Dual Diagnosis

Old 02-11-2008, 10:31 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Dual Diagnosis

My daughter finally got herself kicked out of the mother-in-laws house.
She admitted herself to a 30 day program last Wednesday. They are holding her in the psyche ward until a bed is available in the program. (run by St Joe's in philly). On Sunday the Dr diagnosed her as bipolar and started her on Seroquil.

Is anyone else familiar with this problem or can give me some insight on how this and addiction are treated?

She is 31 now, and it explains a lot about recent behavior. I hope this is her bottom and the start of the way back up.

It is hardest on the 2 kids. One is 7 and the other 3.

Any thoughts would be appreciated.
Old 02-11-2008, 10:33 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I know there are several mom's on here w/ the same AD's diagnosis. Mine was dx bipolar and medicated, then 9 months later said she was doing drugs the whole time, so who knows which came first w/ her, the chicken or the egg!

Prayers she continues with the help that is there,
susan
Old 02-11-2008, 10:55 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
remember to breathe

I got your private post before I read this, The girl down the street that went to St.Joe's was there about 1 1/2 years ago, (her DOC was heroin) she is still clean but is on a methadone program (my son refused methodone for his own personal reasons so I don't know anything about it) but 1 1/2 years clean tells me the facility did it's job.
Old 02-11-2008, 03:33 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Irish,
I can relate to you because my daughter has dual diagnosis. She was a former heroin addict and other substances I might add. Herion being her DOC. Presently she is sober, off drugs for about 8 months now. However her problems don't just go away. She was put on Seroquil and Topomax. Both are mood stabilizers for Bi polar 1 which is her diagnosis. Bi polar 1 means that she has more manic episodes and less of the depressed
side. In other words she doesn't dip real low. Her physc doc took her off of Seroquil and put her on Lithium last Monday. The reason for that is she has a lot of anger and the change would be to her benefit. NOT.....she really went manic on the Lithium and also acted like she was drunk and she wasn't. She had lack of coordination. It was really bad. She stopped taking it and now she is not on anything. She is scared to take it because of how she felt. So we are back to her being her very bit--y self. I can't even be in the same room with her she is so miserable. I recommended that she call her doc or go back on the Seroquil because it did help. She just said "I don't want to keep talking about this" end of story. So, I give her space and hope she makes a rational decision about her mental health care. Kind of like the Spear's family.

I don't know anything about the rehab that your AD is in but if it has a good reputation, and a good staff of professionals she will be put on the right meds to treat her bi polar disorder. Once she is on the right meds she will more than likely stop self medicating with street drugs. I was told that when a person with bi polar does not get the proper treatment they will most likely self medicate. That is where the street drugs come in at.
I know because we have been on the roller coaster for 7 yrs. My RAD is 26 and I have been through h-ll with her.

I'm sure it makes it twice as hard when there are children involved. My RAD doesn't have any children, but she lives with me, so I have a front row seat to all of this awfulness. When someone with bi polar does not get proper treatment, the manic side of this disorder makes them do risky and irrational things.

I am hoping that your AD gets the proper treatment and follows through with it. That is the biggest problem...getting them to follow through.

Do you know if she is Bi polar 1 or 2? Patti Duke has a book out that tells her story about being bi polar 1 and alcohol addiciton. I haven't read it yet. I got a lot of good info on the Mental Health forum. A lot of good people there have helped me. You might want to visit there.

I wish you and your AD the best. PM me anytime if you want to talk.

Hugs..............Lo
Old 02-12-2008, 12:49 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Ann
Nature Girl

It is difficult for any doctor to assess something as serious as this when they have not maintained any length of time in sobriety. Often, when they stop using the drugs, they either no longer need the medication or they discover they do through testing at that time, and again, only a doctor is qualified to make this assessment.

The good news is that she is willing to go to a program that will teach her how to cope with life on life's terms...on a better path. Her kids will be better in the long haul if mommy can live a healthy life. They're young, for now maybe just tell them mommy is sick and is getting treatment. That's honest and at a level they can accept.

Sending hugs and prayers for all of you, addiction surely is a family disease.

Hugs
Old 02-12-2008, 06:24 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Content with my past

I can relate to your situation. My son has bipolar disorder and was released from the pysh ward a week ago. He went thru a serious mania stage, at the time I had no idea what was going on. He has seen a pdoc for years for his adhd and they said he had bp but never did much with it. He did take a mood stabilizer but never took it like he should of. He also drinks and smokes weed but since he has been out, the smoking has stopped but he has drank a little. He is giving me a fit on taking some of the meds and it scares me because I know how important it is to take them. He is 18 and there is only so much I can control. Hang in there and believe that once she gets stabilized on the meds she will be better off. I am hoping that when the right meds work for my son he will not need to self medicate with alcohol or pot. I just take it day by day and hope for the best. Wishing you lots of luck with your daughter and know you are not alone.
Old 02-12-2008, 06:53 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Get Caught Reading

(((((((IrishEyes))))))))

Welcome to sr. I'm Linda and my son is the addict in my life.
I found out he was addicted to heroin when he was 19.
5 years of he!! I went through with him. I've been here at sr
since October 2005. This program saved my sanity and possibly my
son's life. I had him arrested after he robbed our home. He spent 6 months
in the county jail. When it was time to be sentenced, I dropped the charges.
He kicked heroin while in jail. After his release, he began drinking. I began
detaching with love. Eventually, after lots of aggrievation and heated
arguments, lol, he met with a drug counselor and doctor. He was diagnosed
bi-polar about 3 months ago. He no longer drinks, but was smoking pot occasionally until the doctor decided to try lithium. Since then, about 3 weeks now, he has no desire to get high at all. He takes 100 mg, 3 times a day. He also takes Seraquil at night to help him sleep. I didn't know alot about bi-polar disorder, but your right, it does explain alot of things about the way my son's life in general has been the last 10 years. I'm so glad that he took it upon himself to see a doctor and get a medical diagnosis.
I read what I can about the disease of drug addiction/alcoholism.
It appears that alot of people who suffer from mental illness self medicate
in the beginning. Then they become full blown addicts after a while.
I'm glad she's taking the steps and going into a rehab.
Sending prayers up for your daughter and for you.
This is a great place for support, prayers, and feedback.
Keep coming back and we'll talk again soon.
Hugs from one mom to another,
Linda