Confused

Old 12-07-2007, 09:42 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Confused

Going to try and do a quick summary.

As went to stay at local rescue mission on I believe was tuesday night. they called me said he was threating to hurt hisself did I want to come get him are what. I tld them to call an ambulance. the following morning my son went and picked him up once released from ER and brought him home. (We have found out that currently we cannot evict him to to his mental impariment. We would need an attorney and defiently do not have the funds.

Wednesday...I get hom at 5:45 pm and from then untill approx:9:00 pm he is going nuts asking for his money. (he recieves SSI) I am his rep. payee (my mistake.) I agreed with the Ss office that I would untill the mental health center took it over. for some reason there has been a delay.

Around 9:15 pm he takes his thumb and pinky and talks on them as if they are a phone. This child talked non stop with the exception of one time. At that time we heard an awful noise in the living room...we thought him and my other son was fighting..hubby runs in there and AS is beating up the couch,,then back on his hand talking to it ( believing he is talking to a person and said he just had to beat someone up.

He later threatens us and himself. I called the center they had me ask him if he would go to the hospital..his reply was no. He did however agree to go see them the next morning. needless to say he wouldn't get up and go. this behavior continued untill approx:1;00 am.

Of course we believe this was a drug induced psychosis(sp)

Thursday..he insist on money again threrating as usual....i called the deputy that is over the cadet program that my other son is in. he made some suggestions which i choose to follow through on one of. We have As state in front of witnesses that he wants to move from our home and is doing so of his own free will and we took him and all his belongings to the rescue mission.

trhis morning at 7:11 am I get a call from a pysch screener and I answered her questions. They admitted him to the behavioral ward. he figured out that he could leave on his own free will. He asked to leave and they called the doctor. Just so happens that the Doc on call is also my mental health doc. so he is aware of AS.

he told the nurse to call me and see if I thought it would be wise for him to leave and if not would I be willing to go Monday and do an involuntary commitment. i told her I would.

Son calls he hates me..I ruin his life he disowns me etc...............

calls back asking me 2 come visit. His dad and I are going tomorrow evening.

here is where the confusion comes in. His dad wants me to do the commitment to give him some time to be off the streets and off drugs with hope that son will then go to rehab.

I also want him off the streets. However I accepted he is an addict last year, dad is just becoming aware, would it be right of me to commit and let the drugs get out of system so we can see where the illness really is right now?
Are we being selfish in wanting this?

Anyone have any experience with anyone with an addiction and severe mental illness as well?

Any opionions appreciated. I will check back tomorrow when I get home and see. I have to get up in 4 hours..so I best go try and rest.

BTW his Dx is schizoaffective.......anti-social perssonality and borderline mentaly ********.

Angie
Old 12-07-2007, 10:10 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Power is not having to respond

I am sorry you have to go through all this chaos. May I recommend you post this on the mental health board as well? There are a few very good people there who might be able to help you.

I will pray for you this evening. For your peace and for your son.
Old 12-08-2007, 02:29 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Belgian Sheepdog Adictee

would it be right of me to commit and let the drugs get out of system so we can see where the illness really is right now?
Are we being selfish in wanting this?
At this point, I believe it would be wise. Many times we alkies/addicts SELF MEDICATE in the hopes of stopping many things, the highs and lows (bi polar, which I am) the voices and/or imaginary people, the paranoia (which only gets worse with alcohold and/or drugs) etc.

I don't believe doing it with the hope that getting the drugs and/or alcohol out of his system so maybe he will go to rehab is the most important reason. I do believe getting the drugs and/or alcohol out of his system will allow the professionals at the center to do a MORE ACCURATE DIAGNOSIS.

To me that is the most important thing. Until they can accurately diagnose what his REAL PROBLEM is, you just going to stay on the roller coaster, all of you.

BTW his Dx is schizoaffective.......anti-social perssonality and borderline mentaly ********.
This diagnose may change, if what he has been using has a chance to get out of his system.

Just suggestions, however, in the long run they might give you some "peace of mind" if such a thing is even possible when a practicing alkie/addict is in the family

J M H O

Love and hugs,
Old 12-08-2007, 05:19 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I agree with Laurie. If your objective is to get an accurate diagnosis, then getting the drugs out of his system is a good first step. If you hope that he will get clean, then you are just forcing your will on him and usually that does not work. It sounds like you are doing it for the first reason so you may get an answer. Mentally ill or not, the addiction has to stop before he can get better and he is the only one who can decide to get help for that. Hugs, Marle
Old 12-08-2007, 07:53 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Jujubee Queen

crazybabie,
big hugs coming your way.....

Last edited by mooselips; 09-26-2008 at 10:16 AM.