SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information

SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/)
-   Friends and Family of Substance Abusers (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/friends-family-substance-abusers/)
-   -   anyone know anything about Thorazine (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/friends-family-substance-abusers/144212-anyone-know-anything-about-thorazine.html)

lostparent 02-18-2008 07:14 PM

anyone know anything about Thorazine

AD was put on Thorazine said it's for her panic attacks. Is it something an addict should be taking? Looked it up on line an one place referred to it as a "chemical lobotomy". So I was wondering if it's commonly used for panic attacks or are there other drugs that might be better.

splendra 02-18-2008 08:32 PM

Years ago I had what was called a nervous break down and was put on Thorazine boy I tell you I could not function at all on the stuff. It messed up my coordination I could hardly walk on the stuff. It made me constipated on top of all of the other stuff.

I know several other people who had very negative reactions to it too. I do not think it helped me, it slowed me down and it seems that it took me a very long time to be able to do normal things again even after I stopped taking it. I was only on it for a few weeks. I felt like I had something terrible done to me and I would have never consented to taking it if I had any idea of what it would do to me.

I do not like chemical solutions for me. I will always look to more natural ways of dealing with my conditions before I ever consider some man made chemical compound that is manufactured so some chemical company can make money off of my illness.

SunnySue 02-18-2008 08:40 PM

Thorazine (chlorpromazine) is an older drug. It is used for many things ranging from schizophrenia, mania, to nausea (especially in chemo patients).
It has multiple effects on the body that produce both the therapeutic effects as well as side effects like drowsiness, dry mouth, and sometimes movement disorders.
I would say that it is sort of an unusual choice for panic attacks....but that it could probably be useful for this. Mostly probably due to its sedative properties. Its choice may be based on the presence of other psychiatric conditions or for failure of more traditional options. Typical choice for panic attacks would be to try a SSRI (a class of antidepressants). Though, these can take a while to see the full effect (up to 8 weeks). Sometimes, physicians will use a sedative medication like a benzodiazepine (like valium, xanax, etc) in some patients as needed for panic attacks but these generally shouldn't be used long term because of issues with tolerance and dependence. Benzos should be avoided in addicts because of their potential for abuse and because they act very similarly to alcohol on the brain.
Anyway, I would say that Thorazine is not a typical first choice med for panic attacks, but that it may be useful. It is not associated with abuse or addiction, so I would think its use would be fine in the recovering addict/alcoholic.
Hope this helps. If you have the chance or are able to involved in your loved ones healthcare, try to have a open dialogue with the treatment provider. They may have the best justification for their choices!

lostparent 02-18-2008 08:42 PM

I do not like chemical solutions for me. I will always look to more natural ways of dealing with my conditions before I ever consider some man made chemical compound that is manufactured so some chemical company can make money off of my illness.
I agree with you on that...an I don't like the jail putting AD on this medicine. Now I'm worried how she'll be when she gets out the the meds are stopped. They don't offer any kind of support or rehab to help yet the put her on this.

lostparent 02-18-2008 08:45 PM

SunnySsue...Thanks she is in jail an it was their Dr that put her on it. maybe they just use it to keep them calm so they are easier to control.

SunnySue 02-18-2008 08:51 PM

lp - that is exactly what I am thinking when you said that she was in jail. Honestly in that situation, I would be highly suspect of whether she needed the medicine or not. Not to be paranoid or anything, but you do sort of wonder about it. At least it is a medication that can be stopped quickly without consequence.

sleepygoat 02-18-2008 10:25 PM

The only reason I can think of that they put her on thorazine instead of something like Xanax is that Xanax is addictive and gets you high (benzodiazipine) while thorazine does not.

Impurrfect 02-19-2008 04:15 AM

One other thing...the jails will use whatever is the least expensive. I'm guessing that since it's an older drug, it is probably very cost-efficient. Unfortunately, the jails don't put you on the BEST medicine, they will put you on what they have.

I don't know about it being addictive, but I know that most people on it can't stand it because it really slows you down...they call the way people walk when they're taking it "thorazine shuffel". I don't agree with them putting her on it (just my opinion) but I know how jails work. I know when I was locked up, I was put on prednisone for my back (history of ruptured disc) and prednisone makes me EVIL. I told them they had to put me on something to calm me down, and I was put on vistaril, which took the edge off. I don't know of any prisons who use xanax, ativan, or any of the newer "nerve" medicines...both because of the cost and the addictive potential.

Hugs and prayers!

Amy

caileesnana 02-19-2008 06:19 AM

We used to use thorazine injections on patients who were wild and out of control. Like impurrfect said, they begin the "thorazine shuffel".

Prayers your AD will reach her bottom now that she is in jail,
susan

lostparent 02-19-2008 10:32 AM

Wonder if she had to deal with things without being given any drugs would be better.Not that I can do anything about it.

caileesnana 02-19-2008 06:03 PM

depending on what drug she is coming off of, and her mental status, they medicate them for their own protection. We only know what they tell us and I've learned it is about 30% true!
stay strong,
susan
:Val004: