frustrated!!!

Old 11-09-2007, 10:11 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
sjr

frustrated!!!

my daughter didn't come home last night, didn't go to school today, ( i called her guidance counselor). I have been on the phone for hours this morning trying to figure out some answers as many people have suggested as far as what my rights are as a parent. aaaaaggggghhhhhhhh......talk about a run-around...i think so far i have talked to 8 different organizations, all of whom pass the buck to someone else. i know i can't be the only one with a kid in this situation in my community! others i know with troubled teens have sent them off to boot/wilderness camps etc. done so my remortgaging their houses..~i am not a homeowner...not an option. what does the middle-class single mom have to do to get her kid some help....?????????JUST FRUSTRATED!! thanks for listening to me....again..
Old 11-09-2007, 10:16 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Does your daughter have insurance? If so, put her in treatment. The counselors and social workers there will know the answers.
There is help, it is hard to find it!
susan
Old 11-09-2007, 10:18 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

sjr...I know how you feel, my AS is older, 20, but the same frustrations and runarounds when I try to contact social service groups to get help. Why does rehab cost 15 - 20 thousand dollars a month? And is it better than cheaper alternatives?.
If the guidance counselor at your school can't help, ask to speak to her/his supervisor either at the local, county or state level. I have found a wide range of "talent" among guidance counselors.

Take a deep breath. Good luck and keep posting.
Old 11-09-2007, 10:26 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
sjr

we don't have insurance. and by the way, adoloscent programs are far and few between from what i am beginning to understand. 17 & up...more options...i was also just adviced that even fewer programs are willing to take a teen who is defiant to treatment. my daughter's school guidance counselor, has become more like a friend. she has been very helpful anyway she can. she even went to my daughter's class room to see if she was there for me! i want to help my kid so much. i don't have the thousands and thousands dollars i feel like it is gonna take to do so. ...there we go...me venting again! thank you for your support
Old 11-09-2007, 12:03 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Hi sjr,

Where I live, we have a Behavioral Health Clinic that is non-profit and works on a sliding fee scale by income. We have a friend that has a 17 year old niece that she is raising like a daughter. She has been diagnosed as Bipolar with anger problems. She freaked out at school the day before yesterday.

She was arrested for assault against a teacher. She has quit taking her medication & has been out of control at home too.

She ended up back in the ER again and this time was evaluated by a Mental Health Professional and sent to a PsycUnit in a hospital setting. She will get good help where she is going.

She has had counseling before but quit going. Her Aunt is at her wits end because she thinks it is her fault all this is happening...but it isn't. It is the illness talking.

The same with your daughter that is 15? She is rebelling against society as a whole it sounds like. This happened with my youngest daughter too. She was 16 at the time. She didn't use drugs or alcohol...she is a diabetic and can get a "High" from a high blood sugar. She would run away with this one "Dude" that was four years older than she was and I wouldn't see her for two or three days....without her insulin and proper food...I could get her picked up by the Sheriff's Department and taken to the local hospital because she was considered a danger to herself due to her diabetes.

This "Dude" eventually got arrested for csa with a young girl thirteen years old. He has been in prison for a long time now. I could never get anyone to stand behind me on this issue. Even her doctor wouldn't help me. The only real help I got was from the Sheriff's Office and that was minimal. CPS also helped by setting her up for group counseling with other girls her age having the same problems.

I know this isn't much consolation but in today's society the children seem to have an edge over their parents and in my case, I just never gave up. She eventually was hospitalized for a suicide attempt and this was the best ever consequence for her. She seemed to get her life back on line and stopped seeing this guy. The hospital was in another state and was a program specifically for teenagers.

Hope some resolution comes your way soon.

kelsh
Old 11-09-2007, 02:19 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
remember to breathe

I'm not positive, but go on Gaudenzia.com or .org I think this is all over not just here in pa. It specializes in teens with schooling on site. Again I'm not positive but I think this is something anyone can go to (meaning you can get aide somehow)
I'm sorry I can't post the website but I'm alittle stupid when it comes to putting things here and there on the computer (I was thrilled I figured out how to put my grandson as my avatar)
Old 11-09-2007, 03:38 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
On a tear

Most of the rehabs I looked at in my state were required to accept state medical coupons - and if you ask, they may tell you how to get your kid qualified on that basis.

Keep trudging... there are answers. Hard to find, sometimes, but they are out there.
Old 11-09-2007, 03:45 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Jujubee Queen

sjr,
I have nothing to add, except a huge hug, I know how frustrating it is to find help.

Back in my enabling days, (not too long ago..LOL) I had a hard time finding a rehab for my son...and he was 24 years old!
Old 11-09-2007, 09:32 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
live 2 love, love 2 live

it's hard but keep on trying to find a place. I know what you mean my 38yr old husband just checked into rehab last week and i could not belive the red tape he had to go though before he was entered in.
Old 11-09-2007, 10:01 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Where I live county welfare will take care of medical insurance for kids under 18. It is called CHIP. No child under 18 should be without medical insurance especially if you ar a single parent. Look into it, if she qualifies there are organizations that can help her at the cost of the county.

My RAD qualifies for medical insurance through the county because she is low income and she is 26 yrs. old. She applied for it and was able to get it. She could not afford her bi polar meds, so now she doesn't have to worry about that anymore.

There is help available....call your welfare office.

Good luck........Lo
Old 11-10-2007, 08:45 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Get Caught Reading

sjr,

Smart move on taking her house key. Set boundries and let her know your serious about them.
My son went to 2 week long detoxes when he was 19. They only costed 20 dollars for each visit. Granted, it didn't stop his using, but each step in the direction was something, ya know? He's been to a methadone clinic, then finally, after robbing my home, spent 6 months in the county prison. That worked wonders, believe it or not. Jail time. I'm sorry for your pain about your daughter. I learned of my son's heroin addiction when he was 19. He was smoking pot and drinking long before that.
He'll be 26 in a few days. I've learned so much by being here at sr and naranon meetings, reading everything about detaching, enabling, boundries, and addiction.
It will get better, I promise.
Sending prayers and support,
Old 11-10-2007, 11:24 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Awaiting Email Confirmation

check betty ford's website, they have scholarships for kids and a policy not to turn away kids under a certain age for lack of funds.

by the way, my daughter was sent to this school in the country specifically to get her away from the drugs in the city she was getting into, and she says there are just as many there. go figure, the counselors can be in their own world, if the addicts want the drugs they will figure out a way to get them.