I'm seeing some positive changes in my AH

Old 03-01-2008, 09:30 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Restoring myself to sanity

I'm seeing some positive changes in my AH

My AH has been going to AA meetings every single day for the past week, going on his own free will and coming home with a positve attitude. He chose AA instead of NA because there are no NA meetings in close proximity to our home. But I don't think it matters because an addiction is an addiction.

My AH doesn't really say what they talk about in the meetings and I encourage him not to because of the whole Anominity thing. He has come home expressing a desire to get a sponser. I have seen him studying 12 step material and just the other day he used the word God in a positive context. Saying something about turning all of this over to Gods will. This is a man who has no use for religion or spirituality.

I have always thought that my AH drank to much, he would go through a 6 pack of beer in a night at times. he always denied he had a problem. Well, in the past week he has not brought one once of Alchohol in the house.

I don't know what he is hearing or learning in those meetings but something is clicking for him. He is changing, little by little he is changing into a wonderful person, the person that I fell in love with.

We both still have a long way to go in our recovery and we will probably both be in Alanon and AA for the rest of our lives but if it invokes this much positve change in each of us then we will go for the rest of our lives. This program works it really does. I had given up hope for myself and my husband untill AA and Alanon came along.
Old 03-01-2008, 10:06 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

probably?

ruh roh....

If you want to obtain and maintain emotional sobriety, that "probably" might need to be removed from your vocabulary.

good luck, glad things are better.
Old 03-01-2008, 03:22 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

This is very good news, that he experiencing the miracle of "the rooms". Keep encouraging him to go meetings (and then stay the heck out of his program!!). You are doing great- even if he relapses, once you get a taste of this way of life, there is tendancy to get into recovery again. very hopeful situation, if you ask me.
Old 03-01-2008, 03:33 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Administrator

((((Jerect))) I hear the hope and happpiness in your post...that's wonderful! I'm so glad you are both committed to working recovery and seeing the benefits of program. I know it has made a huge difference in my life. Hugs
Old 03-01-2008, 03:46 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Good for you jerect!

I just hope to god that his is (like mine) a genuine attempt at recovery.

The friends and family posts are the most difficult for this AH to read. But I do read them.

It absolutely kills me to read of the spouses who have given up and say "good riddance!"

Perhaps they have sound reason for doing so. Perhaps it is a matter of survival, of saving their children and themselves. But it is beyond painful to read.

Because you see, if not for the support of my family and my Lady Love, I would not, could not be writing this.

Don't get me wrong, I am recovering for ME and no one else. Otherwise, I might blame failure on someone else.

You have, like the people who love me, courage beyond words. It gives me strength. It gives me faith in love. It gives me faith in humanity.

I'm two weeks into my recovery from alcohol. Mine was a six pack or a little more habit, too. Just as deadly as anyone's, however. M'lady says I'm a different man. I believe her. I believe in me. It will take some time but that woman will learn to trust me again.

godspeed

warrens