What I've decided to do

Old 11-15-2007, 04:27 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

What I've decided to do

I posted earlier about my sil and bringing her home from the hospital. She's continued to rage out of control for nearly a week now. The rest of the family has decided to just leave her alone. Me? I don't seem to let things alone easily. ::sigh::

Someone suggested talking to the social worker at the hospital. I did that and at this point she said the best thing to do would be to call her Dr. and request a Home Health Services visit/evaluation. So that's what I'm going to do. Rather than go into a whole long "who shot who" and "how many pills are missing", I plan to just tell them that I am concerned about my sil's short term memory and her ability to take her medications on her own. And then leave it alone, hopefully for good.

It seems like a reasonable plan. Of course any plan I make seems reasonable to me. I wish I had the ability to just leave her alone until she manages to kill herself. ::sigh:: And I honestly don't care for or about her, but if I ever end up in this situation I hope someone will help me.
Old 11-15-2007, 04:28 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

ps, do I sound ok?
Old 11-15-2007, 06:25 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

Originally Posted by Easeful View Post
ps, do I sound ok?
You sound OK to me...do you feel OK?

I think what you did was a wise thing, if you can step back and allow the professionals to step in now. We codies tend to get very vested in the results of our actions...at least thats where I get into trouble.

Prayers that the social workers find her in one of her "spells" and take action
((((Hugs)))
Cece
Old 11-15-2007, 06:44 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
On a tear

I agree with Cece... it is ok to allow the cavalry (professionals) make some determinations here.

I am one who likes to "control" because I long believed I was "responsible" for outcomes.

I am not.

I cannot control outcomes. Even ones that seem so danged straightforward.

Alanon is teaching me to stop trying!

What a concept.

I wish you well.
Old 11-15-2007, 06:49 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Ann
Nature Girl

Easeful, I too think that might be a good idea, and then let it go.

The thing is, there is no rulebook here, we each try to do the next right thing and sometimes it works out and sometimes it doesn't. But if we are doing the best we can and doing what feels "right", then that's a good indication that we are on the right track. And if we are not, we soon learn that and can switch tracks and bring the focus back on ourselves.

Prayers for all of you, this sounds like a very disturbing situation.

Hugs
Old 11-15-2007, 09:42 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I think you did the responsible thing. You can't control or help, but maybe some professionals can get through to her!
susan
:praying
Old 11-16-2007, 05:43 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Thanks to all, by way of update. I did call her physician. It was an interesting conversation. I explained my concerns and the pa said that they would send out a home health rep. She then asked it I thought my sil would let them help her. I said I didn't think it was likely and she said, "then there's no need to even do this." I replied, "yes there is a need, I need to know that I've done whatever I could." Bless her, she said, "I understand." And then agreed to order the home health evaluation.

And with that, my work here is done. It's in the hands of a power greater than mine (and I don't mean the Dr. ;o)