought....

I'm waiting for my AAA HA! moment....
Old 03-03-2008, 03:57 PM
  # 33 (permalink)  
Rest peacefully Sonny Boy

Moose - I've never met you, or seen your home or the people around you, but my impression of you by your words are that you have a great organizational skill and the ability to pull things togeather to where they compliment each other. I envision your home, as one of those homes that just radiate warmth, and love. Not just the type you would see in a Better Homes Journal, but one that is just as beautiful, but with an added something, a personal touch.

I'm one of those people that can't color co-ordinate or decorate in any way or fashion. It takes a gift to be able to take a room and turn it into a confortable wonderful place to be in. I get the feeling that you are one of those special people who can do that and not even realize what they have done.

A decorator, a planner, an organizer. Your artistic canvace is the things that surround you. I'll even bet that when you are outside you can do the same thing, create an environment of a peaceful surrounding.

I get these impressions just from the personality that I see on this board, you have an artistic side that I don't think you see. You have an organizational side that rivals the best wedding planner out there.(any high stress planning) You work well under pressure and problem solve at a drop of the hat without panic. These are gifts.

If I knew you better, I'll bet I could point out several others. But I'm just a stranger that doesn't know everything about you, and I can see these things. The person that knows you the most is the one that has all the information, you. Until you can see yourself in the same light that we see you in, then you still don't give yourself credit. You have a whole basket full of talent.

Sometimes we see our surroundings so much that we don't see anything special in them, but someone new sees them and they see beauty. If you step back for a second and just look around you, your environment will show little things that YOU did that makes it so special, maybe not just one, but the cumulative effect of it all.

I could be way off base, but I'm just putting into words what I "see".

Hugs and Happy Hunting of Self.
B
Old 03-03-2008, 06:48 PM
  # 34 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

Frankly,

I've seen the cabin on Moose Island, and you are 100% right on target. It's a lovely, warm, inviting place. Everything in it and around it radiates love, oneness with nature.