View Poll Results: What is the DOC?
Pain Killers (Oxy, vicodin, codeine...etc.)
33.11%
Meth
13.51%
Coke
18.24%
Crack
34.46%
Heroin
24.32%
Other....
14.86%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 148. You may not vote on this poll

What is the DOC?

Old 01-03-2008, 05:10 AM
  # 21 (permalink)  
the girl can't help it

Looks like the winner is crack...

my family is addicted to crack and I think I would hate it just as bad if it were something elese cause adddiction is addiction.
Old 01-03-2008, 09:40 AM
  # 22 (permalink)  
remember to breathe

I find myself thinking I wish my son's DOC was anything but heroin(opiates). I know when a recovering heroin addict relapses it is when they OD and die because they take too much. I have come along way I think in my recovery but when I read something that has to do with the dying part I feel like I'm having an anxiety attack!! I guess I need to work on that part of my recovery next!
Old 01-03-2008, 03:51 PM
  # 23 (permalink)  

My STBX is a crack addict.

Is one drug harder to beat than another? I read so many stories of people who were out of control with the first hit of crack or meth............is it more so than with other doc?
Old 01-03-2008, 04:08 PM
  # 24 (permalink)  

My Ad is addicted to any pain med.and she is addicted to food,and I'm pretty sure alcohol also.She had bypass surgery years ago then many other surgeries since,I believe she traded food addiction for pain med.addiction etc.I guess she has an addictive personality.She is supposedly in recovery for a year,but not so sure
Old 01-04-2008, 04:27 AM
  # 25 (permalink)  
Restoring myself to sanity

Opiates... he was supposedly in recovery but I found 30 vicodine pills hidden underneath the seat of his car on Monday along with a bag of pot. He tried to tell me he was selling them and maybe he is to a point just to pay for his fix because he has not shown up with vast amounts of money. In any case I think it mightbe the pot he is selling and the pills he is using. I just know, I'm confused, angry and falling apart right now. Every time I ask questions I get a different story.
Old 01-04-2008, 09:34 AM
  # 26 (permalink)  

xanax for mine. He loved his benzos.
Old 01-04-2008, 02:40 PM
  # 27 (permalink)  

My AB is addicted to Oxycontin and, as of very recently, heroin. He is currently in rehab (went in on New Years Eve) and has already not made it to all of his meetings. I feel like it is such a waste of money, and that we are at a dead end if this doesnt work. His counselor in treatment talked with my mom today and told her that he will probably relapse soon. Talk about comforting advice, eh?!?!
Old 01-05-2008, 09:35 PM
  # 28 (permalink)  

not sure anymore
Old 01-06-2008, 01:04 PM
  # 29 (permalink)  

Hmmmm???

I only chose two. I know he hates Heroin, but loves Meth and Crack. Are those two the same?

What I don't understand is when he is in prison, like for the past two years, and he is feeling and looking so good, why in the heck would they start again?

I asked him that too. Of course, the answer he gives me is "I pray I won't, no guarantees!" I think because it is so mentally addictive!

Hugs, Devastated
Old 01-06-2008, 06:56 PM
  # 30 (permalink)  

I feel for you rahsue. My brother was using heroin and only stopped because he was taken to prison. He spent a year there and now he has some real health issues and I am so afraid of him using again. Aside from that I think he has AIDS and other conditions from that and I am totally numb.
We can pray.
Old 01-10-2008, 05:21 AM
  # 31 (permalink)  
remember to breathe

Empty... I'm so sorry about your brothers health issues, I can thank God my son's health has stayed good, ya know now that I think of it he's pretty health conscious (sp)
I remember one time walking in when he was on the phone with some health clinic asking about aids testing because he had unprotected sex. I wasn't sure if I should question him at the time but I did and he said he had unprotected sex once. I didn't laugh right then but boy did I have a good giggle when he wasn't around, not that he shouldn't have been worried about having uprotected sex but maybe he shouldn't be putting needles in his arm. Anyway, he has been sober now for alittle over 2 months and really working his program, meetings every single night except for christmas and that was only because he went and they were closed. So keeping my fingers crossed for the next couple of years I guess.

I say some prayers for you and your brother
Old 01-10-2008, 09:09 AM
  # 32 (permalink)  

Rahsue

That's music to my ears...clean for two months and doing the right things. Maybe he hit his bottom..that's what I'm hoping for all of our kids.

