Feeling Great

Old 10-14-2007, 01:51 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Feeling Great

Today I started the Nar-Anon meetings at a rehab near me. It felt so good to be doing this. I had a few family members share, one was a girl who is a heroin addict, she has been clean for 14 months, she was there to visit her sister who has been clean for 27 days. We had people asking about the program and what the difference was between Al-anon and Nar-anon, and if they could go to either of them. The only thing I wanted out of this to let the families know they are not alone. When the 3 of us were leaving we had patients come up to us outside and thank us for taking the time to do this for their families. Most of the people who came up to us did not see their families this week, and still gave us a hug and said thank you. That made the trip worth it for me. Here the addict was thanking us for taking time to speak to the families, some even asked when we would be back since they want their family to go to a Nar-Anon meeting.
Thanks for letting me share this, if feels so much better to give a good report and not to just vent.
Hugs to all of you, :ghug
Old 10-14-2007, 02:35 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
remember to breathe

How nice it must feel to help a slew of people without realizing it.

I"m happy for you and glad there are people like you
Old 10-14-2007, 02:49 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I'm sure you helped even more people than who told you. Good for you for setting a good example for all of us. Thanks for sharing, both at that meeting and now.
Terri
Old 10-14-2007, 08:20 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Administrator

Pam - thanks for giving back to the community and helping those families.

My kids were really happy when we started attending Naranon...I know my daughter felt a lot of guilt about how sick I had become so she was so glad I was getting help too. Hugs
Old 10-14-2007, 08:38 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Southern through and through

Pam,

You know the line... "You can't keep it unless you give it away." And you are doing just that, and I'm so proud of you for doing this. What a gift you are giving those people!

I sometimes think about what if no one had been there for me for me when I so desperately walked through the doors of Al Anon (no Nar Anon in our town). I only know I plan to be at meetings until they cover me up. They are that important to me.

Thanks for carrying the message.

Hugs,
Hangin' In