Stupid Pet Tricks

Old 01-05-2008, 07:03 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Stupid Pet Tricks

I know I"ve been wwwaayyy off topic tonight but I just have to tell all of you about something.

I took my very loving, very sweet, very over-weight golden retriever (Cooper) for a walk tonight. Dogs aren't allowed in our subdivision park/beach but I decided to be a daredevil and sneak him in so he could run free off the leash. Gasp ! I usually follow all the posted rules.

Anyway, my dog ran to the nearest slide, climbed up the ladder and proceeded to go down the slide on his belly with his tongue waiving behind him. I wish I woulda had a camera.

I didn't know my dog knew how to climb stairs and slide down a slide !!

He's 6 years old and I got him from a rescue league when he was about 4 and 1/2. Someone must have taught him how to do this.

He did it about 4 times with a look of sheer joy in his face as he did it and all I could do was laugh hysterically.

Wish you coulda been there.
Old 01-05-2008, 07:17 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Bridge CLOSED

Is this the same dog who didn't want to walk up the stairs out of the basement?????

That is pretty funny!

Seriously.. dogs can do amazing things but over feeding dogs is one of the top reasons for them to develop life threatening illness (cancer, diabetes, heart failure, kidney failure, arthritis etc etc.).

Golden Retrievers are wonderful dogs with terrific dispositions. Really good dogs!

Get the bag of dog food out. Look at it. Read the amount of food required for a dog the size he is supposed to be and feed him that amount. In one month if you do not see noticeable weight loss, reduce the amount 1/2 cup a day and watch for another two weeks. No weight loss? Repeat. Keep doing this for awhile until he loses that excess weight!

he will have more energy and repay you by living a lot longer and with fewer vet bills!

Sorry for the lecture. I have been told I like animals more than people. I don't argue with that statement!

Hugs and happy walks!
Old 01-05-2008, 07:22 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I know you're right Elana.

He was seriously over-weight when I got him. I need to take him for more walks. I am feeding him weight control dog food but he manages to scam alot of table scraps with those beautiful brown eyes. I"m a sucker ! But I know its not good for him. I WILL try harder.

He's an awesome dog. Just awesome. And talented too apprently !!
Old 01-05-2008, 07:52 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Jujubee Queen

Heck, take him to the park everyday, and let him play on the slide.
He's bound to lose weight going up those stairs...

(I may have to buy me a slide for the living room....)
Old 01-05-2008, 07:57 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Next time take the camera. Would love to see pictures. Maybe you could find a kind stranger to take the picture and you and he (meaning the dog, of course) could go down together. Supposed to be warm and rainy this week. Perfect park weather. Hugs, Marle
Old 01-05-2008, 08:26 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Hug giver-outer!

That is so funny and so cute! Yes, bring a camera the next time and make sure there is a next time. I bet he was just plain giddy about it. You surely make his day.

I'm glad you "bend" the rules from time to time!
Old 01-05-2008, 08:57 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Administrator

Ahhh, I love this...How cool is that?!! What a cutie. I love Golden's...our Cloe was the bestest dog in the world with such a beautiful smile. Thinking of your Cooper happy as a lark sliding...you just made my night; I'm smiling from ear to ear.

Thanks for sharing this Mary...It's precious, just like you my friend!
Old 01-05-2008, 09:05 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Southern through and through

Now I would have loved to have seen this one, Out. How cute!
Old 01-05-2008, 10:27 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Another way to help them lose weight is no free feeding. That means do not fill their bowl in the morning place it down and leave it there all day for them to munch at when ever they want. What you do is figure out what their amount is supose to be in a day and divide it into two equal portions. Then decide a set time in the morning and a set time in the early evening that will be meal times. Give them 10 to 15 minutes to eat. If they do not finish the meal then pick it up and do not offer it agian and do not offer that in the next meal either. Only offer the next portions meal. A dog will not starve itself. Once they figure out that it is on a schedule it will eat its food when offer. Then it it will have an easier time burning it off through out the day because it is only burning off 2 meals instead of several. Also table scraps are a real bad idea but if you do want to give them then I suggest giving them in her dish this helps to eliminate begging. And if you do plan to give scraps that day then take away one or some of one of the meals. And please do some internet research on what are some bad foods for dogs. For examples Onions are bad for dogs. There are lists you can find online. This way you don't mistakenly give your dog something that can make them sick or irritate their stomach.

Just some friendly advice. hope I don't offend anyone. I have some experience in dog training and rescue work.

Your dogs slid adventure sounded fun though.
Nikki
Old 01-05-2008, 11:16 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
sjr

that's so cute. my over weight chiquaqua lost weight when i moved into a two story house and my bedroom was upstairs. he follows me everywhere so...he got alot more exercise than usual!!~~~can't take him for a walk though. he'll just sit down when he's done and then you have to carry his hiney the rest of the way!!
Old 01-05-2008, 11:42 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
On a tear

Your description was perfect - no camera needed. Gave me a smile, too.

(((hugs)))
Old 01-06-2008, 12:14 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

I wonder what else he can do? Maybe he was a circus dog or something before you found him.
Old 01-06-2008, 05:42 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

love this story. our pets are amazing. take your camera, we want to see.
Old 01-06-2008, 05:54 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  
Ann
Nature Girl

I'm a sucker for cute animals and I vote for more exercise for this cutie before cutting back the special diet food. It's good for more than his weight, also his heart and muscles and general disposition.

Heck, he's so darn cute, just drop him off at my place and I'll walk him with my Toby....now then he'd really get exercise, Toby chases dogs.
Old 01-06-2008, 06:58 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  
Bridge CLOSED

Table scraps.. be careful there and since you KNOW you will give him scraps, cut back accordingly on his regular food. Just like us.. they need a baqlance of calories and exercise!

I get accused of being "mean" to Atka when I make her behave and I get that soulful eyes thing from her. I refuse to cave in. LOL

the thing is,, they aren't REALLY being "soulful.." It is just how a dog looks when he/she wants something. Cats can do it too. If you cannot resist, don't look back.

I have seen Golden Retrievers train for being assisted living dogs. They can be taught to open doors, get articles of clothing for the person and shut doors as well. fun stuff like slides or agility work can really give them a break too. They are great "hearing" dogs for the deaf and many are used as Therapy dogs for sick people and elderly people in hospitals and nursing homes.

I am glad you have such a great dog and you appreciate her. I have never understood why or how people can give up their pets.. and beyond that I could never understand why anyone would ABUSE their pet.

and YES to the photos... Absolutely!!
Old 01-06-2008, 07:06 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  
Im not crazy and neither am I

I used to have my black lab trained to chase his tail on command
my cat fetches.....
stupid loveable critters !:bounce
Old 01-06-2008, 07:40 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Take that camera next time, even your cell phone (if it takes pictures)

hmmm... I'm thinking YouTube..
Would love to see that.

Colleen
Old 01-06-2008, 04:25 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  
remember to breathe

he sounds like he is very trainable. maybe you can teach him how to mop the floor. lol
Old 01-06-2008, 07:22 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  
*~10 YEARS BABY~*

omg, that is so cuteeeee!

the new digital cameras now all have movies on them that you can tape if you have one.

How adorable!
Old 01-06-2008, 07:37 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  

That is too funny!!! Dogs are awesome.