OT: Apartment hunting

Old 02-07-2008, 11:08 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

OT: Apartment hunting

Now that I've saved a bit of money, went to check out my options today. I went to a place called Promove - they narrow down your selections by what you want, usually know of "move-in specials" and do it for free.

I told the guy that I had actually dealt with Promove before, but things didn't work out and I couldn't move at the time. He asked me "what happened" and I just told him "drugs". He says "been there, done that. 4-5 years ago I was trying to get back on my feet and stay clean". So, any of the apts. that met my criteria, but were in a "bad area" he put them away and said "you don't need to go there". Another angel in my life!

I know where I want to move now, but can't do it yet. It is going to cost me $1000 to get into the apt. and will still have to have power, gas, cable, and INTERNET on, but I'm pretty darn close. The apts. are 2 miles from work, gated community and nice. That darn Elvis is going to cost me $300 deposit (other places were up to $500)...he's only 8 pounds and too lazy to tear anything up! The guy asked me if I would consider leaving Elvis at dad's and I said "nope".

So, I'm going to continue to save and work toward my goal. Dad has come around and told me that if I find a bed (don't have one) before I move out, he has room in his storage shed. Says he's "not really" worried about me going back on dope..my actions show him I'm serious about recovery. I told him I could get crack any time (unfortunately, from coworkers) but don't want it!!!

In 2 days, I'll have 11 months. I started to beat myself up, thinking of how much clean time I had before that. But I realize, I was clean, but NOT recovering. It took my relapse to appreciate how grateful I am for my life...good and bad, ups and downs. I've come way farther in this 11 months than I ever did when I was just clean before.

I was a bit nervous when I went, today...hope you don't mind that I took you all with me!

Hugs and prayers!

Amy
Old 02-07-2008, 11:12 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I am proud of you! The $$ will be there for the right place at the right time!
Glad you are doing so well.
love ya,
susan
Old 02-07-2008, 12:33 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Amy, You know that I am here for you. Good luck and congratulations on the 11 months. Time flies, huh Hugs, Marle
Old 02-07-2008, 02:39 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Amy:
I am so happy you found a place! That will be sooo exciting when you do move out.

I've been watching the calendar, thinking about how you almost have 11 months. Yay! And you are right, clean time does not always equal recovery time. I am so happy for you!
, <3, Vanessa
Old 02-07-2008, 05:48 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Amy,

Congrats on the almost 11 months.....8

I am glad you are close to getting a place all your own (with Elvis of course)

Colleen
Old 02-07-2008, 05:56 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
get it, give it, grow in it

Your life just continues to become more abundant.
Your progress is awesome.
It seems that you surely will achieve your goals.
Old 02-07-2008, 06:34 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Well, potential problem.

Looked on the website for the apt. complex and my conviction is reason for "automatic denial", even though it's not a felony.

I e-mailed the guy at Promove and asked him if they are strict about this. Also asked him if I am going to run into this problem everywhere. I KNEW a felony would be a huge problem, but mine isn't a felony. I also asked him if it would do any good to have a personal recommendation from the county cops - they eat in my restaurant all the time and know me.

It's going to be pretty bad, if the only apt. I can get into is the "bad" part of town. I'm not going to let this get me down, though. One door closes, another one opens. Besides, I've got so many people praying for me it's got to help.

But I tell ya, these consequences suck! One more reason to not make any more bad consequences!

Hugs and prayers!

Amy
Old 02-07-2008, 09:33 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Administrator

(((((Amy))))) I'm so glad you are almost to the point of making that move, and I have no doubt at all that the right place will come to you. At least around here, most landlords are more concerned with doing credit checks and personal references than with non felonies.
Just keep doing the next right thing and putting one foot in front of the other. I see so many blessings in your life...so many little miracles and little angels. And congrats on the 11 months...What's the 1 year date? we'll have to have a big party! Hugs
Old 02-07-2008, 10:55 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
same planet...different world

Good for you sticking with your committment to Elvis.

Sticking with committment .. feels like the way to go.
You're gonna wind up where you're supposed to be whether you
get involved in the maneuver-ing of circumstances .... or not.

Right?
Old 02-08-2008, 04:04 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

After I posted this, dad decided to hook up his new printer and somehow "disconnected" the internet for all the computers in the house. Doesn't he KNOW how much I need my SR?!

Thanks again everyone. I truly believe that I will end up in apt. that is exactly where I need to be and can afford. I'll just keep doing the footwork, and let the rest fall into place....God hasn't let me down yet, and He's not going to.

BTW....one year is on Mar 9th

Hugs and prayers!

Amy
Old 02-08-2008, 06:12 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

It is so weird how so often we can look back at things that happened that we thought sucked at the time, and they turned out to lead us down another, better path. I'm sure even if you don't get this apartment, you will find another one where you are meant to be.

Vanessa
Old 02-09-2008, 05:08 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
remember to breathe

Well since today is Feb 9th

HAPPY 11TH MONTH AMY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Ya know you do have lots of angels on your side so don't worry one bit, you're going to get the best apartment in the world!!!!!!!
Old 02-10-2008, 05:39 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

YEAH....I'm getting close to one year clean!!!

I talked with the guy who is scoping out apts. (place called Promove) and he said that before I fill out an application (which costs at least $25 per application) that he will talk to the leasing agents to see if having a conviction will prevent me from renting...that way I won't waste money applying to places that we KNOW will turn me down.

The slump at work has picked up, and after 11 hours last night, waiting tables, my 46-year-old butt is tired BUT, my managers are letting me pick up extra hours and shifts, so will keep adding to my moving fund and keep looking. My best friend is getting out of prison the 21st and wanted to come live with me, bringing her 15-year-old daughter. I told her "no". I love her dearly, but she now gets to deal with HER consequences, while I deal with mine. Guess I will have to explain to her that it's not in my hula hoop to fix her problems.

I'm not even stressed about it. I KNOW I'm doing exactly what I need to, and HP will point me in the right direction.

Okay, I'm off to sleep....another long night at work.

Hugs and prayers!

Amy
Old 02-10-2008, 06:27 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Good for you...keep on doing the next right thing and everything will work out just the way it's supposed to...
****{HUGS}}}
Old 02-11-2008, 06:45 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  
remember to breathe

you sound so great Amy! I know things will happen for you.