Procedure?

Old 10-26-2007, 03:15 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Procedure?

Thankfully this isn't about my AS, but I'm hoping someone here has the information I need. How do you go about having someone admitted to the hospital against their will?

I have an 80 year old spinster relative who takes an alarming array of otc and prescription meds. She's recently become quite ill physically. She's is unsteady on her feet, is delusional, combative and is sleeping very little along with other physical symptoms. She also has a history of bi polar. She refuses to see a physician but has no qualms about harassing family members at any hour of the day or night.

I personally believe her behavior is a result of abusing prescription drugs from a number of different physicians, none of whom are aware of the others.

In past episodes her parents and siblings have taken care of these episodes. But she's buried or worn out all of both generations and it's now falling to her nieces and nephews. I figure I can call an ambulance and have them transport her to the er or possibly the police. But is there a more direct route?

And from a recovery standpoint.... I didn't cause it, I can't fix it should I just leave her to die stark raving mad in her own filth? 'Cause as awful as it sounds to say, that seems like the easy way out.
Old 10-26-2007, 03:42 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Easeful,
I would call either social services for seniors or a doctor and see what they advise. You could try calling one of them over the weekend if she is really getting worse. I am sure there are 800 numbers you could call. You might try calling the er and explaining to them what you told us and ask them what you could do. You are so right she needs help and she needs it now.
You are right if you just let her be and let her die it is the easy way out but you will have guilt later.
Hugs and prayers coming to you
Old 10-26-2007, 03:49 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Adult protective services with your local social service angency is who you want
IF you can get her to ER, inform the staff and get a mental health evaluation they can also step in.
there is also the court house, patition them for help explain the history they will appoint a gardian......good luck had the same problem with my grandfather was a bit*ch and a half but it got done eventually.
Old 10-26-2007, 06:18 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I agree with WLDKATZ. Adult Protective Services is specifically for such a problem.
When a referral is made, they are obligated to do an assessment. If necessary they will then contact Mental Health if an asessment is needed by them.

I was a Geriatric Mental Health Counselor and this was part of my job....to make an assessment of the Elderly still in their own homes. We also did assessments in nursing homes if a resident had acting out behaviors that couldn't be handled by the staff.

As WLDKATZ said, it is a complicated process to commit someone. The important issue is that this older person can be helped if the meds are reviewed and possibly starting over with just one doc writing prescriptions. Many of the Elderly will have years old meds, over-the-counter meds, new prescriptions from two or three docs if they are still cognative clear enough to carry this out. Some docs will refill over the phone and this is dangerous for the Elderly.

At her age there can be confusion and memory problems that increase the possiblity of her being a danger to herself. Sometimes a Mental Health Professional can send someone to a State Hospital for a 72 hour evaluation. The person has to be released if they cannot determine she is a danger to herself. Then if so, they would get her on a med regime that would deal with her medical problems as well as with any mental health issues.

To commit someone, they have to be taken before a judge, usually done in the State Hospital with the Social Worker and family members, if they can be present.
Now this is just what I know about Washington State. I am sure other states have their own RCW's and policies that they have to abide by.

As you can see, it takes the involvement of several agencies and sometimes the police have to help in extreme cases. We have to treat the Elderly with dignity and respect just as we would want for ourselves.

I had a 100 year old client badly needing to be in a supervised living situation but refused. We managed to help him in his home as much as he would let us and also had Home Health involved. Well, he fell and broke his hip so he had to be in a nursing home for rehab after surgery. Then one day he got into a fight with his room mate and drew blood on the man's forehead...so NH regs state if a resident draws blood on another resident, they have to be sent out for evaluation.

I was there waiting for the ambulance to come and when they came in with the stretcher, he took one look and said: "I know what that is for." It took a lot of convincing to get him on it. Then when we got outside, he said: "It is wrong that a 100 year old man, that knew President Lincoln, has to go through all of this."

He got so he liked it at the State Hospital. He got to go bowling, on walks, and fish in the small lake....more than he had been able to do in years...so he didn't want to come back. He was a colorful old man that we loved. He was one to shop lift at the store across from his house and the sheriff's office would call and tell us and they would get the things back or he would pay for him. They never once arrested him. He had money and a lawyer that gave him so much a week to spend. Our whole community looked out for this man. Even the ministers of the nearby churches helped keep an eye on him.

kelsh
Old 10-26-2007, 06:43 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

If you are near Atlanta Ga. please PM me.

I can give you a friends number
who works in this field ...
but certainly will not share it here.

Blessings
Old 10-27-2007, 03:26 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Update: She is much more lucid today. Is able to complete tasks, her balance is better and her speech is not slurred. She's also much less combative. This cycle has happened before and all of this leads me to believe that this is a medication/abuse issue. There's no way anyone seeing her today would ever doubt her ability to make decisions for herself.

I'm relieved that she's better. But I've ridden this ride before and I know the next episode is coming, and since it's now fallen to my generation I'm going to try and get prepared.

Thanks for the input from everyone. I will follow up on your suggestions. (((((Pam, Wldkatz, Kelsh and Carol))))). Oh and a special thanks Carol for the offer of a f2f # who might could help. In one of life's ironies my husband is in Atlanta today, but we don't live near there.