5 month girlfriend an addict

Old 12-07-2007, 08:16 PM
  # 21 (permalink)  

I could tell you to run away or stay. Everyone's story is different. There have been successful rehabilitations, or those that have failed.

My experience is this:

When 22 I became involved with someone who had a drug addiction and drank heavily. He made it sound like a miniscule deal and I had no notion of what addiction involved, so I stayed with him to my own detriment. Through my experience with him, from age 22 to 28, I came to realise, in hindsight, that I also had an addictive personality. I became involved with drugs and alcohol.

I am 33, have kicked the meth habit, have not touched it for at least four years, but am still struggling with alcohol addiction.

My question is this - how much are you willing to sacrifice despite success/failure?

I wish you all the best...
Old 12-07-2007, 08:28 PM
  # 22 (permalink)  
Or However You Spell It....

Originally Posted by aspiresobriety View Post

My question is this - how much are you willing to sacrifice despite success/failure?
Amen!
Old 12-08-2007, 12:20 PM
  # 23 (permalink)  
Just plainly tired

I'm sorry and I know you believe that you love all so much. But I am with the others run... run really fast and dont look back. I am talking from experience honey and you dont need this life.

My boyfriend was the best.. we had something magically or so I thought. I knew he had a drug problem but I was blind and thought it was a thing from the past. I gave him my heart completely to him. Within 5 months he relapsed and my whole world colapsed in front of me, he went into a program and I thought he would be cured, he came out and BAm again he relapsed. Fast forward four years later and a son between us now he is using again. I tried to accept it tried so many damn things these past four years and nothing worked. We cant do one thing for them to stop it all has to come from the person. A couple of months ago I considered taking my own life because I couldnt live in this insanity any longer and thought it would be better just to be gone from this life. With the help of my friends on this site who continued reaching out to me when I was in complete darkness even if I didnt want the reaching out brought me back to me. they let me see there is a light, help me realize my kids need me by just being there for me.

I dont know hwo old you are but there is a life so much better than this, there is someone who will love you. I am not saying no addicts get better.. I have seen it with my eyes and have wonderful friends who are recovering from addiction... they are my miracle. But you need to ask yourself this one question are you able to live with knowing that at any moment she could use and be active again. That one day she is here with you and totally herself and then the next day shes using and not here at all?

Ask what you could live with it because there arent any guarantees with addiction.

hugs and prayers to you,
Jewel