Rad

Old 10-21-2007, 05:30 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Rad

I was with my RAD yesterday and she told me she ran out of her anti depressant med. I started to grab my cell so I could see if we could catch the Dr's office before they closed, then I asked when did you run out? She said a month ago. She still has the pediatrition as her Dr. She had an appt last spring with a new Dr for a new paitent exam ect but then she ended up without insuranace so she canceled it. It took a few months to get some insurence rolling for her. She says she feels fine. This coming fri she will have 6 months clean. My concern is, she has had 6 months before & was off her meds (prozac) and relapsed. I am worried she will self medicate. I expressed my concerns to her & she said she doesn't want to be on medication for her whole life & really does feel fine. I know it is her decision. I am struggleing letting go of this.
Old 10-21-2007, 05:51 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Ann
Nature Girl

:codiepolice

She's doing fine, she feels she would like to do her recovery without any medications and is feeling fine. If she stops feeling fine, she can see her doctor, yes?

Step back, mama, hands off the addict and hands off her recovery......said with the utmost respect and love in my heart

Hugs
Old 10-21-2007, 06:46 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
remember to breathe

So glad to hear about her sobriety, thats awesome. But ditto on what ann says

good luck and God bless
Old 10-21-2007, 06:47 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
let it grow!

just some mom hugs, k
Old 10-21-2007, 07:01 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Ann has said it all and I agree.
It's hard to feel that they really know what they're doing after their merry dance with drugs, but yeah step back and pray. I find it very hard to do also, but I can't control my daughter's recovery any more than you can control yours. The what-ifs get me every time.
Old 10-21-2007, 07:17 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

she seems to be doing fine off her meds. & with her recovery.i wouldn't worry about her. it she wants to b clean she will. hugs & prayers,
Old 10-21-2007, 07:21 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I have had the same feeling before with my AD. She was diagnosed as clinically depressed and given Lexapro. She said they made her gain weight and with her eating disorder that proved to be a disaster as she went right back to binging and purging. But soon she started to self-medicate. She then told me that she needed the anti-depressants and so I took her to the doc, paid for the office call and got her Effexor. Once again she stopped taking them and started to self-medicate. She said the Effexor made her feel worse. That was when I realized that only she could decide when she needed help. I can't do it for her. A lot of people once they start feeling better believe that they don't need the meds. Only your daughter can decide if she does. I have read that the best chance of not having recurring depression is to stay on the anti-depressants for at least a year. But once again only your daughter can decide what to do. All you can do is pray and let go. I know it is so hard to do, but the alternative is to put yourself back into that scary place of trying to control the uncontrollable. Hugs and prayers, Marle

p.s. Did she have any withdrawal symptoms because most anti-depressants cause withdrawal if they are stopped suddenly. If she didn't maybe she is already using something else. Just a thought.
Old 10-21-2007, 07:23 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Jujubee Queen

helpus,
It takes alot of strength and self control, NOT to want to jump in and fix" things.

I remember this input from Marteen...

"You don’t wake up one day and say to yourself, “Ok. Now I am in control and I won’t let any of my addict’s behavior or decisions to affect me.” It just doesn’t work that way but if you realize and “accept” that you are the only one you can control or have any effect on, then you are moving in the right direction. "

What's going to be, is going to be, so let it be. Your daughters H.P. is leading her right where he wants her to be....

It's SO hard for us not to do what WE think is best!

Big mom hugs to you....

Last edited by mooselips; 10-21-2007 at 07:23 AM. Reason: Typo
Old 10-21-2007, 07:47 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Great for her clean time. I agree with the others, let her make these decisions about her meds; otherwise it will be "your fault". lol My daughter lost her insurance when she got married. I worry about her not being on her meds, but this was herchoice. I can't "fix" it and shouldn't try. I'm glad you got to meet with your daughter and she told you of her meds.
Hugs from another mom.
Terri
Old 10-21-2007, 08:02 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

I have to agree with Ann as well. I'll be praying for you and her!
Old 10-21-2007, 09:02 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

I agree with the others that it is her decision...

I will say however that a month off the meds is not all that long...I think they have some lingering effect in the body (just as they take a while to kick in they also linger in the system after you stop....)

only she will know if anxiety etc begins to creep back into her mind...
my fear is that if it starts small and goes untreated she could be blindsided...

hopefully she'll be talking to sponsor/therapist/fiance' etc and will keep the channels open for dealing with possible side effects...

this is her journey
all we can do is support from the sidelines

congrats to her on her clean time
my prayers for continued success
Old 10-21-2007, 11:51 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  
*~10 YEARS BABY~*

Originally Posted by helpus View Post
I was with my RAD yesterday and she told me she ran out of her anti depressant med. I started to grab my cell so I could see if we could catch the Dr's office before they closed, then I asked when did you run out? She said a month ago. She still has the pediatrition as her Dr. She had an appt last spring with a new Dr for a new paitent exam ect but then she ended up without insuranace so she canceled it. It took a few months to get some insurence rolling for her. She says she feels fine. This coming fri she will have 6 months clean. My concern is, she has had 6 months before & was off her meds (prozac) and relapsed. I am worried she will self medicate. I expressed my concerns to her & she said she doesn't want to be on medication for her whole life & really does feel fine. I know it is her decision. I am struggling letting go of this.
Ouch, I'm sorry that sucks. Medication is one of those weird things..
Those who need it almost always think when they are feeling better
that they don't need it anymore, but it takes a few relapses of whatever
to make them realize that they do need it.
Do you know who Maurice Bernard is? He talks about his ride with it
and it's very interesting.
You can't force her to take it, but if it were me I would keep an eye on her,
an maybe just ask her one more time about it if you see her going down
hill. If she still refuses then I guess let it go. That is "ME" what I would
feel comfortable with, because I know that I've done the same thing as
your daughter. It SUCKS having to be on medication, and I would LOVE to
not have to take them anymore. It's easy to convince yourself that you don't
need them anymore.

But you have to do what you feel is right. If totally stepping back feels better, then do that. Whatever you do, will be the right decision.

:ghug
Old 10-21-2007, 01:42 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Administrator

I'm sorry you are struggling with this...probably part of the jitters as the 6 month point comes up. Sometimes antidepressants aren't an all or nothing situation...sometimes they are needed to get through bouts of depression. I have gone years with no need but then go through a cycle of depression where I need it. Keep believing and :codiepolice Hugs
Old 10-21-2007, 09:26 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  
get it, give it, grow in it

Unfort. our fear and worry won't make anyone do anything. Thist is so common for the recovering addict to say they don't want to be on antidepress. meds at all or not for long but they were/are happy to be on drugs/alcohol as a way of life...go figure. Remember it is her life. I must constantly tell myself:Let go and Let God or just Let go. We can make suggestions but nagging them only alienates and worrying only stresses us. Be at peace
Old 10-21-2007, 09:41 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

If she says she is feeling okay then she probably is. She will know if she feels depressed and needs to take them again. Once when I took an antidepressant I wanted off of it because I felt fine. I just stopped taking them and I didn't experience any side effect from stopping them. I didn't feel a need for them again. I realize her case is different because of her drug addiction. She is in charge and no matter what you say she will do what she thinks is best for her.

Hugs...........Lo