My first meeting that wasn't

Old 02-09-2008, 05:33 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Restoring myself to sanity

Thumbs down My first meeting that wasn't

Last night I attempted to go to my first Naranon meeting. I drove and hour there and an hour back only to sit in the parking lot for thirty minutes waiting for someone to show up.. no one did..

Yeah, I was disapointed because I was really looking forward to getting my life back.. but I'm trying to look at this as a glass half full situation. Maybe I'm meant to be with another group and not that one.. and even though Naranon will give me the tools and support to get my life back.. I'M the only one that can get my life back and I have to look at that with my AH's situation too.. He can go to meetings and counsiling and all that stuff but he has to be the one to want to get sober.

So in the meantime, I'm searching again for another group, there has to be one out there some place, and I'm workng on the 12 steps on my own. I'm also going to make an appointment to talk to someone professionaly. I'm exhausted, depressed and I just want to climb back in bed and put the covers back over my head but I WILL not let AH's addiction take a hold over me in that way.
Old 02-09-2008, 07:18 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

I'm so sorry there was no one there but so glad you are going to keep working on your own recovery.
There are meeting lists on Naranon and Alanon websites and usually there are contact numbers. It might help to call ahead to be sure the meeting is going on. Soemtimes new meeting groups are slow to get a following.
I would also suggest not discounting Alanon. There are usually more established Alanon groups and sometimes that means longer recovery and more experience strength and hope. Even though technically Alanon is for F&F of Alcoholics, many members face drug addiction as well or exclusively. The programs are the same and the focus is on us, so the qualifier doesn't really matter.
Hugs and continued prayers.
Old 02-09-2008, 08:58 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Southern through and through

Jerect,

I'm sorry that happened to you, but your attitude sounds very good. Your HP has a plan, and obviously that meeting wasn't in the plan. Disappointing? Yes, but you keep trying to find one. I know your HP will lead you right to where you belong. He did that for me.

And keep reading here. This is a great place to read, learn and post. I have always used this board, along with my meetings, to work on my program.

You keep at it, Jerect. I'm proud of you for trying. This is the first step to getting your life back and you can do it.

Hugs and prayers,

Hangin' In
Old 02-09-2008, 10:16 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

That is exactly what happened to me with my first Naranon meeting! I ended up finding a different Alanon meeting, and going a couple times. But I really like the family group meeting (it's not officially al- or nar-anon, just a family group) at the rehab my boyfriend went to. So it's all worked out in the end. Keep trying, you'll find the group that you need!
, Vanessa
Old 02-09-2008, 04:00 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Keep trying - you're wise to see that HP might have other meetings for you to consider. What I got from this is the reminder that suiting up and showing up is important to do. The meetings are really for the newcomer...and it's hard for the newcomer's to find meetings if we don't go.

Wish that I had been there in that parking lot to welcome you. I would have been able to welcome you in person to a program and fellowship that will provide you with the tools to grow - and get your life back!

Keep trying......SR has been my "meeting in a pinch" (and so much more) for almost 3 years now.

Hugs - Donna
Old 02-11-2008, 10:32 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

My first meeting reply

I am on the NarAnon Family Group of Georgia state committee. I'm sorry you had troubles finding the NarAnon meeting. Did you go to the Monroe meeting on Wayne Street? We used to meet there Fridays at 8, but now we meet Tuesday at 8 across the street.
If you could tell me where you went and where you got the information about the meeting, I can send them an update.
If you need us, we are at naranonga.com or you can call at 404-633-2421.
I tried other 12 step groups for many years, NA. AA, CA but I didn't find home until I found NarAnon. From my first meeting, I knew that was where I belonged. I hope you come back and try us again.
If you could help me I'll make sure that whoever gave you the NarAnon meeting schedule gets an updated version. Your trip was not wasted, you might help us help others. Thanks
Old 02-12-2008, 08:02 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Thanks J, I'll find out who is the chairperson in Fla and have them look into the matter.
I hope you find us in Georgia, we have a wonderful fellowship and we are not that hard to find.