codeine?

Old 01-15-2008, 05:47 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

codeine?

hi,
i have good information about the usual street drugs, but some substances i'm not educated about.

could someone tell me the manner of abusing codeine? is it purchased in pill form, as prescription drugs are? i know it is an ingredient in cough remedies....but how do abusers take it?

thank you. the more i know, the better. also: for prescription drug abuse....other than going to multiple doctors for prescriptions, do addicts also buy these on the street like the illegal drugs ? thanks for the information...
Old 01-15-2008, 05:53 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

You sound like me. I only thought about it in terms of my cough medicine when I had bronchitis and that was it, a few nights of good sleep (could never have taken it during the day) plus the strong expectorant and it was over. But, my husband found a creative way of obtaining through the normal course of at least 2 drs. I know about but what I found was that he ordered it from a pharmacy in germany. There are tons of online pharmacies to buy all sorts of stuff. This particular one apparently has you fill out some sort of form, then the Dr. reviews it and if OK'd by him/her then they send it to you. Apparently customs catches it sometimes. There were times when they denied my husband and told him to seek alternatives, and usually came with a warning about how highly addictive, etc. I don't know about buying it on the street however. Good luck. I was where you are about 4 months ago.
Old 01-15-2008, 08:40 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

My AH got them from his doctors for pain. He told the doctor about his addiction problem, but then started buying them from a "friend" with a prescription. I think he did some doctor shopping, too. After his dad died, he took his dad's morphine & codeine. He also took some of his mom's morphine after her death, and then started purchasing codeine from online pharmacies. He stole some from my grandma when we were vacationing at her house. As far as I know, he took the pills orally, although I guess people do shoot it up. Codeine is in Vicodin & Oxycontin. It is an opiate. Other opiates include morphine & heroine.

I just thought I'd add. Even though this is prescribed by doctors, and you can get it over the counter in Canada, it is really awful stuff. AH got to where all he thought about was his next fix. He started doing things that he would never have done before. He said that he started fantasizing about other criminal ways of obtaining it (I didn't really want details).
Old 01-15-2008, 09:03 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Wow bluebell, I keep meaning to ask a little bit more about your experience, because of mine. Anyhow, if you feel like sharing - maybe a PM or here, or whatever. Good luck to bluejay6! What's your situation anyway? AH or a child?
Old 01-16-2008, 03:42 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

The Internet. There are/were U.S.-based Web sites that had dr.'s that you either called or sent medical records to, they gave you an RX, then the drugs were sent via Fed Express or whatever. They used to be very easy to buy, but I think it is harder, though not impossible at all, to get them this way now. Very easy way to doctor shop...

Also, people can order them from other countries' Web sites, usually without even a prescription.

Also, I am now aware that people sell them on the street. The sellers either get them by purchasing them from or robbing people coming from the pharmacy. Sellers also use fake RX's to get them from pharmacies.

Where there's a will, there's a way!
Old 01-16-2008, 07:36 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

thanks so much to all. i didn't know people could buy addictive substances through those pharmacies.

for c-wife: it is my RABF. ten years clean from cocaine and heroin. but not in contact for several months. i am waiting....

while i wait: daily reading, watching the hbo series on addiction and the bill moyers series on addiction (i bought both)and coming to this website. plus gratitude to my HP each night for what i do have.

i take the long view, with the disease of addiction. but if he did not have a history of recovery, i would not be waiting. he knows what to do....i think he will do it, his way, his time, with HP's help. it is my choice to wait. it is my instinct to do so.

good luck to you c-wife. your story is still unfolding. keep finding every way possible to help yourself, as it does.
Old 01-17-2008, 07:04 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I used to abuse codeine in the pain med, "Tylenol with codein #3" I'd mix a few pills with alcohol, but that was just one drug amoung many that I abused when I could get it. I imagine if I had only used this one drug, I'd have needed so many that I'd have blown out my liver from the tylenol in the pills! (I was a garbage head and took whatever I could get as long as it gave me that 'floaty' feeling.) I do beleive it is available in other ways, without the tylenol.