Language of Letting Go - December 6

Old 12-06-2007, 12:50 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Ann
Nature Girl

Language of Letting Go - December 6

You are reading from the book The Language of Letting Go

Letting Go of Shame

Many of us were victimized, sometimes more than once. We may have been physically abused, sexually abused, or exploited by the addictions of another.

Understand that if another person has abused us, it is not cause for us to feel shame. The guilt for the act of abuse belongs to the perpetrator, not the victim.

Even if in recovery we fall prey to being victimized, that is not cause for shame.

The goal of recovery is learning self-care, learning to free ourselves from victimization, and not to blame ourselves for past experiences. The goal is to arm ourselves so we do not continue to be victimized due to the shame and unresolved feelings from the original victimization.

We each have our own work, our issues, and our recovery tasks. One of those tasks is to stop pointing our finger at the perpetrator, because it distracts us. Although we hold each person responsible and accountable for his or her behavior, we learn compassion for the perpetrator. We understand that many forces have come into play in that person's life. At the same time, we do not hold on to shame.

We learn to understand the role we played in our victimization, how we fell into that role and did not rescue ourselves. But that is information to arm us so that it need not happen again.

Let go of victim shame. We have issues and tasks, but our issue is not to feel guilty and wrong because we have been victimized.

Today, I will set myself free from any victim shame I may be harboring or hanging on to.

From The Language of Letting Go by Melody Beattie ©1990, Hazelden Foundation.
Old 12-06-2007, 05:08 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
A work in progress....

Originally Posted by Ann View Post
One of those tasks is to stop pointing our finger at the perpetrator, because it distracts us. Although we hold each person responsible and accountable for his or her behavior, we learn compassion for the perpetrator.
This has been so HUGE for me in my recovery, and in making amends to my sons. Their dad is not the monster I believed for so long that he was, and I played my own sick part in the drama that was our lives.

I would much, much rather be me today than be my ex. He is a very sick individual and I feel much compassion for his pain. I do sometimes still want to just smack him silly, but that's ok because I know that anger, too, can be a healthy emotion if dealt with correctly.

Letting go of shame is key to finding your way out of codependency. Thanks for the reminder~ ((((((hugs))))))