# 1 (permalink)  
Ann
Nature Girl

Language of Letting Go - November 17

You are reading from the book The Language of Letting Go

Grief and Action

Trust in God and do something.
--Mary Lyon

It's important to let ourselves grieve as a passage between yesterday and tomorrow. But we do not have to be controlled unduly by our grief, or our pain.

There are times when we have grieved, surrendered to the heaviness, tiredness, and weariness of a circumstance long enough. It becomes time to break out. It comes time to take action.

We will know when it's time to break the routine of grieving. There will be signs within and around us. We will become tired of the heaviness. An idea will occur; an opportunity will present itself. We may think: No. Too much effort... Do it anyway. Try something. Reach out. Stretch. Do something unusual, something different, and something special.

A new activity may help trigger the transformation process. Stay up two hours later than usual! Make an appointment to do something for yourself that is different from what you usually do. Visit someone you haven't seen in years. Do something to encourage and help the new energy coming your way.

We may not feel like breaking out of grief. It may feel safer, easier, to remain in our cocoon. Begin pushing out anyway.

Test the walls of your cocoon. Push. Push a little harder. It may be time to emerge.

Today, I will trust God and the process, but I will also take action to help myself feel better.

From The Language of Letting Go by Melody Beattie ©1990, Hazelden Foundation.
Old 11-17-2007, 08:30 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
StrivingToThrive

(((Ann,)))
My favorite book.
this passage is good for me to ponder these days as I head into the holidays.
I don't read my literature in the morning, but I will go on this website before I head off to work.
when you post these, I read them in the morning and then read them again in journal form at night, then journal to them before I sleep. they follow me throughout the day, and I take inventory of my day through them.
So thanks!
Cathy