I was wrong

Old 12-25-2007, 07:48 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

I was wrong

I tried to post this yesterday and I don't see it. No sure what happened.

Long story short. I knew my son used and abused marijuana. I've caught him and he's talked to me at length. He's never admitted using anything else. But his behavior has become more and more erratic and he's gone through a ton of money in the last six months. I assumed he had escalated to meth or something similair.

He's in the hospital now having been stopped by highway patrol last Fri. night. In a Christmas blessing from God the officer recognized that what was going on was not drug use but mental illness.

My son tested clean for everything, even alcohol and marijuana. He's in a psych ward now, being treated for paranoid schizophrenia (sp?) possibly the result of untreated bi-polar.

Be careful out there. I almost lost him forever.
Old 12-25-2007, 08:01 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

(((easeful)))

I'm glad he is getting help. I hope you aren't hard on yourself for not realizing it was a mental issue and not drugs. The symptoms are very similar (I know I was not mentally balanced when I was using!) and it is very hard to tell the difference. I have a friend at work who's son is going through something similar and I'm trying to help HER realize she's done the best with him that she knows how. Kids certainly don't come with instruction manuals and you parents can only learn as you go.

Hugs and prayers!

Amy
Old 12-25-2007, 10:29 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

hugs toyou!!
itsgood that now u know what it is..
stay storng prayers your way:praying
Old 12-25-2007, 10:46 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

A couple I know from work had the same kind of thing happen to their son. He was away at college and went through an incredible amount of money. Brought him home and found out that he had untreated BiPolar. Thank God that he was stopped by that officer. Prayers that your son gets the treatment that he needs. Hugs, Marle
Old 12-25-2007, 11:29 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

bless his heart and yours....and the smart police officer. It is indeed a Christmas miracle....hang in there and take good care of yourself.

XXOO
Old 12-25-2007, 03:50 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I will pray for both you and your son - it must be incredibly tough. Hugs!
Old 12-25-2007, 09:05 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Administrator

(((((Easeful)))) Praying for both of you. So glad his problems were recognized and that he is getting help.
Old 12-26-2007, 04:41 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Thanks so much to everyone for the prayers. Please keep 'em coming. We're a long way from being in the clear.

But even in the midst of the worst thing I've ever faced, I can see the hand of God. Beginning with that police officer, who btw then drove 95 miles each way on his own time, in his own vehicle the next day to come and check on us at the hospital. So many people and events came together to save my son that I've got to believe everythings gonna be alright.
Old 12-26-2007, 07:04 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
On a tear

(((Easeful)))) Sounds like a blessing in the making. You and he are in my prayers.
Old 12-26-2007, 08:13 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Jujubee Queen

Sounds like that Police oficer was a Christmas angel.

Hopefully, with medication, your son can function to his best ability.
It's simply amazing what simple medication can do now adays.

I've often thought my oldest has some sort of disorder, just not sure which one, other than ADHD.

It's difficult to even try to find help when they have no hospitalization...

Thank goodness your son was stopped.

Hugs,
Old 12-27-2007, 07:13 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

I continue to be amazed at the different forms our Angels can take. Whoda thought it would be a police officer?

Cats
Old 12-27-2007, 08:25 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

yep, I think the officer was an angel in disguise. Will continue to keep you and your family in my prayers.

Hugs and prayers!

Amy
Old 12-27-2007, 08:59 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  
remember to breathe

What's a mother to do when all around us kids are using and abusing drugs and alcohol.
We try to look for signs so that we can attempt to be on top of things and then BAM something like this happens and blind sides us.
I hope and pray things go well and how you want them to and prayers to your son.
Old 12-27-2007, 09:17 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  
Thankful for every sober day!

(((easeful)))

you, your son, and your family are in my prayers.

i am giving thanks to God for that officer - as others have said - he was indeed your Christmas angel. may God bless him abundantly.

mental illness is a difficult struggle but there is hope and there is light, just hang on and keep asking questions, if you feel ill at ease with a doctor or how they are treating you or your son, find another one, do not settle for anything less than the best treatment.

all my best,

Elizabeth
Old 12-27-2007, 09:20 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Easeful

Oh my Lord, I cannot believe your post! How wonderful that "someone" sent this police officer to rescue your son. I mean in my whole life I've never known a police officer that didn't just take him to jail!!! Amazing, absolutely is a Christmas miracle. He is a very SPECIAL ANGEL!

Yes, out of control spending is a sign of bi-polar. Don't understand why. My son was diagnosed with bi-polar, but I think his was the result of drug use. However, he was hyper-active as a child and put on Ridilin(sp?) when he was in first grade.

My prayers are with you and your son. Special prayers for the Policeman as well.

Hugs, Devastated