Advice on Sister’s Addiction

Old 12-16-2007, 12:29 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Advice on Sister’s Addiction

Hello

I need a bit of advice or pointing in the right direction.

I believe my older sister is addicted to Soma a muscle relaxant that is prescribed. She is abusing the prescription and taking more pills then the maximum amount, and I think she might be getting them online.

I’m not sure what to do or if there is anything, I should do or try.

My sister and I haven’t been close for over 10 years, and all my information is coming from our mom. I believe what my mom is saying, but I’m unsure of how to proceed, or even if I should proceed with something.

I am familiar with addiction... I grew up with both my parents being alcoholics from the day I can remember until I was 19 (now 40). I can usually spot an addict a mile away; it’s a hypersensitive thing for me. I won’t go through that again.

My sister doesn’t admit/realize she has a problem from what I can understand, and I realize that if she doesn’t want help I/we can’t make her get it. I get that, but I was thinking of one attempt at an intervention or something to see if maybe we can get her to wake up. Gotta try at least once don’t you????

If I did that how would I go about it since the last time I spoke to my sister was over a year ago, and not knowing where her husband stands (I think in denial land), and considering all my info is second hand, would I be overstepping?

Is it my place? They might think, “...what do I know, I haven’t been around, and mom has it all wrong and she’s over reacting...” etc...

What are your thoughts, idea’s and suggestions?

Horse Girl
(this user name wasn’t my first pick, it was about the 50th pick, not sure about keeping it :scratchch )
Old 12-16-2007, 04:49 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

HI Horse Girl,

I wish I could say there is a "right" answer to what you should do, but I'm afraid there isn't. I think so much depends on you and your relationship with your sister and the family. If she is addicted, she will stop when the pain of using is worse than the pain of getting clean. For some that takes loosing everything, for others, there are low bottoms. The most important thing for you is to take care of yourself.
I think if it were me, i would try a conversation with those closer to her, like her husband to see if your sister would be receptive to speaking with you.

Keep reading here; there are great people and lots of support.