Words that trigger me

Old 02-24-2008, 11:35 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

Words that trigger me

I had a conversation with my Norm (my normal BF) and he made the remark that something was "stupid". I had this HUGE rush of emotions/ feelings... all because of one word that took me back to another horrible place and time. He wasn't calling ME or any action of MINE stupid, just a situation that was "stupid" according to him. And he was quite surprised by my reaction - a mix of anger, fear, defensiveness etc.

It made me realize that certain words are obviously a trigger to me, and it's funny that it doesn't seem to matter WHO says them.

Do you have any?
Old 02-24-2008, 12:37 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

When I first started spending time with my now husband, he was playfully holding my wrists and sitting on me all in fun. He is the kindest man I have ever met. He is 6'4" and 230.

I threw him off of me and the bed. He was stunned.

It was a reaction to my exah pinning me down not in fun.
I also would react to certain words or little things he would say(my new husband).

I finally realized that because I let the abuse go on so long and get so bad, that maybe I am afraid that I won't recognize it and so I tend to overreact.

Kind of like having been at war and hearing those sounds.

I now try to stop and think if I am overreacting.

But even after 21 years away from my exah(rest his soul) I do still react defensivly at some times.
Old 02-24-2008, 02:03 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Wow...Lynette...that is very powerful stuff. It makes so much sense that you would tend to over react. I hope your husband is patient and understanding about it. The wounds sure do take a lon time to heal, don't they???

Same with you cats and the stupid word ! Wow ! Isn't amazing how a simple word can trigger those old emotions?

For me...whenever anyone says "I promise..." I cringe inside. I don't want anyone to promise me anything...that way I won't be disappointed and hurt. I still walk around with my dukes up.... I wonder if I"ll ever be able to put them down???

I know one thing...I can put them down when I come here. What a blessing...:ghug3
Old 02-24-2008, 02:11 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

Originally Posted by outonalimb View Post
For me...whenever anyone says "I promise..." I cringe inside.
Wow...me too Out
I now trust people, not promises. And those I trust don't need to promise... I know they will.

Another trigger is the word "mom" in a certain tone. As soon as I pick up the phone I brace, even now, years after.

(((Hugs)))
Old 02-24-2008, 03:00 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Ann
Nature Girl

Not words, but "meeting" people somewhere. My house or theirs is safe but to "meet" anywhere downtown or at a theatre just doesn't cut it for me. Too many times I stood waiting forever and got overwhelmed by a feeling of abandonment. I hate meeting anyone anywhere.

Good thread, Cats, as usual you got my head going.

Hugs
Old 02-24-2008, 03:47 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I'll work on it...

I told you about ________ ...

Being with someone who has more than 2 drinks in less than a half-hour

I'm sure there's more, just can't think of them right now, and I'm hoping I'll let some of these innocent sentences go, but the gut clenching that comes with them is amazing - mine is still quite fresh. I'll be curious next year, the year after, etc. how long and what is left.

Keep asking the question Cats -
Old 02-24-2008, 04:05 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
remember to breathe

oh sheez, do I ever know what you mean.
My RAS has a pair of shorts that when I see them I get those feelings, apparently he wore them one too many times when I caught him with drugs. Oh the silly things that can throw us off balance!!
Old 02-24-2008, 04:21 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

How about "No, that's not what I said. I said xxxx"

Which of course is the exact opposite of what he actually said. Grrrrr

I also don't like "So when are you coming home, mom?" as my AS used to have really REALLY big (unapproved) parties at my place when I was out of town on business.

Ah, triggers.
Old 02-24-2008, 05:36 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Power is not having to respond

My trigger isn't always a word, it's more like a situation. When someone starts criticizing me, it's all I can do not to reach over and knock them in the head.
I have heard enough criticizm in my life and, unless it is going to do me a great deal of good, I dont want to hear it.
Old 02-24-2008, 05:43 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

My trigger words ae your'e crazy. Maybe I am, But I dont want anyone telling me so.
Old 02-24-2008, 06:34 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Ann
Nature Girl

I thought of my trigger words. "You're not going to believe this but....."

He's right, I'm not going to believe it.
Old 02-24-2008, 06:57 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Text messaging....
it was fairly new right before ah left, I used to wonder why he played with his cell phone so much! Is it any wonder I consider myself technology challenged???
Old 02-24-2008, 07:21 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Jujubee Queen

My trigger would probably be, whenever someone raises their voice...... I quickly go in the other direction, or hang up the phone.

Most likely, as a result of growing up in a dysfunctional home.

Hugs,
Old 02-24-2008, 09:55 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  
Wounded

Everytime someone tells me "I'm sorry". I always reply..."don't be sorry...you did what you wanted to do" It just comes out and people look at me quite oddly at times.
Old 02-25-2008, 06:24 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  
Rest peacefully Sonny Boy

"trust me", "I promise", "I swear", "stupid", "crazy" "I really do love you"

"Trust me" puts the hair on the back of my neck straight up.
Old 02-25-2008, 06:47 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

There IS one line that always cracks me up, no matter what:

Hey Mom! Watch this!!!

In fact I am laughing now
Old 02-25-2008, 08:28 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

"don't worry" "I've got it under control"
Old 02-25-2008, 11:14 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  
Living in a Pinkful Place

I've read other that talk about situations that are triggers for them - that is a little more for me that words.
My worst trigger, somedays is my doorstep. I stand there, not knowing what is on the other side of that door since my AH's relapse and change in his recovery path. I know that anytime I walk thru that door I could walk back into the same things I lived with prior to our wonderful time in recovery. It is so frightening that I cannot move.

Then that voice of my God that lives within me says, maybe AH slipped back, but you & I haven't - whatever is beyond that door - WE can handle, WE have options, choices and plans. Walk on thru - you are no longer alone.

Still a trigger, but not just a trigger of fear, but also a trigger of my recovery.

Wishing you Serenity & Joy,
Rita
Old 02-26-2008, 08:34 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Mine would be "i'll be alright", or "I'm going to a meeting." (for months he went to a meeting then took off to use) Another weird thing is not hearing a RUSH song on the radio after seeing him....it's weird but it usually happens as I'm driving home. Puts faith in me. Oh the rituals i've developed
Old 02-27-2008, 12:45 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  
On a tear

"I swear to God..." Probably the most certain way I could tell a lie was coming.

Also, I get triggered when I perceive anyone in a position of Power (whether physical or financial or authoritarian) uses that power to threaten, harm, belittle or hurt another person. In fact, I can find myself getting SO out of control, that I know it goes back to my dad and some of the abuse from my childhood. That hurt little girl is still inside simmering... and when she sees a bully - watch out!