Inspired

Old 02-08-2008, 09:44 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Inspired

Last night I went to a chip meeting at my step-daughter's rehab. They were giving chips to both residents and alumni. It was inspiring to see the number of people receiving two year chips. It was also inspiring as they went around the room and everyone identified themselves and said how much sober time they had. There were many people with five or six years.

It breaks my heart to hear of people that have been in rehab multiple times and are still using. One woman that recently graduated from the rehab after five months relapsed soon after.

This was inspriing because it reminded me that many people do make it, often not on the first try, but they do.
Old 02-08-2008, 11:22 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Ann
Nature Girl

It is inspiring indeed and it inspires me to go up a few forums and see the people there with lots of clean time too. I'm sure it warmed your heart to know your step-daughter was seeing that too.

My son is one of those people who has been in and out for many years (presently out), and he has been to maybe 10 rehabs over the years. But I don't consider any of them as failures, he learned some valuable things there and got tools that will help him when he's ready to surrender. Also the fact that he kept trying, even though the rehab count was increasing. Sometimes it may take 100 tries but the important thing, I think, is to never give up.

Your step-daughter is in my prayers, that this time will set her on a better course and that she too can be one of the "old-timers" one day.

Hugs
Old 02-08-2008, 11:42 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I've long said that one of the best things that we anons can do for ourselves is go to an AA or NA open meeting. The sobriety time does tell me that it can be done. Lots of people require multiple trips to rehabs before they are ready.

Thanks for sharing this! Donna
Old 02-08-2008, 06:26 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Jujubee Queen

Andy,
Thanks for sharing the hope.
Sometimes that's what I need to get by, little tidbits of hope.

So happy for your step daughter, she sounds like she is doing so well in her recovery.

Hugs,
Old 02-08-2008, 07:39 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

went to my regular friday night AA meeting tonight...(Im alanon). there was a gal there for her 2nd meeting.....she talked about how her drinking hurt her kids, marriage....and how she know believes its a disease and that she hasnt any power over it.

Said she wants to get sober more than anything to be a better mother.

just thought Id share that for anyone who;s wife/husband wont get sober now.

Theres always hope. Seeing the other side in AA meetings is ALWAYS rewarding.