"Today a Better Way" jan 17

Old 01-17-2008, 07:11 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

"Today a Better Way" jan 17

(This kept it so simple and to the point, so I had to post...)

DETACHMENT

A word we frequently hear at [ ] Anonymous meetings is "detachment". One might imagine that detaching means giving up all love for the chemically dependent person. But this is far from the truth.

Once we detach ourselves from involvement in the illness of drug or alcohol abuse, we can freely love the person who has the illness. We do not stop caring; we simply detach emotionally from the user's problems. We can pull away and refuse to get tangled up in the consequences of chemical abuse. We let our loved ones feel the painful results of the drugs. We allow them to accept responsiblity for their own actions. We stop protecting them. For it is pain that lets a sick person know he or she needs treatment and often leads to healing and recovery.

TODAY I WILL remember that I help the most when I help the least.
Old 01-17-2008, 09:01 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Southern through and through

Good reminder, Sleepgoat.

Everyone at my meetings and on this board has said "get out of the way, get out of the way." I just couldn't get that or do that.

Then finally, the light went on. That's the day my HP got through to me. It's like I heard, "Hangin', I can't get to your daughter and help her until you get out of the way."

So true, so true. It's so hard to get out of the way, but when I did, things began to get better for me and my AD.