Isn't it the truth about how health conscious they are, yet will stick needles in their arms!! My son is so careful what type of meds he takes. Made sure he read all the side-effects. Made me laugh.

Hugs, Devastated
Old 01-11-2008, 12:56 AM
  # 33 (permalink)  

Emmers07, I don't know your situation and don't want to throw out false hope to you. Take this with a grain of salt: when I was in rehab, my addiction counselor, spiritual counselor and family counselor all told me, my bf and my family that they just knew that I was close to relapsing. They also said that they just knew that I would be back in rehab soon after I graduated from their program.

I guess they didn't like my attitude or something. For the money that I was shelling out, they probably banked on the hope that I'd have to come back for another round!

It's a long story...I spoke up often and questioned certain rigid 'rules' to sobriety (I guess I felt some things should be adjusted and flexed since everyone has their own issues and ideologies, etc. The rigidity, I felt, set some 'special cases' up for failure in that they implied that only total conformity to their particular formula could result in lifelong sobriety.)

Anyway, I am sober and have been for a long time. I do not attend meetings or read the Big Book or anything like that. I have nothing against it, just not for me. So I guess I am telling you to take what other people say with a grain of salt, especially people like his counselor. YOU will know what to do and think when the time comes if you listen to your gut, heart and head.

For one, his counselor is not a fortune teller and cannot see the future. The counselor is basing his/her prediction on the behaviors of his/her past clients. Pigeon-holeing patients into the collective history of their own past experiences only serves to discredit your hope for his honest recovery...something I hope you cling to...so long as you protect yourself for the possibility that just maybe the counselor is right.
Old 01-12-2008, 06:53 AM
  # 34 (permalink)  
Im not crazy and neither am I

MORE
Old 02-13-2009, 07:53 PM
  # 35 (permalink)  

BUMP ... In the thread about newcomers- I wanted to also post how much I have noticed that pills/opiates have been talked about. (Either that - or it's just because that is where my b/g is - so I am more privy to seeing it) ... but I have a feeling after Winnie's post (which was a great vent, btw) - that pills are probably becoming THE doc.

This isn't a competition - and it's not even giving true results ... but I think it is very interesting.

I think that ADD meds are going to become more of widely known abused drug too .... kids in high school now are abusing them! Even the media and Hollywood is starting to talk about it more. What was it... just about 15 years ago that there was a buzz about whether diagnosing kids with ADD is the right course... and then it all kind of died down in the media. and now it's getting out of control in the realm of addiction!

Anyway ... I guess I am going a bit on a rant now....
Old 02-13-2009, 08:05 PM
  # 36 (permalink)  

I think I read somewhere that the pain pills are easier to obtain than they used to be. This is because the medical community is paying more attention to helping those that are in pain. The intent was to help those who are in actual physical pain. Unfortunately, this has seen a rise in people addicted to pain pills. I don't remember where I read that.

Has anyone else noticed that when you go to the doctor, they first ask you, "Are you in any pain?" It annoys me since opiates are ABF's DOC.
Old 02-13-2009, 08:13 PM
  # 37 (permalink)  

when I cracked my head open two weeks ago following an eleven foot fall onto my head and neck, directly down - onto concrete, I suffered a concusion.

bruises everywhere- they must of asked me 17 different times, If i wanted pain killers at the ER, and tried 17 more times to give me a script before I left.

I loved in a sadistic kinda way, watching my abf foaming at the mouth...... that's his doc.

Anyhoo- of course i said NO NO NO.

I took a tylenol or two for a few days, managed JUST FINE!!

It's amazeing how bad they WANT to drug you up now adays...
Old 02-13-2009, 08:34 PM
  # 38 (permalink)  

No kidding! Last Tuesday, I went to doctor for a sinus infection. They asked me if I was in any pain. Of course I was in pain--my head hurt because I had a sinus infection. However, I just said, "No."

Several months ago, I was at a different doctor. It turns out, this is the one who was prescribing ABF pain pills. The first question they asked me was, "Are you in any pain." I had a bad feeling then....

It turns out that ABF started back on pain pills after going to that doctor. ABF asked for migraine medicine (not a narcotic), the doctor suggested that the migraine medicine would work better if he also took some Oxycodone!!!
Old 02-13-2009, 08:49 PM
  # 39 (permalink)  

I checked off heroin.
Old 02-14-2009, 05:10 AM
  # 40 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

Well.....crack we know for sure! But the charges listed on the docket say meth...so perhaps he has 'branched out'?