Uhoh..I feel to help my son

Old 11-09-2007, 07:25 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Uhoh..I feel to help my son

My son is living on the streets of Manhattan, and earns a few dollars a day for food working for a courier business. He's on methadone (90 mgs) a day, and seems fairly stable...he's 20 years old.

He calls about once a week just to say Hi (I've asked him to do this so I know he's alive).

My latest plan is to get him to a medical/detox plan from methadone and then into a oxford house. Unfortunately, there's a lot of controversy over "done" and 1/2 houses don't let people in using it.

He's not asking for this, but I'm just having a spasm of "want to fix things"...time for an Nar-anon meeting I guess.
It's so so hard at times.
So glad I found this group....thanks for letting me vent...
Old 11-09-2007, 07:47 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

All Oxford houses are different, He should research the ones in his area to know their requirements.
Old 11-09-2007, 07:48 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Hurting,
I know how bad you want to help your son and rightfully so, you are his dad. I can tell you that when my RAD was on methadone she was also using other drugs. Eventually she got kicked out of the methadone clinic. At that point I did send her to a very costly rehab out in Orange County, Calif. She detoxed off of methadone which she says was the hardest drug to detox off of. She did beautifully there until she met and feel in love with an addict. Things went well for a while both were clean. Of course it didn't last. Long story short after a 3 jail stints she finally got clean on her own. I knew I could do no more for her and I let her go. Today she is clean and doing well. It seems once I let go....I even quit my begging prayers to God. She took control over her own life. She was harboring a lot of pain down deep that she has been sharing with me and helps me to understand her better.

If you think your help would be something that your son would want from you then I say do it. It has to be if he wants it though or your efforts will be in vain. I know everytime I had my hand in my daughter's recovery it didn't work. When I took a step back and let her control it is when it worked her way.

I'm glad your son calls you every week. I also maintained a calling relationship with my daughter even in the worst of times. I always wanted her to know that I loved her no matter what.

Hugs and prayers for you and your son...........Lo
Old 11-09-2007, 09:38 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I sure can understnd wanting to fix things and see the end successful result. Too bad we cam't fix our children's problems but only they can do that. Hang in there, give him your love every week. Hugs to you both.
Old 11-09-2007, 09:46 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
remember to breathe

I agree with Lobo, if your son wants it,so be it. It wouldn't hurt just to put it out there for him to decide for himself if he wants off the "done".

But do get to a meeting, there might be some words of wisdom to ensure your decision to offer the help or not.

hugs and prayers to and your son.
Old 11-09-2007, 03:07 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
On a tear

(((Dad))) Boy, have I been where you are...

I learned that I need to do what I can live with. Even when I gave my kids food or paid a bill and KNEW it was because their money went to drugs... sometimes I did it because I worried LESS by doing so.

Do what you can live with.

(((hugs)))
Old 11-09-2007, 06:17 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Get Caught Reading

((((((Dad)))))))

Sending you prayers and support. I know, too well, the need to fix'em.
Been there, tryin' not to do that. lol
My son was, at one time, on 85 mil of methadone a day. When told (by me)
that he would have to start paying for it himself, he weaned off fast.
It led him back out there. It took 6 months in jail to kick his heroin addiction.
He gets counseling and meds for bi-polar symptoms now.
Never worked a recovery program. Says he didn't need it.
I'm here for me. lol
Bless you and your son.
Hugs from one parent to another,
Old 11-09-2007, 08:40 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
StrivingToThrive

hi Hurting dad,
We all know the pain of seeing/thinking of our children on the streets. I had someone explain to me one of the reasons why: We see them as an amalgam of every stage of their lives. they are still our little boys when they are in trouble.
she then explained to me that my son was not a Little boy. He isn't as uncomfortable as I am probably believing, and that maybe he needed to be a little more uncomfortable so he would hit bottom and start wanting out and help.
okay so it made sense,and i use it when a rational decision needs to be made, but the little boy thing still is there in my head and heart. Sending understanding and strength your way
Cathy
Old 11-09-2007, 08:56 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
get it, give it, grow in it

Hi there Dad, My son went to rehab at my urging at 18 and again at 19. When he was 20 (he's now 23) whenever I jumped in with a recovery solution he alienated and I wouldn't hear from him for a long time. To be in a 1/2 house as you said they are suppose to be seeking sobriety. It seems your son is happy with his methadone connection. I know all too well your anxious need to get him the help you think he needs. Probably like me it is hard to sleep because of this anxiety. Parenting an addict is not an easy road. we have to learn how to keep our equlibrium, peace + joy in spite of the situation. I hope tomorrow is better for you. Keep sharing here as our collective strength is a blessing. Keep the faith that your son will get better.
Old 11-09-2007, 09:20 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
live 2 love, love 2 live

hi there Dad,

I to know the feeling like you want to fix it but your son has to want to make the calls to get the help otherwise it will not work. As far as the half way house my husband just was put in one today and he sounds very happy to be there, right now he is the only person in the house so he will be there by his self untill someone comes along. he has to find a job and has to be home by 9:30pm on weekdays and 10pm on weekends. (his first words were my daughter gets to stay out longer then me) lol

well keep on posting, and stay strong

keep on loving him and hope that he will find the help that is hard to find but it's out there.
Old 11-10-2007, 02:26 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Ann
Nature Girl

He's not asking for this, but I'm just having a spasm of "want to fix things"...time for an Nar-anon meeting I guess.
Oh I wish I had good recovery thoughts like that years ago when I was running around trying to find the "next" right thing for my son...it could have saved me a lot of time, aggravation and money.

I know your feelings and can tell you that your thoughts are right on the mark.

Hugs
Old 11-10-2007, 05:24 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

it is hard when our kids are hurting but standing back & letting them find there own road & own way is the best for them as hard as it is for us to do.saying a prayerf or u & your son,
Old 11-11-2007, 01:27 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Hug giver-outer!

Boy, I am with Ann on this one!
Oh I wish I had good recovery thoughts like that years ago when I was running around trying to find the "next" right thing for my son...it could have saved me a lot of time, aggravation and money.
From the mom of an addict daughter, yup, time for a meeting. We all have our own time and way of doing things but a meeting could help!

Hugs,
Marteen