SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information

SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/)
-   Friends and Family of Substance Abusers (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/friends-family-substance-abusers/)
-   -   Nice Christmas (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/friends-family-substance-abusers/140110-nice-christmas.html)

marle 12-25-2007 03:53 PM

Nice Christmas

Daughter came on time and spent a couple of hours with us. I know she wanted to stay longer but the abf was waiting in some parking lot for her. She brought me a gift. A nice sweater and a scented candle. First time in three years. We gave her a coat which she loved. Keep saying that it was a real kick*ss coat. Also some bras and perfume and a lot of leftovers. She and I took Petey for a walk and did quite a bit of just talking. It is funny how much better things can be when I am not trying to control her or the outcome. I treat her with the respect that any adult human deserves and she does the same for me. Lots of hugs, kisses and I love yous when she left. All in all a nice day. Hugs, Marle

Miss Pink 12-25-2007 04:09 PM

great to hear how well detachment works! Happy for your good holiday, you deserve it!

PS..you must be a cool mom if you picked out a kick*** coat!

Impurrfect 12-25-2007 05:04 PM

(((Marle)))

I'm SO glad you and Megan had a good day! And yeah, if you got her a "kick-a$$" coat...you are obviously a cool mom!

I only hope that one day I can be as good as you at not trying to control things/people:)

Hugs and prayers!

Amy

marle 12-25-2007 05:34 PM

Amy, You just keep going girl and you will be;) Hugs, Marle

Wascally Wabbit 12-25-2007 08:20 PM

Holy Cow, what a great day you had! I remember all your posts that were leading up to this day. And, look! It turned out great! I am happy for you!

caileesnana 12-25-2007 08:21 PM

:Val004:
an answer to prayers!
glad you had a good Christmas and Megan is still trying to find her way back.

susan

greeteachday 12-25-2007 08:55 PM

(((((Marle)))))) This post just warmed my heart. I'm so glad you and Mr Marle and Megan had a beautiful day.

marteen 12-25-2007 09:31 PM

Wow, just what does a "kick-a**" coat look like? lol

I am so glad that the day went well and I just love what you said:

It is funny how much better things can be when I am not trying to control her or the outcome.
Boy, ain't it the truth!!! I found that out, too. I just took the best of what my AD gave and because I don't try to control anything but my actions and my reactions. It's so much better.

My dear, you have come a very long way, just like me.

Hugs,
Marteen

mooselips 12-25-2007 09:53 PM

marle,
I am so happy your daughter spent some of Xmas with you.
It sounds encouraging to me that she EVEN thought to buy you something.
It's a good sign.

(I just pray the day comes soon that she dumps that BF)

Hugs

Hope 12-25-2007 10:43 PM

I'm so happy for you! I'm glad that the day turned out great!

kj21 12-25-2007 11:06 PM

that is great to hear that your daughter came for christmas and it was good for you!!! Yay!!

hope213 12-26-2007 04:37 AM

i am glad your time went good with megan. a kick a** coat huh, you did good.

marle 12-26-2007 05:08 AM

The coat was really not anything special. It cost me $45 on sale but she was wearing an old hand me down that I gave her at Thanksgiving. So I think that she was grateful to get something that was new. I wish too that she would lose the abf but I know that she is where she needs to be right now. And so am I. Hugs to all of you, Marle

Lobo 12-26-2007 08:59 AM

Marle,

I am so happy for you that you got to spend some time with Megan on Christmas. Isn't it amazing how things change from day to day. Thinking you wouldn't see her and it turned out really nice. It was sweet of her to get you a present.

You are one kick--- mom.

Hugs.............Lo

marteen 12-26-2007 08:02 PM

Marle,

She'll lose him when and if she is ready to lose him. I know that where my AD is right now physically and mentally was all HER doing and for HER reasons. Because of that, it will be a lot stronger because it's what SHE wants; not what we want. The main thing she does know and she knows it well is that we have boundaries and we are willing to enforce and strengthen them when we need to. If she wants to stay within the bounds, her behavior needs to be "clean"; if not, she's out. That's HER decision to choose which and ours to enforce. It keeps a better balance that way.

I have learned that I cannot control her but I can control how much she controls ME. I'm a much more sane person because of that!

Hugs,
Marteen

sleepygoat 12-26-2007 11:40 PM

So glad you had a good day. In fact, it sounds very much like the Christmas I had with my AD. She was loving, appreciative, pleasant, and even brought gifts. I know we both deserved to be loved and appreciated on Christmas - and so do our daughters, using or not.

raerae6 12-27-2007 12:24 AM

That's great Marle! ((hugs))