Last night...

Old 11-01-2007, 06:28 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

Last night...

I almost didn’t post this knowing that Fall can bring about a lot of negatives, including things in me and my life.

Three years ago, in October, I discovered my son was addicted to heroin. I learned this from a phone call that he was in the ER after OD-ing. That same week, I discovered my daughter was dropping out of her first semester at College…she was pregnant by a young “man” that she no longer had a relationship with. In that one week all my hopes and dreams for them vanished.

Over the next many months son OD’d again, was arrested for DUI and possession of paraphanalia, detoxed, failed miserably at outpatient and finally entered an inpatient program where he stayed for 28 days. It was perhaps the only 28 days of rest I got in about a years time. He went on to stumble, fall but he did begin to get back up after. I know now how important that is.

I came to SR in December following that horrible October, after spending the better part of a week on the couch unable to get up...

Last night was Halloween and as I sat giving out candy while my witchee-poo granddaughter scoped the neighborhood for goodies, my daughter trying to keep up, I realized how far we all have come.

Grand baby is loved and happy, even with no Dad in the picture
(Three years ago, I didn’t think that possible)
Son was there with me handing out candy, sober…he loves his niece and couldn’t wait for Halloween…and he was riding them home after
(Three years ago, I didn’t think that possible)
And there I was, smiling and greeting the neighborhood, armed with candy and laughing
( Three years ago, I didn’t think that possible)

I did laugh out loud on this one…son was standing near the road and the local police, with lights flashing came to a stop near him. They were handing out candy. Son looked at me and grinned saying “Is it weird that that STILL gives me the heeby-jeebies?”

Time sometimes takes care of things…and of course SR
Old 11-01-2007, 06:30 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

(((cece))) You are such a great woman. I am so glad that things have gotten so much better for you. You really deserve it.
Old 11-01-2007, 06:34 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Rest peacefully Sonny Boy

Cece - That just made me feel all warm inside. I can just picture it. Thank You.

B
Old 11-01-2007, 06:45 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

((((cece)))) recovery is wonderful. i am glad your son is clean & sober today.to fail is to fall & not get up. you deserve to be happy & i am glad to are smiling today. it had to be wonderful to have your children there & that beautiful grand daughter.prayers for your family & hugs to you.
Old 11-01-2007, 06:58 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Jujubee Queen

(((Cece)))
Thanks for sharing your beautiful story of strength and hope.

Hugs that darling grandbaby for me!
Old 11-01-2007, 07:15 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

I should probably clarify that son isn't "clean and sober" as most define it. He likes to his bar time with friends, although he does claim he's getting tired of the routine.
I like to think of it as Bigsis says "still experimenting"
I've come to accept that much of what I've learned as an adult came "after" the age of 22 (his age)
He deserves his own path.
As I do mine
Old 11-01-2007, 09:23 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Administrator

I've come to accept that much of what I've learned as an adult came "after" the age of 22 (his age)
He deserves his own path.
As I do mine
I suspect he will be growing tired soon, especially when you are giving him space and loving him enough to let him find it his own way and in his own time. You're a truly special woman, Cece and I'm so glad you had an awesome Halloween with your family. She was witchee-poo and not a pickle for Halloween? Hugs