1st time here

Old 01-31-2008, 12:46 PM
  # 21 (permalink)  
'Round and 'Round I Go....

It's true...don't think that just because you make a decision to remove yourself it has to be a permanent forever thing.

I still keep in close contact with my ex. I still care about him and still want to know he is okay.

The important thing is to set boundaries. I don't set boundaries for him because his side of the fence is his side of the fence. I have learned to set boundaries for me for what I want and don't want in my life. Believe me...my boundaries come with a lot of internal conflict but I still enforce them upon myself whether I'm comfortable with it or not. Comfort doesn't always mean it's good for me...sometimes the decisions that are good for me bring discomfort.
Old 01-31-2008, 01:02 PM
  # 22 (permalink)  

(((Hugs)))

I'm glad you realize that you need to put the focus on you and your son.

I know, for me, I am reluctant to make a change, even when I know it's what I need to do. When I was smoking crack, I knew I was ruining my life, but didn't do anything about it until I was forced to (got locked up). Luckily, I had enough clean time to want to stay that way.

Like everyone says, this doesn't have to be the end of your relationship unless you want it to be. Think of it as time apart to find out what you both want from life. You may eventually end up together (if he wants recovery and his actions prove it) or you may not. Whatever happens, you and your son will be so much better off being away from an addict.

Please do keep us posted.

Hugs and prayers!

Amy