Halfway House - The right next step?

Old 01-12-2008, 09:56 AM
  # 21 (permalink)  
Jujubee Queen

Originally Posted by adg View Post

Good news is that he seems to be focused on the right things this time, namely himself. He understands that this is where he needs to be and is embracing it.
Sounds like he is really heading in the right direction.
It's all good news.

Hugs
Old 01-12-2008, 10:18 AM
  # 22 (permalink)  
get it, give it, grow in it

YEA ! A success story. How wonderful that your son is following directions and working at recovery. Congrats !!
Old 02-17-2008, 01:43 PM
  # 23 (permalink)  

Halfway House, Chicagoland area

We are looking for a halfway house in the Chicagoland area for our son (21). I know there are many places with varied services. Does anyone have any positive or negative feedback on specific places that would help us narrow our search? Thanks!
Old 10-23-2008, 04:33 PM
  # 24 (permalink)  

halfway houses

i just got recently got out of jail and im looking into halfway houses in chicago. anyone know some that are good and some that arent so good (on a limited budget)???
Old 10-23-2008, 08:12 PM
  # 25 (permalink)  

I too am from the Chicago area. I checked out several Sober Living enviornments back in January, for my daughter and was disappointed with my findings.

I was looking for a structured enviornment and that's hard to come by. At the high end, Hazelden and New Hope offered the most structure and required guests to become employed and/or attend school full time. Both had serious wait lists.

The greatest concentration seemed to be private residences in Elgin, Waukegan and the South and West sides of Chicago. They have 5 day sober rules which puts people in very different stages of recovery, together.And again, there was not much of a structure.

And then there is Rosecrance, way out in Rockford. I was impressed with them but at 19, my daughter was too old for the teen program and too young for their adult program. They had a sliding scale, for fees.

The Salvation Army may be a good source for other private low cost options.
Old 10-23-2008, 08:25 PM
  # 26 (permalink)  

Oxford House

Almost forgot this option.....I think all but one are for males so it did not work out for my daughter. While most are in Southern Illinois, there are a few in the far North suburbs and Joliet.

You can google them.

Focus on the transportation issue unless the recovering addict in your life has a car.
Old 10-24-2008, 05:38 AM
  # 27 (permalink)  

I have heard good things about Serenity House in Addison, IL.
(a western suburb of Chicago)

Good Luck to you.
Old 10-25-2008, 09:47 PM
  # 28 (permalink)  

Please be careful in selecting a sober living home. My son Ryan lived in one for a few months and was doing fine. He relapsed while living there. He died from an accidental overdose of drugs sold to him by the sober living home's owner. The home was a great place for him for a long time. When he chose to use again, the owner of the facility was right there for him.
I am praying for the best for you.
Old 10-26-2008, 08:28 AM
  # 29 (permalink)  

Some great resources I have found are:

United Way (dial 211),

local county mental/health department usually has referrals and most states have a department that can give referrals - its the Department of Human Resources in Georgia (not sure about your states)

SAMHSA (federal substance abuse - Drug and alcohol abuse, treatment, prevention at SAMHSA's National Clearinghouse for Alcohol and Drug Information),
local churches (whatever denomination is the most prevalent in your state will typically have the most resources - in the south its baptist).

You can also ask PO depending upon their attitude - I find them to be a wealth of knowledge as they visit these facilities all the time - they are the ones who got my son in rehab. Some courts have great program resources but its really dependant upon the view your community takes in these areas. mine is great but i know not all are.

Its not 1/2 house but jobcorp has a good structured program and does help get you ontrack for a career.

I typically liked the church funded over the government funded - their staff seems to have a bit of a higher calling and not just collecting a pay check - but that is probably debateable.

You may also want to try your local AA chapter/meetings - they may have references as well and might actually be able to give some personal recommendations as to the better places. Finally when at a loss use the web. I found all of these references through web searches. You do have to weed through the high class/high cost facilities to get down to the realistic ones but referral companies do have a list of reasonable places that they give out when they cant assist you.