SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information

SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/)
-   Friends and Family of Substance Abusers (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/friends-family-substance-abusers/)
-   -   Codie Recovery Kit (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/friends-family-substance-abusers/135830-codie-recovery-kit.html)

CatsPajamas 10-31-2007 06:11 AM

Codie Recovery Kit

It's time for a new Codie Recovery Kit - something we can pull out in times of stress... to help us remember to meet our challenges from a place of recovery instead of reacting in fear. This is the stuff that helps us keep out of other peoples' business and more.

For me it's DUCT tape to put over my mouth so all those things I want to say can't come tumbling out of my mouth.

What YOU would put in your Codie Recovery Kit?

parentrecovers 10-31-2007 06:14 AM

some bubble bath, a scented candle, and an al green cd...for those "i gotta get away" soaks...

TrishaV 10-31-2007 06:32 AM

I think I would have to pack a gift certificate for a weekend stay in any hotel that could be used at any time. I think after everything that we go through, one peaceful weekend away with no phones, no computers....would assist us in keeping sane!!

MsPINKAcres 10-31-2007 06:51 AM

My "recovery" phone book!!!

This special phone book has the telephone numbers of my dear recovery friends that I could call 24/7 - even if it is at 2:00 am - And each one of these precious recovery friends would be willing to listen, to share words of comfort, to talk me off that ledge of insanity, to cry with me, to pray for me and just sit on the phone with so that I know that I'm not alone.

I have many, many things in my Codie Recovery Kit - but one of the most crucial things I had to learn was to ASK for help and to ALLOW others to help me. Now it is near and dear to my grateful, recovery heart!!

Thanks Cats - another great topic.

Wishing you Serenity & Joy,
Rita

cece 10-31-2007 06:57 AM

Lots of duck tape!
Japic)5,
so true! Asking for help has been my biggest struggle, so I guess I would need a phone that only had those numbers in it!
but I will add two good books. One: a steamy/exciting no thinking novel. And 2: a recovery book.
Cathy

cinderellawkids 10-31-2007 08:05 AM

a cd of my favorite inspiring songs

CatsPajamas 10-31-2007 08:08 AM

I also need to pack a skillet for whapping myself (or a dear recovery friend) in the head when he or she just isn't "getting it"

:skillet

frankly 10-31-2007 08:50 AM

My glass that is half full. (It's only half full because I spilt the other half trying to save it) LOL I would carry my grattitude for all the good in my life.

B

hope213 10-31-2007 09:01 AM

for me it would take a suitcase, not a kit. #1 would be my husband & he is to big for the kit. i also would have to take my recovery books, a piece of chocolate, espresso & espresso cups. i drink coffee or plain juice in the cups sometimes because it just makes me feel special. sounds silly, but i do.chocolate is something i rarely eat so it is a treat too.

helpus 10-31-2007 10:46 AM

Ear Muffs

Ann 10-31-2007 11:28 AM

Oh I love this thread already.

I would pack Jujubes, bags and bags, so that when I was tempted to say something that I might regret later, I could just jam a handful in my mouth and it would come out "Mfft$#%gbler&^g".

And earplugs so I didn't have to listen to anybody's quacking :lala:

And if course my Bunny Slippers of recovery (not to be mistaken for my steel toed bunny slippers). The soft ones that I just slip on before I put my feet up and sign on to SoberRecovery.

And although it might not fit.....the codie bus :bus

:day4 <---recovery kit

CatsPajamas 10-31-2007 11:33 AM

OH and we would need the high top rubber boots - waders - for when we are walking thru the piles of SH*T...

Elana 10-31-2007 11:38 AM

My Feet. When it just sounds like so much BS coming at me I can use them to turn around and walk away (before needing the Duct Tape, Waders, Ear Muffs etc. etc.)

prairie 10-31-2007 12:16 PM

Oh wow, I think I need to go get a bag and make one of these. I think I'll need to fill it full of gummies though. That'll keep my mouth shut. I've got lots of ear plugs though. There's a couple of boxes here on the shelf at work. Anyone want some?

krhea75 10-31-2007 12:58 PM

my ipod and walking shoes....put on some awesome tunes or an interesting podcast, take off and think about something other than my quackers!
krhea

Ann 10-31-2007 01:51 PM

A sign, to stop me from going down that street to nowhere called "regret" driven by the thoughts of "coulda, shoulda, woulda"...

http://img527.imageshack.us/img527/4...deadendjy6.jpg

http://img48.imageshack.us/img48/701...86turnavd2.jpg

helpus 10-31-2007 03:10 PM

oh oh...a stick could be very useful. It could help me stand tall when I'm tired, tell people to back off when I've had enough, scrape the $h!t off the bottom of my boots when it dries, and wave my white flag when I finally remember to surrender to my HP.

Ann 10-31-2007 04:53 PM

Originally Posted by helpus (Post 1546910)
oh oh...a stick could be very useful. It could help me stand tall when I'm tired, tell people to back off when I've had enough, scrape the $h!t off the bottom of my boots when it dries, and wave my white flag when I finally remember to surrender to my HP.

:lmao

Oh, helpus, you've got me laughing so hard, all I can think of is the saying "Walk softly and carry a big stick".

I think I'll get me one of those big sticks too. :pokey:

Spiritual Seeker 10-31-2007 05:01 PM

Mom = maskingtape over mouth That is what I try to remember when I think I can say the vey thing that will teach just the right lesson one more time (ha ha) or ask one too many questions or manipulate the situation or criticize, etc.
I do open my mouth when it it time to establish my boundary or express my feelings

greeteachday 10-31-2007 05:38 PM

A hulahoop to help me remember only the stuff inside of it is mine...everything else - hands off!

:codiepolice

http://i136.photobucket.com/albums/q...h/hulahoop.jpg