I'm their Grandmother - But Mother to my Grandkids

Old 01-09-2008, 02:42 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Every day is a good day!

Question I'm their Grandmother - But Mother to my Grandkids

Wow.... the last two year have been tough. My daughter's parental rights were removed from her due to her drug addiction. The three little one's (10 mo, 1 yr and 3 yrs at the time of removal) were given to me. They are wards of the court and placed with us as foster children. It looks like adoption is the only way I can keep them together and with family. So I will become mother to my grandkids and raise them.

My daughter's drug of choice... Meth.

I know all things work togeher for good and I was wondering if there is anyone else who is going thru or who has been thru the same thing?

:praying
Old 01-09-2008, 02:56 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Well, I haven't been through the exact same situation, but I can tell you a little about what I've been through. My mother and father had me at an early age. My father ended up moving away and my mother drank all the time. I lived with my grandmother since the day I was born. Even though I was never adopted by her, she was basically like my mother. I knew who my mother was and she came around occasionally. Anyway, now that I am older, my mother has quit drinking and she is starting to be "like a mother" to me. We will never have a real mother/daughter relationship, but we are good friends.
Old 01-09-2008, 03:13 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Every day is a good day!

Thanks for sharing, I hope that my daughter can one day have a relationship with her children. It has been a painfull experience watching my daughter deterioate, but I am committed to my grandchildren and I hope that they will understand when they get older.
Old 01-09-2008, 03:21 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

It's a really difficult situation and I was confused when I was little. But now that I'm an adult, I realize it was for the better and my life would have been a lot harder if I hadn't lived with my grandmother. I love my grandma for all she has done for me and sacrificed for me and I'm sure your grandchildren will feel the same when they are old enough to understand.
Old 01-09-2008, 06:59 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Charlene..I too, am mother to my 4 year old grandson. My son gained full custody of him when his mother gave him up to be with her boyfriend. He has been with me two years now. I have never felt such great love as I do from this little boy. And the feeling I get just knowing that he is in a stable, safe, loving environment with us overjoys me. I have to be a support system to my son (as he is a young father) and am doing what I know is right for the baby. He is happy and smart as a whip. I don't regret playing the mommy role again at all!! He knows I am grandma but I treat him as if he were my own. I love him too much. Best of luck to you and your babies.
Old 01-10-2008, 04:41 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

my sons father has abandoned him.....3 yrs now.

addiction destroys. Im sorry for you and the kids...but they have a new hero in their life.

YOU!!!!!!!!!!
Old 01-10-2008, 05:24 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
remember to breathe

I tip my hats to you grandmothers stepping up. I don't think I could handle my little grandsons (1 and 4) they wear me down when I babysit, the thought of raising babies again would scare the crap out of me. But I guess we do what we have to and if the time came I'm sure I would do the same.
Old 01-14-2008, 06:56 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Every day is a good day!

Thank you all so much for your input. I has been a difficult and tiring two years and we are just now all feeling like we know our place in our newly formed family.

My grandchildren are just about to turn 6, 4 and 3... male, female, female. I find myself at 45 to be tired out daily but somehow I regain the strength to continue each day. The passing of the holidays was difficult for me as my estranged daughter (and her bday is this month... she'll be 27) and I do not speak much and she lives in another state. I am dealing with a lot of emotions as you all would expect. I feel as if I have buried one of my children and am grateful that somehow I have been able to keep my grandchildren with me and together.

Well there is so much more I would like to share with you but it is just so much to put into one post. Thank you for all of your thoughts and words of encouragement. I look forward to hearing from you again.
Old 01-14-2008, 07:12 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
BBD

Hi Charlene, I command you for what your doing. Who wouldn't step up to the plate and raise their lil grandbabies. Your still young hon and those kids need a good family life. Your gonna do that and in the meantime you'll be getting so much love from them. I'm sorry your daughter has hurt you so much but we're all living with that.....damn drugs~!! Hugs, Bonnie
Old 01-14-2008, 07:13 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Hugs and Gratitude to all of you moms/grandmoms who are raising these children. Thank God they have you in their lives.
Old 01-14-2008, 07:15 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

charlene

your doing the right things.......

now get up, eat better, get healthly and run those little dudes/dudetts in the ground... being the strongest/healthiest Grandma around.........

BTW, 45 is YOUNG!!!!!!!!!!