Had our 1st appt with the therapist today

Old 02-20-2008, 01:22 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Restoring myself to sanity

Had our 1st appt with the therapist today

Ah and I went to our first meeting with our therapist today. The theripist did not sugar coat anything for my AH. He basicly told him, I can't help you, only you can help yourself. He also told AH that he needed to go to NA meetings 3times a week and he gave him a paper that the NA leader has to sign off on.

I think my AH has mixed feelings about this therapist. I know he wants help, he told me that he was going today with me or without me. I think AH thought that the Therapist was going to prescribe him drugs to curb his withdrawels.. the therapist did not, I dont think that the Therapist can do that anyway as he is not a phychiatrist. The Therapist also told my AH that he needed to stay away from alcohol as well as pills because it was also a mind altering substance. That did not sit well with AH. AH does not have an alcohol problem but he does like a beer every two or three days.. I agree with the therapist.

Last night we went to a family group meeting. My Mother in Laws friend who is a Recovering addict leads the group. There was a guy there that offered to be AH's sponser. I got very positive vibes from this group and from my AH. They gave me a list of Alanon meetings that I could attend and suggested some AA meetings for my AH. They also told us to keep coming back each week.

I'm so overwhelmed right now. I woke up this morning angry at my husband. I don't know why I was angry but I was just angry. I'm scared for me and my husband. I know that I can fix me, but I'm not so sure how my husband is going to go about fixing his self and only he can do that. He is resistant to change and the responsability that comes along with it. I'm not sure that he understands the concept of recovery. I think he thinks he can go to a few meetings, get sober and go on with life.. We all know it doesn't work that way. I'm worried about his health right now. I know sometimes it's dangerous to stop taking pills without the supervison of a Doctor. When the therapist asked my AH what he was taking, he listed off a whole bunch of stuff, more stuff then I knew about. I know sobriety doesn't happen overnight and recovery is a life long process, I just wish I could convince myself this instead of being in a state of constant anxiety. I'm going to an alanon meeting on Sunday morning, an AA meeting meets next door at the same time and My AH is going to attend.. Hopefully this will only be the beginning.

Sorry this is so long, I just feel so overwhelmed right now.
Old 02-20-2008, 01:38 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Smile

Good for you!!! For taking the first important steps. Appointment with a therapist (she sounds very good by the way) and committing to attend Alanon Sunday morning. Make those alanon meetings a PRIORITY for you no matter what your husband chooses to do for himself. It will make you stronger to battle the anxiety and anger and the other emotions.

keep up the good work!
Old 02-20-2008, 03:03 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

these are good beginnings...............just try to remember regardless of what hes doing the meetings are good for you............try to keep your focus on you and changing you and you'll find that your doing all you can...........because we cant save them and we cant fix em
Old 02-21-2008, 01:06 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I can relate to your story so much! It could have been me writing it. I have my first session with my AH and the counselor Sunday. And I completely understand what you are talking about when you spoke of being angry with him but not really knowing why. I feel like I have spent the last 6 months waking up angry with him. The way I figure it, I had been so mad at him over the things he had put me and our family through, that I just kept that anger in for so long that it eventually was all I felt. I could never put my finger on why I was always angry but through some personal counseling I found that the anger had to come out but instead of me blowing up, it jus came out slowly, everday. I'm still trying to work through the anger and it is by no means gone. But I find myself happier now that I'm not constantly angry. Good luck and if you ever need to talk, Please PM me!......Julie
Old 02-21-2008, 01:40 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

FYI..alcohol is a drug.

Keep coming back!:ghug3