American Gangster

Old 11-13-2007, 02:55 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Awaiting Email Confirmation

American Gangster

I went and saw this film today, it was great, but wow, don't take a recovering addict, it sure could trigger them, lots and lots of scenes of people shooting up heroin.

In fact, if you have been wondering how they do it and what it looks like then go and see it to get an idea of it.

What I think is amazing is that the big kingpins in the business love to lay on this sophisticated patina, fancy houses etc, and they have such contempt for the junkies, and here they are making money off the drug trade and those very people they think are scum for doing drugs. And they don't think anything of making all that money off of those desperate addicts.

At one point towards the end, the cop says to the kingpin something about all the families of the dead junkies lining up to testify against him and he doesn't even blink an eye, the addicts, the users and the lives ruined by drugs mean nothing to him, it is just about business, and he keeps telling other dealers not to get greedy! ha!
Old 11-13-2007, 03:39 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Starry Girl

thank you so much for posting that. I really really wanted to see this movie and I definitely won't now. I can't, just can't, watch stuff like that...hits too close to home with my AH 's issues.

Thanks again, I would have had to leave the movie...
Old 11-13-2007, 04:32 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Ann
Nature Girl

I'm afraid movies like that trigger me something awful too. So please don't take offense when I thank you for telling me because I might have gone to see it. You just saved me a lot of pain.

Grateful Hugs
Old 11-13-2007, 04:57 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Same here, I'm afraid. Thanks, oneeye.

I've been involved in heroin and junkies and all of the ruined lives too much in real life. It's all horrible and not entertaining to me. I can spend the 9.00 on a cup of coffee instead
Old 11-13-2007, 07:05 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

I went to see it, and had thought about posting a similar warning. This movie shows a lot of really graphic heroin use, drug houses, horrible things. The main character makes his fortune as a drug lord, but he tries to live the "good life" and remain above all the dirty stuff associated with selling drugs. The character development was amazing, and some of the actors may very well win Academy Awards. WITH that said, it was a disturbing and sad movie.

I wouldn't recommend it to anyone who has ever had issue with drugs.
Old 11-13-2007, 08:09 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Jen

Sorry to say.........same here. I tried watching "Little Miss Sunshine" and about three minutes into it there were drug issues and I turned it off.

I think, for me, it hits too close to home so thank you for posting. I may have gone to see it, too. (Also, absolutely no offense taken by your post )

Jen
Old 11-14-2007, 05:37 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Thanks from me too. I wanted to see it an RAH said no, he couldn't watch it.
Old 11-14-2007, 07:39 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
'Round and 'Round I Go....

oneeye....
thanks for the heads up. sounds like way too many triggers for me too. i was watching criminal intent and right from the beginning they showed a guy snorting coke and I felt anger quickly rise in me and I had to shut it off and delete the recording from my TIVO. i definitely would've walked out of that movie.