My heart is aching and i need some support

Old 01-01-2008, 03:01 PM
  # 21 (permalink)  

you are so right

Just another afffirmative - you did what was absolutley right! I am 32, and grew up in a resort area where, while I was not, most of my high school friends were rich, but well-raised, with loving and supportive parents. We were party kids, but did very well in school. Some people partied just a little, and some seemed to like it more than others. I remember, my best guy friend, Kevin, we all thought it was funny that he could do 3 hits of acid and take tests, getting the highest score in class. Reality hit about a year and a half after graduation when, another close guy friend and Valedictorian of our class was so high on heroin that he accidentally ran over my closest girl friend, at an outdoors concert where his band was playing. She slowely died in front of all of us. Two years later he OD'd and was permanently paralyzed, nine years later while he was in graduate school, but still an heroin addict, he was beaten to death by a dealer, his credit cards and belongings stolen. His dad, a prominent lawyer in my hometown, died of a broken heart two months later. Kevin died last year of an OD of heroin, needle in his arm. Countless others, that started out like your son. If he is dealing, he is totally immersed in a culture that he has accepted, and will continue to accept into his late 20's, 30's, where things start to get scary, as the years of using, the friends and atmosphere he is around begins to become normal.

As some know, my XABF was a pro-snowboarder, #1 for 2 years, and now in his 30's he is just a cocaine addict. He could have his own company, so much, but drugs = bad decisions = depression, low self confidence, and therefore more drugs. His parents couldn't accept that their son, the one in commercials, on the side of buses, front page of magazines, could have this problem, and now, it is an uphill battle since he is an adult. So what you are doing is not only right, it is admirable.
Old 01-01-2008, 04:14 PM
  # 22 (permalink)  

You definitely did the right thing. He is still a child and you are doing what you should as his parent. I was in the same situation with my son and put him in programs when he was younger and I still have hope that the recovery that he learned in those programs will some day see him through.

My therapist would tell us that it was good to plant the seed of recovery.

I also had the same doubts as you about my son and guess what he is an addict and I don't regret doing what I had to for him.
Old 01-01-2008, 04:25 PM
  # 23 (permalink)  

Mothers guilt...dont let it nab you.....:ghug3
Old 01-01-2008, 05:54 PM
  # 24 (permalink)  
Amolibri

I want to add my "yes, you DID the right thing"!!! My AS has had a relapse after over 2 yrs. clean, and it is devastating...but I know that I need to be strong for myself. There's always that little voice of guilt and regret...but we can't let it win! I know you can be there for him and for yourself, Jehnifer. Peace be with you.
Lena
Old 01-01-2008, 05:59 PM
  # 25 (permalink)  
Hug giver-outer!

Hope you are doing better. As a mom, I know exactly what hell you are going through but YOU didn't put yourself or him there. HE made a very, very bad choice to use drugs and now he has to work on that if he is to save his own life and a chance at something normal.

What you did to him is minor compared to what could be done to him by his own actions.

Pray that he and his HP have the will and the strength for this road ahead. And you gather the necessary info and tools to work on your recovery so you will be able to enjoy his.

Hugs,
Marteen
Old 05-25-2008, 06:30 AM
  # 26 (permalink)  

Info on Teen Addiction