Bah humbug

Old 11-30-2007, 04:13 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Power is not having to respond

Christmas can be a lot of work! I don't look forward to all the work! I just wanna sit back with the tree lights on and sip nog while reading a good book!

So, this year, I promise myself to enjoy it by not over working. I think after 50 years, I deserve a restful holiday.
I have the house decorated and now, I love it!
I won't be doing ANY cooking beyond the normal. I won't be baking for others this year. Im not a scrooge, I just need the rest.
Old 11-30-2007, 04:40 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Jujubee Queen

I think Xmas is much more fun when you're EIGHT.

Start putting up your decorations abit Cats, hopefully it'll get ya in the mood...

(Personally, I think Xmas started WAY too early this year.)
Old 11-30-2007, 06:49 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Get Caught Reading

((((((Cats))))))

I feel the same way, gf.
It's those f'ing gas prices, for starters.
There's just no money to be had anymore.
The U.S. is up to it's eyeballs in credit card debt.
I could go on and on, but I won't.
My thoughts?

I challenge anyone to come up with something, anything to help Cats and I get
outta this funk. Cheer us up and I'll even send ya a x-mas card.
Old 11-30-2007, 06:59 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I think con$umeri$m killed Christmas....

BTW....what is a humbug??
Old 11-30-2007, 07:15 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
hbb
Live, Laugh, Love

Originally Posted by raerae6 View Post
I think con$umeri$m killed Christmas....

BTW....what is a humbug??
hahaha darn it, it wouldn't post, i don't know how to post a pic. but it was a humming bug !!!
Old 11-30-2007, 08:17 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

LOL Thanks you guys. I never knew what a humbug was or why we say Bah Humbug. It just seemed like the thing to say!

I went out with friends tonight. First I helped my friend buy gifts for her new boyfriend, and then I went with her new bf to buy gifts for my friend. It was fun to be a part of that.

We are expecting ice and snow tomorrow. Perhaps I will stay in, put on my holiday music and do some decorating. That will help.

BUT - I still want to see what the Elvis stocking looks like. That may be JUST the thing to push me into the mood!

Cats
Old 11-30-2007, 09:23 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Administrator

I don't feel Christmas yet either, but I don't feel humbug...just normal I guess. And I'm fine with that...I think sometimes too much hype brings expectation, then disappointment.

Last year I told myself it would be okay if I din't put up all the decorations (I have tons) and go frantic...whatever happened would happen; it was a Christmas I just wanted to get beyond...one of those dreaded firsts. I avoided malls, and stress and took rides to quiet places for unique gifts. I think the tranquility helped, because as it got closer I could feel the real spirit of the season and I wanted to get a tree, arrange evergreen, light lots of candles, listen to Christmas music, enjoy the sense of something special. It turned out to be one of the more serene Christmases so I think I will just go with how I feel again this year...
Old 12-01-2007, 04:17 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Christmas was a hardship for my parents when I was growing up because we never had any money. When I married, my husband and I always went down to his parent's cottage on the lake and spent a week there. That is the only Christmas that my daughter ever knew. My father-in-laws last Christmas in 1993 was spent in severe pain from bone cancer. That Christmas was sad. Then my mother-in-law, who always made Christmas a great time, died of congestive heart failure shortly after Christmas in 2004. 2005 was the first Christmas staying at home and it was a sad one even though I tried to make it merry. 2006 my daughter came over high as a kite and nodding and last year my husband and I spent the holiday alone. This year I decided to celebrate the beauty of the holiday instead of the materialism. I put my tree up early and decorated my house with all the little trinkets that I saved from my mother-in law. I just enjoy the beauty of it. I bought my daughter some clothes so that if she comes I have something to give her. My husband and I will enjoy a nice dinner (with the dogs, of course). And I think I will accept the bank's offer of a Christmas loan so that we can splurge on some mall shopping for ourselves. Hugs, Marle
Old 12-01-2007, 09:03 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

uh.... Moosie?

Could you please translate? LOL
Old 12-01-2007, 09:05 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Jujubee Queen

Originally Posted by mooselips View Post
hum·bug
6. to impose upon by humbug or false pretense
7. to practice humbug.

Ya gotta love those 2 meanings, eh?
Old 12-01-2007, 10:13 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

3. a person who is not what he or she claims or pretends to be; impostor.
Yep, I'm nodding here, Cece. I've dated a humbug or too myself. Does that make our AH's Addict/Alcoholic Humbugs??
Old 12-01-2007, 10:18 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

Originally Posted by CatsPajamas View Post
Does that make our AH's Addict/Alcoholic Humbugs??
Yes, Ms Cats I believe it does!
:mock
Old 12-01-2007, 09:29 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Cats, you are just experiencing the first stage of a woman's Christmas.....

1 - Denial

2 - Anxiety

3 - Panic

4 - Acceptance

5 - INDULGENCE !!!!!

I suggest you skip right to #5 and pamper yourself with a pedicure and some Godivas!

Mwah!
Babs
Old 12-02-2007, 07:12 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  
Living in the light

Cats, the marketing of Christmas and the holidays have been loud and clear since even before Halloween ...yep, I just can't escape the commercial onslaught. So for now I'm not yet in the spirit but I have no doubt I will be. Time is on my side since today is only Dec. 2.:rofl
I'm not bah humbug, just normal...I think lol.
Hmmm practice humbug? Kinda sounds like fun...anybody care to share how it works?:mock
Old 12-03-2007, 08:25 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  
Living in a Pinkful Place

Cats:

I tried to post a picture - but for us computerly challenged it proved to be a little difficult. I actually do have an Elvis Christmas Stocking - much to my 5 daughters' dismay!! (which makes it that much more fun!-lol :mock ) I figured if my husband could have an LSU purple stocking then I could have an Elvis stocking!! - so here's a description and I'll keep working on that picture thingy. Hope you don't have Blue, Blue Christmas!!

Elvis Presley "Graceland Christmas" Christmas Stocking - The information on the tag reads: "Christmas was Elvis' favorite time of year. He even proposed to Priscilla on Christmas Day, 1966. Annually, the Graceland mansion celebrates the season by decorating elaborately from after Thanksgiving Day until Elvis' birthday on January 8." The top of the stocking is white faux fur, then a red velvety stripe with the name of the stocking embroidered in white, and the rest is a SOFT brushed material. There is gold trim embroidered between the colors and textures. There is a red velvety hanger attached at the top to use to hang the stocking by the chimney with care! There is a gold tassel with a jingle bell attached to it.