Big Change of Plans...(Hallelujah!)

Old 01-10-2008, 07:19 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Arrow Big Change of Plans...(Hallelujah!)

I haven't been on in awhile since things got a little crazy with my boyfriend after my last post. He was dealing with a lot of family issues, mainly that his two brothers and sister as well as his closest friends were using drugs again right along with him. We both knew that his using was getting in the way of our relationship and were'nt sure what was going to happen. He had said that he wanted to get clean and had called a methadone clinic to do that but was unsure of how often he could get there without a reliable ride (not so great when someone needs to go everyday...). I had told him at that point that he was always welcome here (in PA, he's from VA) but he didn't want to leave his family, etc, etc.

Here's the change of plans:
I got a phone call from him early on a Friday morning two weeks before Christmas telling me that his younger brother had stolen about $400 he'd been saving and used it to buy drugs. He said he was just fed up with the lifestyle down there and "couldn't do it anymore." I was pretty much completely unprepared for the next question..."Can you come get me? I want to move up to be with you and get clean for good"

We talked about it for a little bit, then I called my mom and told her what was going on. She (fortunately) agreed that it was best for him so I left from work and drove five hours to VA to get him. We packed pretty fast and left the next day. That Monday, he started at a methadone clinic an hour from my house and then we pooled our funds to get him a car so that the situation would be easier on both of us. He's been doing really well so far...hasn't even been drinking except for two beers on New Years Eve.

He started a job today making really good money so I think that'll definitely help him feel good about himself. Once he has some income saved up, he can start looking for an apartment. Overall, I just feel blessed that he made this decision and hope that things continue to go well. I know he gets down at times that he's away from his family and friends but he also tells me that he knows this is best for him. I think Christmas was hard for him, but he got along really well with my family and seems to be settling in.

That said...I know this might be easier for him because he's away from the temptations, at least the ones that were in his face given that his siblings were all using. I also know that he's not perfect and could slip up but I really believe that this was the best thing he could do right now. He's also decided with the doctor at the clinic to stay on a relatively low dose of the methadone so that when he is ready to get off of it completely, it will hopefully be a little bit easier for him.

So anywho, just wanted to give an update and thank you all for your prayers and support. Please keep praying that he'll continue to do well! It's truly a blessing to know that I'm not alone and that there are so many amazing people who've been there and done that and can help those of us smack-dab-in-the-middle of it right now!! Have a wonderful day!!!:bounce
Old 01-10-2008, 03:01 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
*~10 YEARS BABY~*

I'm glad things are working out so well for you.
Old 01-10-2008, 07:18 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

i am glad things are going good for him. i hope he continues. it is up to him what he does. keep working your recovery & leave his to him. is he going to meetings? i believe in them. it works if you work it. prayers,hope