A sister who is numb with pain

Old 12-09-2007, 02:04 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Unhappy A sister who is numb with pain

I need help. I dont know what to do. My brother is 30 years-old and is an a cocaine/crack addict. Six months ago he was working in NYC making great money, paying a mortgage and spending time with his family and friends. He had been using drugs all his life, but was a "functioning addict". Then, he started staying out for days at a time and missing weeks of work. He agreed that he wanted to go to rehab and we sent him to a 30-day program. In this program, he did so well. He told us he never felt so happy, he was always smiling and I felt like I had my brother back. We are very close and so is my entire family.
He met another addict in rehab and on the day he left, he picked her up at a halfway house and they were gone for weeks. He lost his job, his friends and his house. He left his dog (who he loves) and now my mom is taking care of the dog. He came home after leaving for the few weeks and looked like a different person. He was so good-looking and muscular.. for the first time.. he looked like a "drug addict." He was no longer in his Banana preppy clothes, he had a beard and was barely showering. I found him a rehab to go to and he kept telling me he was going to go. He even called and made the appointment for the evaluation. Then, he left again. He has been gone for 1 month, he sends me a text message every few days to tell me he is alive. I text and call him all the time, telling him that I love him, I believe in him and I am here for him.

I am so desperate. I dont know what to do. I opened his credit card bills and he has been staying at hotels/motels. Please, help!